Vibrant Exhaust Too Loud

sirmudge

:
Blazing Yellow Mica 2003.5 MSP #1291
So I have the Vibrant exhaust system on my mazdaspeed protege and it is fine in the city, but its too loud on the highway even with the silencer in. What can i do to fix this?

you could add a resonator or replace the muffler altogether with something less audible. if you are catless you could always just add a high flow cat.

+1 on resonators I have 2 small ones and it made a world of differnce.

I have the vibrant with the street power and it will make it quieter than without the silencer. If it is to loud for you with the silencer in you might be out of luck.

yep i knew which one you had will which is why i linked those. i've heard will's exhaust and it's not loud at all.

What about replacing the muffler with a twin loop style muffler? I hear those are supposed to be quieter.

Do resonators add backpressure? I hate the drone of my corksport 2.5" on the highway. It is catless with 1 resonator and I was thinking of adding another resonator to quiet down the drown. But it sounds like it is coming more from the back of the cabin where the muffler is. I wonder if a second resonator would help that.

they could i suppose but there straight through most of the time with fiber glass packed walls the reduce sound and vibration.

I just bought a vibrant street power muffler but haven't installed yet. I held it on the end of my pipe and I really liked the sound. I guess going from absolute straight pipe most anything would sound better.

You should look into a "turbo muffler". It's got an s shaped channel inside that's supposed to quiet things down quite a bit. Do some searching on the internets.

I found a cheap and easy way to reduce exhaust noise if you have a silencer. You take the silencer out and wrap the small end (the end that goes further into the exhaust) with home insulation. Once that is done you wrap some flexible metal wire around the insulation to keep it in place and you re install the silencer. It took me some trial and error to figure out how thickly I could rap it and how far down the length I could go while still having it fit correctly. If you put too much on it it won't go far enough back into the muffler to be secured correctly. It will fall out if not secured as I found out the hard way. Once you get it right though it is noticeably quieter at all speeds and less raspy while flooring it.

Back