2016~2023 USB in Front Console

:
2020 CX-9 GT Sonic
Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere but I couldn't find it. I recently became the proud owner of a 2020 CX-9 GT in Sonic Silver, so far I'm loving the ride. One thing I'd like to figure out though is how to get a USB connection up to the front console. I've literately forgotten my phone every time I've gotten out of the car having it hidden in the armrest.

Has anyone relocated USB port in the front console? Or even just routed a cable there? I could hide a cable in the joint between the leather knee rest and the piano black trim around the side. Has anyone done this? How did you fix the cable in place?

I didn't bother with hiding that USB cable. I put a nice, long and durable braided cable and it is just running from the arm rest connector resting on a passenger seat when not connected. When connected it runs to a vent-mounted phone holder.

Probably very easy to hide on the way to the front console. Not sure though if it could easily egress from the arm rest any other way than where it splits in two. That would indeed avoid cup holder area.
It never bothered me so far, maybe because I don't usually drink and drive ;)

Has anyone relocated USB port in the front console? Or even just routed a cable there? I could hide a cable in the joint between the leather knee rest and the piano black trim around the side. Has anyone done this? How did you fix the cable in place?

I have been considering the same thing. It is on the bucket list but with a new baby it might take a long time before I do it. I don't know if anyone else has done this yet, but I am debating three options, depending on the level of effort and complexity.
1. Simplest option is to do what you proposed and reroute an extension cable to the front. I didn't check in detail but we could probably hide the cable a bit lower (I am thinking at the joint between the leather and the carpeted area.) You could use stick on velcro to secure it (wrap around the cable) if it won't just hold in place in between trims.
2. If you search youtube (and maybe this forum) there are a few step by step on how to do the apple CarPlay - Android auto upgrade. Since that that upgrade required replacing the usb cabling all the way to the centre armrest console. You could use the same path backward to wire an extension back to the front console, and then cut a hole somewhere in the front console storage area to install your usb extension plug in.
3. It looks like the USB module in the 2017 mazda 3 is actually located in the front console storage area. I am not sure if there is enough room for the module back there in the CX-9, but it might be to move the entire USB and SD card module to the front console area for a similar solution. (probably the solution that requires the most modifications.

So not much of an answer unfortunately but hopefully giving you some idea to look at.

I have been considering the same thing. It is on the bucket list but with a new baby it might take a long time before I do it. I don't know if anyone else has done this yet, but I am debating three options, depending on the level of effort and complexity.
1. Simplest option is to do what you proposed and reroute an extension cable to the front. I didn't check in detail but we could probably hide the cable a bit lower (I am thinking at the joint between the leather and the carpeted area.) You could use stick on velcro to secure it (wrap around the cable) if it won't just hold in place in between trims.
2. If you search youtube (and maybe this forum) there are a few step by step on how to do the apple CarPlay - Android auto upgrade. Since that that upgrade required replacing the usb cabling all the way to the centre armrest console. You could use the same path backward to wire an extension back to the front console, and then cut a hole somewhere in the front console storage area to install your usb extension plug in.
3. It looks like the USB module in the 2017 mazda 3 is actually located in the front console storage area. I am not sure if there is enough room for the module back there in the CX-9, but it might be to move the entire USB and SD card module to the front console area for a similar solution. (probably the solution that requires the most modifications.

So not much of an answer unfortunately but hopefully giving you some idea to look at.
Thanks for the CarPlay tip, I'll check that out. The car is only a week old though so I'm not ready to start cutting holes in it :)

I was actually thinking last night that routing the cable down lower might be the easiest way as you suggested. I'll give it a go on the weekend and let you know how it goes.

I looked at it this morning and at the very bottom were the floor carpet meet the plastic it looks like you could easily wedge the cable behind the plastic. I would run all the way to the front in the footwell and come back up from there.

I just use an old school 12V socket plugged into the outlet on the front passenger side ... wire stays out the way.

I just use an old school 12V socket plugged into the outlet on the front passenger side ... wire stays out the way.

12v outlet doesn't provide USB access to the phone...

Hi, I did this is my 19 CX-Gt. Basically, I bought a USB extension cable from Amazon. Drilled a large-ish hole in the center console right behind the current USB location and ran the extension cable toward the front of the car under the center console/shifter/etc. I fished the cable using the same instructions on the "how to add carplay" posts. I have not drilled into the front console for mounting but just have the cable peaking out through a gap. Since I have tons of spare time now...I will try to get you some pics.

Finally got around to routing a cable from the front console to the USB as per Youri’s suggestion. Would like to make it more permanent but my wife probably won’t appreciate me drilling holes in a 2 month old car 😬

I picked up a 10ft Amazon Basics lightning cable thinking it would be cheap and therefore thin and easy to squeeze into the panel gaps. Turns out the Amazon cable is thick and sturdy. I pushed it in as far as I could before the cable started to deform. In hindsight probably should have got a fabric covered one just in case it rattles along the transmissions tunnel. Had maybe 0.5ft of slack left. Overall pretty happy to have the cable neatly tucked away.

Attachments

• 2935CC51-CAB5-4124-9BB8-B324A5FF4A25.jpeg
    2935CC51-CAB5-4124-9BB8-B324A5FF4A25.jpeg
    327.7 KB · Views: 311
  • 31BEA489-F856-4C6D-876B-F893BE272787.jpeg
    31BEA489-F856-4C6D-876B-F893BE272787.jpeg
    209.9 KB · Views: 312
  • 45A97AA2-185C-4BC2-AA92-76A6F1F55EA0.jpeg
    45A97AA2-185C-4BC2-AA92-76A6F1F55EA0.jpeg
    679.7 KB · Views: 300
  • 1D59DFD6-2240-4195-91C1-6BA0FA899462.jpeg
    1D59DFD6-2240-4195-91C1-6BA0FA899462.jpeg
    393.3 KB · Views: 302
Great ! Simple and effective. Thanks for the photo. Once the car is a bit older you can take out the drill and improve the set-up ;)

The head mechanic at the dealership told me it’s important to use an Apple brand cable for any usb connections with Apple products.

My iPod (that I keep music on) kept freezing up during loading. After changing to an Apple cable there are no more issues. 👍🏻

I realize this is more $$ but it may be worth it if anyone is having problems with their Apple iProducts.

Back