Very disapointing fuel economy from recent roadtrip...

What sense does it make to go below 60 mph, assume on a highway with a speed limit of 65 mph? I am yet to see evidence of CX5 beating 30 mph when the car consistently goes above 65 mph up to 75 mph for at least +60 miles.

I suspect OP didn't zero out on the highway or take into account that the drag coefficient on CX-5 (and any vehicle of its stance) is worse than that of a Jetta.
Based on OP's 5 average MPG data from his mom's trip, it apparently uses manual calculation for each fill-up. And his mom was very disappointed on gas mileage for the trip with her current CX-5 AWD comparing to her previous VW Tiguan, not Jetta TDI diesel.

What sense does it make to go below 60 mph, assume on a highway with a speed limit of 65 mph? I am yet to see evidence of CX5 beating 30 mph when the car consistently goes above 65 mph up to 75 mph for at least +60 miles.
Exactly! What's the point driving at 60 mph on the highway with 75 mph speed limit in Texas? Everyone else is driving 80+ mph you'll get tail-gated or even pushed out to the road side by the 18-wheelers! I'd tried to slow down and test the instant MPG during our trip but it became so dangerous for driving at 55~60 mph! I still couldn't reach 30 mpg at that speed based on instant MPG readout.

I have a 2016 GT FWD ,gas mileage has been extremely disappointing, at 80 MPH which is the average speed ( speed limit is 70 ) , I am lucky to hit 24-25, best mileage I have ever seen when I kept it below 70 which was 27-28 , yes the car is broken in at 28000 miles . My previous 2014 Subaru XT with the turbo averaged the same but was rated lower and had much more power even though it required premium .

2013 CX5 T, 2.0/FWD - Worst=22.3 - Best=34.8 - Av=29 mpg over 28.000 miles

2015 CX5 T, 2.5/FWD - Worst=21.4 - Best=32.5 - Av=28.1 mpg (pump) - 27.77 (Dash gauge) over 23.000 miles

As some others have said, my 70 mph average is usually around 30mpg. I usually drive the speed limit. In cities if a light turns yellow I will shift down manually, and slow as much as possible with foot off gas, before applying brakes. The latter can be hard to do in heavy traffic. Also shift down, foot off of gas as much as possible on downhill highway stretches.

For an interesting comparison, I recently got a 2016 VW Jetta, base model S, 5 speed manual, 1.4 TSI engine. Only taken two long trips with it, around 500 miles each. One was 44.2mpg, and the other 43.6. It is a really sweet engine, revs freely, and sounds good doing it. Maximum torque available at a low 1,400 rpm. Why buy a diesel that would cost, $2,850 more, and with expensive fuel. The VW runs on regular also. though it will adjust engine for premium, with a bit more power I guess.

Exactly! What's the point driving at 60 mph on the highway with 75 mph speed limit in Texas? Everyone else is driving 80+ mph you'll get tail-gated or even pushed out to the road side by the 18-wheelers! I'd tried to slow down and test the instant MPG during our trip but it became so dangerous for driving at 55~60 mph! I still couldn't reach 30 mpg at that speed based on instant MPG readout.

Well, the point being is that the EPA fuel economy test is not based on that highway driving profile. That's all. If your driving pattern is similar to the EPA test, you'll likely get the EPA mileage figures. If you drive at higher speeds, don't expect EPA numbers. Its just physics.

Well, the point being is that the EPA fuel economy test is not based on that highway driving profile. That's all. If your driving pattern is similar to the EPA test, you'll likely get the EPA mileage figures. If you drive at higher speeds, don't expect EPA numbers. Its just physics.

The EPA test is SUPER specific, and manufacturer's tune fuel trims, etc. to cater to it, in my OPINION. This is why my CX-5 doesn't get mileage for s*** compared to the sticker, vs. car's I've had in the past. Mazda seems to "game" the EPA window sticker almost as hard as VW gamed emissions.

Current mileage is 25.5, average speed is 27 mph and total miles is 24,000 on my 2014 GT. I am and have been disappointed,

Just for a data point, I've average 30-31mpg per tank with a mix of 90%hwy/10%city. My CX-5 has about 2300 miles on it so far. In the picture below, I stuck to the speed limit exactly on my drive into work, which has a mix of 70, 65, and 55 mph zones, and includes the mile or two from my house to the highway. I was also accelerating very slowly, stayed in the right lane, etc. This was basically just a test to see how high I could get on my way to work (yes, it's a boring drive :)) So yes, driving style has a large influence as well.

y7J6za9.png

For those with “poor” or “not as expected” MPG’s how are you accelerating to reach your target speed? (fast, slow etc...) Also important, what type of driver are you? Do you constantly brake/accelerate or do you monitor road/traffic ahead to reduce braking or accelerating frequency/distances?

I have a feeling that those achieving MPG’s as expected or exceeded expectations accelerate slower and have less frequent brake/accelerate style of driving than those with “poorer” MPG’s.

Also I hope your not sitting there letting the car idle for minutes during first start up. All you need is 10-20 seconds of idle just so the oil properly lubricates the internals. Then just drive normal till the motor fully warms up before getting really aggressive. FYI, cold water temp light turning off doesnt always mean the motor is fully warmed up to “redline” it.

