US Diesel's big splash introduction

With EPA certification hopefully coming soon, can we put an over / under on what the MPG figures will be?
I'm half tempted to start a poll and see what people think it'll come in at.

will we see the mythical 40mpg???
this could kind of fun

Epa figures I'm thinking 27/37 give or take 1 for awd..real world with kaps as my driver..50 all day long(rofl)

In the motormouth video with the Canadian PR lady she mentions the diesel already passing the EPA (0:50) so it seems that hurdle is already passed as well. The conditional certification also allows Mazda to go ahead and start production of vehicles now. They have a period of time, 180 days, to make OBII calibration changes to fully comply to Carb requests. They then have 4 weeks, after carb approves the changes to implement changes (software calibration) in the form of voluntary recall for those vehicles already on the road. In light of that it may not take that many months for Mazda to ship vehicles here, depending on how production-ready they are.

In the motormouth video with the Canadian PR lady she mentions the diesel already passing the EPA (0:50) so it seems that hurdle is already passed as well. The conditional certification also allows Mazda to go ahead and start production of vehicles now. They have a period of time, 180 days, to make OBII calibration changes to fully comply to Carb requests. They then have 4 weeks, after carb approves the changes to implement changes (software calibration) in the form of voluntary recall for those vehicles already on the road. In light of that it may not take that many months for Mazda to ship vehicles here, depending on how production-ready they are.

But in that video she also says end of 2018 and maybe a 2019 model.

I'm guessing 2019 MY arriving in early-mid fall this yr- thanks for that vid dougal..Cute chick talking diesel..just doesn't get much better than that!(spin)--fine she maybe more nerdy than cute but she totally had me at diesel.

Last edited:
Well, 188/332 is kindof impressive. I'm curious what it means in the real world for performance. That said, here, diesel is expensive, so the mpg isn't a motivator at all from the $$ standpoint, but it sure would be nice to have a vehicle with decent highway range again.

2021? WRX Sti
2019 RAV4
2030? CX5D/CX5SA-X

My short list.

Well, 188/332 is kindof impressive. I'm curious what it means in the real world for performance. That said, here, diesel is expensive, so the mpg isn't a motivator at all from the $$ standpoint, but it sure would be nice to have a vehicle with decent highway range again.

2021? WRX Sti
2019 RAV4
2030? CX5D/CX5SA-X

My short list.

Diesel here in Dallas was same price as 87 octane. I paid 2.69 for my 87 - that is highest I have paid, previous high was 2.25 - this was not my fav gas station but I could not go there for some reason. I look at diesel price - 2.69
Thing is - diesel demand in EU might drop - which means overall prices might drop.

Epa figures I'm thinking 27/37 give or take 1 for awd..real world with kaps as my driver..50 all day long(rofl)

I am finally hitting 33 mpg on FWD gen 1 - with a worn out tire at 20K miles and a fresh dose of Mazda Moly. I will get my new filter soon and have more fun.

I'm seeing diesel for 2.99 and regular is now only about 20c less..as I've stated here seasonal variance..gas generally goes higher in summer, while diesel stays more constant but can go up and/or be relatively expensive in winter depending on temps with the added heating oil draw..at least in the NE..

That said, here, diesel is expensive, so the mpg isn't a motivator at all from the $$ standpoint, but it sure would be nice to have a vehicle with decent highway range again.
Diesel is more expensive now in CA because the legislatures F'd us a few months ago and started taxing the crap out of it. (we tax the hell out of things we don't like here in California. (rant) ) With that said, cost could still play a role here given the expected increases in fuel economy and range.

