2017~2024 Vehicle Ahead Display not Showing on HUD

Hi everyone- loving my 2021 CX-5 signature upgraded from a previous 2017 GT. The car does have a small quirk the vehicle ahead display shows on the digital dashboard but not on the heads up display, any ideas why?

Maybe because it would be redundant? After all the vehicle ahead should be visible with regular eyeballs.

Maybe they just moved it into the digital display for all models with a digital display. It shows in the HUD for my 18 CX-9 (no digital display in the instrument cluster).

In my '19 GTR, the vehicle ahead display is in both locations and it does have the digital speedometer. You could check in the settings for the active display and see if they added an option to not show it on the HUD

I checked, that as well, there no option. I’ll have them check it when I take it in for its first service

You got 2021 already? Nice.

indeed even on my 2018, it shows the vehicle distance icon also on the Hud if there is vehicle in front. It would be strange if they removed this for 2021.

Yeah, it seems important for safety, or at least peace of mind, to know whether the radar cruise control has a lock on the car in front, and how closely it will try to follow, so it can properly perform its function.

Thanks everyone for your feedback and assistance. I’ll take the car in and have Mazda look at it, probably just a software update.

Thanks everyone for your feedback and assistance. I’ll take the car in and have Mazda look at it, probably just a software update.

Doubtful. Car manufactures don't update software on old vehicles to add features, they update software to fix problems / enhance speed for EXISTING features.

2020/21 does not have the same display layout in the windshield as they previously had on the flip-up screen, there are lots of differences, 2020/21shows a car in the windshield when it is detected and the distance is displayed in digital instrument housing. When setting the distance, setting is briefly displayed in the windscreen.

Reactions: Ali
Unfortunately the Canadian 2021 Cx-5 gets an 8 inch with the old infotainment on the plus side we get wireless apple car play.

There must be big regional differences, on my 2020 I have wireless Apple carplay and Android auto as well as Mazda Connected Services

I assume it’s because of the large car market in the US vs the Canadian market, the cars in the states get more features

I assume it’s because of the large car market in the US vs the Canadian market, the cars in the states get more features

Except, BWJ is in Denmark. :)

As for the US vs. Canada vehicles. With the exception of Mazda, it seems like Canada usually gets better features. Example, the 5th gen CR-V has the option of a pano roof, but not in the US. The Kia Stinger had better options there as well.

Maybe because it would be redundant? After all the vehicle ahead should be visible with regular eyeballs.

Yes, but there is comfort in knowing that your CAR sees the cars ahead, too. For example, it helps you trust (and learn the limits of, in case of bad weather) your stop & go radar cruise control ... and alert you to an issue with your safety equipment if it DOESN’T see cars it should.

Back