Upgraded from 2013 to 2017

:
Mazda CX5 Grand Touring
I'd been debating this for a while. I've had my 2013 Grand Touring since 2012 and I loved it, but I really wanted to test drive a new one. Figured maybe now was the time to trade mine in at a good price. Saturday I went to look 2018s, they had a bunch of 2017s left with good incentives. Test drove a 2017 Grand Touring, they made me an offer I coudn't refuse, and I drove it home :) Now to learn all these new bells and whistles...

Congrats!

I will be keeping my 2014 for many more years. Maybe when Skyactiv-X comes out I'll take a look again, but even then...eh.

I'd been debating this for a while. I've had my 2013 Grand Touring since 2012 and I loved it, but I really wanted to test drive a new one. Figured maybe now was the time to trade mine in at a good price. Saturday I went to look 2018s, they had a bunch of 2017s left with good incentives. Test drove a 2017 Grand Touring, they made me an offer I coudn't refuse, and I drove it home :) Now to learn all these new bells and whistles...

congrats on your new car and your deal. there really isn't much difference between the 17' and 18' except for the cylinder deactivation and some other minor changes.

Congrats!

I will be keeping my 2014 for many more years. Maybe when Skyactiv-X comes out I'll take a look again, but even then...eh.

I am in the same boat. I would pony up for a diesel or a 2.5T but otherwise, I will either stick with my 2014 GT for another 60-80K miles.

+1, curious about that, too, and how many miles it had, etc?

It was a Sky Blue Mica Grand Touring w/tech package, just under 67,000 miles on it, good shape, no accidents or insurance claims. We haggled a bit then they offered me $13k for it, and 0% financing on new car. They really wanted my 2013, said the color made it more valuable.

Wow!! You really did score! Congrats again!! Added bonus..you're among the few (at least around here) that upgraded and didn't get any slower!

Last edited:
It was a Sky Blue Mica Grand Touring w/tech package, just under 67,000 miles on it, good shape, no accidents or insurance claims. We haggled a bit then they offered me $13k for it, and 0% financing on new car. They really wanted my 2013, said the color made it more valuable.

Sky Blue was a fantastic color for the CX-5. I think 2014 was the last year they had it.

What color did you go with on the new CX-5?

Went with the Eternal Blue Mica. I loved that Sky Blue so much, wanted to get as close as I could to it. Really like the Eternal Blue.

How does 2013 compare to 2017, especially in ride quality/noise, in your opinion?

Wow!! You really did score! Congrats again!! Added bonus..you're among the few (at least around here) that upgraded and didn't get any slower!

Oh yeah I noticed right away when test driving how much more "zoom zoom" the 2017 has vs. the 2013. More responsive and faster acceleration getting onto the highway.

I think it's quieter and smoother ride, too.

What did you give for the new car, and what was sticker?

Oh yeah I noticed right away when test driving how much more "zoom zoom" the 2017 has vs. the 2013. More responsive and faster acceleration getting onto the highway.

I think it's quieter and smoother ride, too.

2013 just had the 2.0L engine right?

^^Yep 2L only for the 2013..that's how I knew she didn't get any slower assuming no heavy mods:)

Last edited:
Same boat as you OP. I didnt have a GT 2013, had the base GX with 2.0 engine. I also chepaed out a bit went with the GS (touring ) with tech package as I got a good deal and trade offer on my 13 from a particual dealer. Had the fog lights and trailer hitch installed there too as I figured I was saving at least $5-6K from going GT model, and swapped rims out but stayed 17" for cost savings a better ride comfort over 19"....prol should have went 18"s but a well Im a sucker for deals and saving $$ which I blow on other things lol. Oh and I ordered the GPS card from Amazon, just got it today!

Last thing I want to do is address the audio for not getting the bose system in the mid level. Probably going to go underseat sub to start then door speaker upgrades.

Overall much better ride than the 2013, and and least for me, the jump in tourqe and HP was very noticable for me since I was driving the very underwhealimg 2.0L for like 5 years. Much more quiet. Rear seats got roomier at the expense of the trunk, but this my DD so no biggie really. So it felt worth it in the end for the swap.

Things I disklike: Well, kinda wish I did splurge for the GT, for nothing more than the bose and rear heated seats (for bragging more than anything lol) but I actually reall like the leather trimed pieces on the middle console where your leg rests up on. I like the look of it. Undecided about the leatherette, I love that its warm in the winter, just seems to be a magnet for debris with that insert. Wish they stuck with a tranditional head unit vs the tablet, or at least had gone an 1" bigger on the tablet to 8" Other than that, I knew what I was getting into, loved my '13 made me a Mazda convert. No other car stacked up to what I was looking for or did but had a crummy CVT tranny which is deal breaker for me right of the bat. Only other car I considered was a 16 RDX, but I basically got a new/demeo CX5 for a $2K less, plus "zero" percent financing...which is basically cost you $2500 baked into the price of the car...would have paid way more in interest going used car loan or even on my line of credit for the RDX.

Love my CX5 overall!.

Last thing I want to do is address the audio for not getting the bose system in the mid level. Probably going to go underseat sub to start then door speaker upgrades.

I REALLY wish Mazda would put that in a separate package, available in their mid level trims.

I REALLY wish Mazda would put that in a separate package, available in their mid level trims.

Maybe expand the range. We have 5 grades and bose is available on top 2 grades

BTW OP - congratulations! :D

Back