Some rough math:
  • 87 Octane is $3.39 per gallon
  • Diesel is $3.59 per gallon
  • $.20 difference results in roughly a 6% premium on diesel over 87 octane

2018 CX-5 AWD = 24/30 mpg

Assuming a 10% greater efficiency with Diesel = 26/33 mpg
20% increase in fuel efficienty = 29/36 mpg
That could potentially be a total range of 550 miles! (15.3 gallons x 36 mpg)

Cost:
2018 AWD CX-5 in Machine Gray with Premium Package = $33,615
Diesel engine cost of 10 - 15% premium = additional $3361 - $5,042.
New cost of the vehicle goes up to: $36,976 - $38,657

Bottom line: I'd be paying about 10% more for the car and roughly 6% more for the fuel but could potentially see 20% greater fuel economy. Hmmmm.....
Not to mention more torque, probably better driveability, and the benefits of extended range. I drive about 100 miles per day so for me it might be worth getting.

Last edited:
A key factor is distance.

The more one travels the more noticeable the fuel savings in the long run.

totally agree.
my girlfriend drives 2.5 miles to work each morning. If I had her commute, I'd drive some obnoxious HEMI powered monster because...well... why not.

with my commute, I think I'd quickly realize the benefits of the 2.2D over the 2.5.
who knows.
we'll see if I have the patience to keep waiting for this unicorn.

totally agree.
my girlfriend drives 2.5 miles to work each morning. If I had her commute, I'd drive some obnoxious HEMI powered monster because...well... why not.

with my commute, I think I'd quickly realize the benefits of the 2.2D over the 2.5.
who knows.
we'll see if I have the patience to keep waiting for this unicorn.

My regular commutes here are not long enough for me to justify in getting the diesel plus I don't tow anything.

When the update arrives, 2.5 will do me just fine.

I'm guessing 2019 MY arriving in early-mid fall this yr- thanks for that vid dougal..Cute chick talking diesel..just doesn't get much better than that!(spin)--fine she maybe more nerdy than cute but she totally had me at diesel.

No I'm totally with you on that. Though I admit i totally have a bias to cute 'nerdy' girls (naughty)

That said, here, diesel is expensive

May not make sense for you then unless you value the added torque/range highly.

Up here on the left coast of Canada, diesel generally runs +/- 15 CDN LESS than regular gas per liter (+/- 60 CDN per gallon).

That's a lot of 'worth it'.

Over here unleaded (regular) gets discounted on a regular basis whilst diesel doesn't (government tax structure)

Diesel is more expensive now in CA because the legislatures F'd us a few months ago and started taxing the crap out of it. (we tax the hell out of things we don't like here in California. (rant) ) With that said, cost could still play a role here given the expected increases in fuel economy and range.

Some rough math:
  • 87 Octane is $3.39 per gallon
  • Diesel is $3.59 per gallon
  • $.20 difference results in roughly a 6% premium on diesel over 87 octane

2018 CX-5 AWD = 24/30 mpg

Assuming a 10% greater efficiency with Diesel = 26/33 mpg
20% increase in fuel efficienty = 29/36 mpg
That could potentially be a total range of 550 miles! (15.3 gallons x 36 mpg)

Cost:
2018 AWD CX-5 in Machine Gray with Premium Package = $33,615
Diesel engine cost of 10 - 15% premium = additional $3361 - $5,042.
New cost of the vehicle goes up to: $36,976 - $38,657

Bottom line: I'd be paying about 10% more for the car and roughly 6% more for the fuel but could potentially see 20% greater fuel economy. Hmmmm.....
Not to mention more torque, probably better driveability, and the benefits of extended range. I drive about 100 miles per day so for me it might be worth getting.

The extra range is the only factor for me there. Good math though.

totally agree.

The problem with SHORT COMMUTES on the diesel is that it will never warm up properly to burn off deposits and see peak efficiency.

Most engines require 10-15 miles of driving to prevent crankcase condensation and other issues due to not reaching and maintaining operating temperatures (moisture in exhaust causing rust, etc)

With diesels the same problems can happen but even more so since diesels use compression to ignite the diesel fuel and peak efficiency is only achieved once the pistons and rings expand at operating temps.

Back