The point is we're comparing real-world highway MPGs of CX-5 AND other vehicles we've owned against EPA's mark. But we usually can meet or beat EPA's highway estimates from other vehicles but not from CX-5! Yeah it's just physics but physics applies to every vehicle not just against our CX-5! Look at another new post upstairs by Goguinness his 2016 VW Jetta has no problem to beat EPA mark on the highway! Like Unobtanium, I have the same doubt that Mazda seems to be programmed CX-5 for better fuel efficiency only for EPA fuel economy test cycles, but not for real-world fuel economy!

The point is we're comparing real-world highway MPGs of CX-5 AND other vehicles we've owned against EPA's mark. But we usually can meet or beat EPA's highway estimates from other vehicles but not from CX-5! Yeah it's just physics but physics applies to every vehicle not just against our CX-5! Look at another new post upstairs by Goguinness his 2016 VW Jetta has no problem to beat EPA mark on the highway! Like Unobtanium, I have the same doubt that Mazda seems to be programmed CX-5 for better fuel efficiency only for EPA fuel economy test cycles, but not for real-world fuel economy!

Seems to me that what's common for many of you is driving at >= 80 MPH, probably with a lead foot and not calculating manually at the pump and only relying on MPG gauge.

I know my MPG gauge is inaccurate up to +-2MPG. If you compare one brand's MPG readout to another, the possibility of error is not negligible and could be high. All you are claiming is that some possibly very inaccurate reading from one vehicle is not the same as very inaccurate reading from another. It is not meaningful. If you want to substantiate your claim, do it properly.

Now, some of you claim they can do ~30 MPG when driving slower, perhaps even 65~70, while some of you claim they can never get even close to 30 MPG, no matter how slow they drive. For the former group I'd say, yeah, you drive too fast. For the latter group I'd say you need to do some experiments driving at different speeds, this will help with your claim. Perhaps something is wrong with your vehicle.
Yes, if the speed limit is 85, like some highways in TX, I would not drive 65 or 70 there, but if the limit is 65 or 70 I would drive 70 (which is what I do here, with real world results where 30 is possible).

Lastly, it was mentioned here and in other threads that Atkinson cycle in the CX-5 is only triggered when you *lightly* press on the accelerator pedal. If you press then release then press again and release again, i.e. modulate a ~constant speed by never letting the engine work in a constant RPM, then you will never benefit from the Atkinson cycle. Most other vehicles don't have this feature, so there is less benefit of driving these cars at constant RPM.

I live in your neck of the woods and notice even the mileage diff going from Red Deer to Calgary. Always better coming back to Red Deer cause it's more down hill. And if you have a head wind, it's definitely noticeable. Seems the CX5 is prone to all these factors.
That being said, I usually have cruise set around 118kph (73 mph) on the QE2. Usually average 40mpg range. (33 us).
Driving through the parks where we need to slow down to 55-60 mph, I've gotten in the 44mpg range (36.6 US).
I don't really pay attention to the mileage anymore since its pretty darn good. I just drove the cx5 the other day and noticed the computer was stuck on 8.4L/100. (33.6mpg CAN or 28 US). That's the wife driving for the last month around town and short highway trips in the general area. Can't complain about that.

And if you're looking at EPA numbers, when we purchased our 2014 CX5, the Canadian EPA number was 46mpg on the window sticker. When the 15's came out, the window sticker read 38mpg. A lot of people were questioning this when two cars were parked next to each other on the lot. They figured the numbers were not realistic and made a change. There's no way I can get the EPA for 14, but I can easily get the 15-16 EPA numbers.

If the EPA test AVG 48 mph, and maxes out at 65mph like the chart below describes, we should not expect to achieve the HWY avg MPG when we are doing an ABOVE AVG mph.

main-qimg-434003e687f32bdebf148eb2eacd1300

7-cr-orig-mpg.gif

One thing worth mentioning is, I have better MPG if I don't use cruise control.

Aside from flat level/no wind conditions I too can get better MPG without using CC. I've also noticed in city if I get up to speed quick..not a jack rabbit launch by any means...and then back off my city mileage is better too.

Another thing to keep in mind is the addition of E10 fuel to the market. My old Jetta wagon lost close to 2 mpg just from that ethanol blend alone. I can't avoid E10, much to my disappointment.

It was a rural area with speed limits around 50-55MPH so that is why I stayed below 60MPH.

When on the expressway/highway, I do around 65-70MPH and that nets me around 29-30MPG.

Doing 80MPH will not net any good MPG, that's a fact. Anything but a low to the ground sports car with deep OD will do poorly at 80MPH.

For those with “poor” or “not as expected” MPG’s how are you accelerating to reach your target speed? (fast, slow etc...) Also important, what type of driver are you? Do you constantly brake/accelerate or do you monitor road/traffic ahead to reduce braking or accelerating frequency/distances?

I have a feeling that those achieving MPG’s as expected or exceeded expectations accelerate slower and have less frequent brake/accelerate style of driving than those with “poorer” MPG’s.

Also I hope your not sitting there letting the car idle for minutes during first start up. All you need is 10-20 seconds of idle just so the oil properly lubricates the internals. Then just drive normal till the motor fully warms up before getting really aggressive. FYI, cold water temp light turning off doesnt always mean the motor is fully warmed up to “redline” it.

I'm not accelerating at all. I set the MPG computer once I'm already at speed, and use cruise control.

It was a rural area with speed limits around 50-55MPH so that is why I stayed below 60MPH.

When on the expressway/highway, I do around 65-70MPH and that nets me around 29-30MPG.

Doing 80MPH will not net any good MPG, that's a fact. Anything but a low to the ground sports car with deep OD will do poorly at 80MPH.

My jeep got sticker at 75ish to 80...

Back