Trunk not opening 2017 CX-5

:
2017 Mazda CX-5 GT
Hi group

The strap of my backpack got stuck in the closing mechanism of my CX5 and now it will not open. I looked on the mazda website and it says that there is a lever that I can push to manually open it but I am not finding it. Any advice on what I should do?

Attachments

• 20220126_200053.jpg
    20220126_200053.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 170
  • received_521241592482382.jpeg
    received_521241592482382.jpeg
    50 KB · Views: 126
Its a power lift gate and I tried pushing down on the lever but still does not seem to open the trunk

I would try pushing in on rear gate (from the outside) while I hit the liftgate button on the remote

Push down on the lever shown in @Silly Wabbit's picture while giving the liftgate a few shoves from inside. You can use a screwdriver to push the lever, it might make it easier to apply force. If you can't push it down, try "jiggling" it up and down, it should have some movement.

If there's no movement, you may have to figure out a way to cut the strap and pull it out somehow.

I'm able to push down with my finger but after a certain point it doesn't seem to budge. The lever seems to be able to move but it needs like a few degrees more to unlock the door which i cannot seem to force. I also tried doing that while kicking the door open but not much happening.

I'm able to push down with my finger but after a certain point it doesn't seem to budge. The lever seems to be able to move but it needs like a few degrees more to unlock the door which i cannot seem to force. I also tried doing that while kicking the door open but not much happening.

The latch must have closed on the strap in such a way that it bunched up and is preventing the latch from opening all the way. Can you pull on the strap from the outside of the car while someone else pushes down on the lever? If you can't pull it from the outside, try pulling from the inside.

Strap does not reach the outside unfortunately. I tried to pull from the inside but it is not moving at all.

Strap does not reach the outside unfortunately. I tried to pull from the inside but it is not moving at all.

I don't suppose you're able to see into the mechanism? Doesn't look like there's much room, and without seeing how the strap is preventing the latch from opening, I don't know if there's much else that can be done.

Nope can't see into it. I will try to maneuver it again from the outside but it seems like I'll have to take it to the shop.

How about trying to push the strap in further with a thin blade screwdriver? Doing that might release the binding that's taking place in the latch/lock mechanism and let it open up. Or if not, then perhaps it would at least free up enough to be able to push/pull it in and out, and maybe work it free that way.

Have someone push down (close) the gate door from the outside while trying to activate the mechanism from the inside? Sounds like something is binding.

After attempting all of these suggestions and struggling massively, some guy walked by and saw my troubles so he pushed on the trunk handle outside and pulled up aggressively and dislodged the lock and strap. Trunk door is functioning again. Thank you all for your help and suggestions!

Back