US roof rack better than CA ?

kiwi

:
2005 Mazda Tribute
Hi giys,

while checking out the Canadian P5 tonight, it seems the model here comes with garish looking optional roof racks! The ones of the pictures I have seen that you guys in the US seem to have look better. The rear bar is set further back. Is this a third party acces. or does the US model have a better one available than the model from Canada?

cheers

Bri

Soon to be P5 owner!

The canada roof rack is more fuctional than the US one. Thule accessories will fit right on the rack, with nothing else needed. For the US model, it is more like a mini-van roof rack, and you'll have to buy other Thule/Yakima gadgets to attach gear-holding goodies.

I have the roof rack...bolt it on when I carry the bikes...take if off when I don't. Takes like 5-10 minutes.

You're right...if you have just the racks on...it looks pretty dumb. (but looks much better when you have the bike attachments on)

Yakima makes what they call the "Mighty Mites" attachment to factory US roof racks such as those on the P5. They're USD25.00 items you can buy from almost any sporting goods stores. It consists of four small attachments you bolt on to the factory cross bars. You may then attach just about any Yakima accessory (bike, skis, basket, topbox) on to your P5's cross bars.

Thule has the same options...its called the Fat mouth clamp part #FM-1(29.00USD) it allows you to attach thule 724(89.00USD) and 725(99.00USD) ski and snowboard racks to the factory racks...also they sell both the velo vise 889(140.00USD) and big mouth upright 889xt(149.00USD) bike carriers to fit the factory racks..
http://www.thuleracks.com

Last edited:
can anyone tell me if you can easily add the US roof racks to the canadian model?

thanks guys

b

kiwi said:
can anyone tell me if you can easily add the US roof racks to the canadian model?

thanks guys

b

giveing you this answer I will consider the fact that you said EASILY add the US rack...the answer is NO. NOT easily.....and it would be a lot more expensive as you would have to purchase a lot of parts other than just the rack....the install would be fairly expensive I would think if you had a dealer do it...as it would require removing the entire head liner....putting some holes through the roof....maybe even welding in the runners in the roof grooves....replacing all that weatherstripping, of course the purchase of the rack itself and then all the covers that go over the top of the roof channel, AND the caps that cover it up when you have the rack removed.....

Back