Uk 2litre petrol best fuel economy and range

bigc218

:
Mazda cx 5
Just taken my 2018 cx5 sport nav on it's first proper long drive, from Portsmouth to bishops stortford then home via Brighton and Basingstoke. So far I have done 399 miles on the tank, averaged 43.9 mpg (uk gallons.) Although I did see over 45 mpg average on the way there. Range suggests I have 85 miles left. Mainly drove on cruise control as I do everywhere I go, sitting at 70-75 mpg on motorway had no issues with needing to drop gears to overtake.

Very impressed, given my previous car, Kia sportage 1,7diesel only managed 48mpg on long trips. Given the bad press diesel is getting in the UK , Mazda should be marketing the he'll out there real mpg , they are consistently top in the what car real mpg tests they do.

What's your best?

Last edited:
2015 CX-5 2.5L
Recent 4,200km (2,600mi) trip from Ontario to Prince Edward Island. Best tank - 7.35L/100km (32.01mpg US). Average 7.8L/100km (30.16mpg).
Loaded. Hilly tereain 1/3 length of the trip. Average 106km/h, over speed limit for most of the time.

Ive got a 2018 petrol and once you learn how to work the gears, theres no issues with the power. Only time it seems to struggle is when a Hill/incline appears when I wasnt ready for it. It can then take a bit of time to get back up to speed.

Id test drove the diesel and the day I went to test drive the petrol, Volvo announced they were halting manufacturing of all new diesel cars. That did it for me.

Ive done quite a few 200 mike trips in it. Im really pleased with the fuel economy. Today did Cardiff to Southampton and back on about 43mpg.

A turbo petrol or diesel won't struggle on any hill, I haven't driven a NA or fwd car since 1999. If that sort of car uses more fuel then I don't mind as the performance is worth it IMO

Back