Tried to order a CX-5 today

ch3no2

'23 CX-5 Turbo Sig
Drove over to one of the two closest Mazda dealerships today. Wished to sign up for a Turbo Signature, willing to bite the bullet and pay MSRP, purchase full 3M film paint protection, with trailer hitch, sunscreen, splash guards, and cargo mat. They told me they would have to order, would be three months, and it was mandatory I purchase $1,200.00 in fabric protection, spray-on paint protection, and nitrogen filled tires. They could accommodate my extras, but that would be on top of the $1,200 BS. I politely left. Going to visit the other close dealership on July 1st.

I've been waiting for a Turbo Signature since April and ours finally made it to port this week. The Signature models seem to be in very short supply so most of the Bay Area & NorCal dealers are asking $2-5K over MSRP, or requiring stupid overpriced add-ons such as the above dealer quoted. What is even sadder is that there are folks out there willing to pay it.

The dealer I've bought my last 3 Mazdas from does not do ADMs although I am paying for a required parking protection package on this one, an additional $285, but there are no other market-adjusted additional fees so It's been worth the wait. I began the search for the rarest Signature color, EMB, back in February, but it wasn't until April that the sales manager was able to trade another dealer for an allocation, and then the VIN wasn't built until May 16th due to a plant shut-down.

Depending on where you live or if you are able to drive a bit you should be able to find the model you want for a fair price if you're willing to wait.

Good luck in your quest and please keep us posted on your progress.

I think by now most of everyone knows the tacked on packages are just BS. I feel more respected and inclined to go thru the purchase if they just tell it like it is and list the $1200 as simply dealership mark up. Then explain with the limited supplies, they have to keep the lights on somehow and play the sympathy card

Ordering a vehicle, will take longer in the coming months.. Waited 2 months to get my vehicle. racked up 4k in miles on their brand new Cx-5 loaner vehicle while waiting lol.

Ordering a vehicle, will take longer in the coming months.. Waited 2 months to get my vehicle. racked up 4k in miles on their brand new Cx-5 loaner vehicle while waiting lol.
They gave you a loaner while they waited for your car to arrive??

yea, traded my original car and they said my new car would be here in a week and gave me the 2022 cx-5 loaner 20 miles on it, lol. that week turned into 2 months.

If you're give them your trade then they have a near guaranteed sale. Berge Mazda treated me very well. While not offering a loaner, they upheld the deal, sales price, and trade in allowance for the 4 weeks it too my new car to come in

Drove over to one of the two closest Mazda dealerships today. Wished to sign up for a Turbo Signature, willing to bite the bullet and pay MSRP, purchase full 3M film paint protection, with trailer hitch, sunscreen, splash guards, and cargo mat. They told me they would have to order, would be three months, and it was mandatory I purchase $1,200.00 in fabric protection, spray-on paint protection, and nitrogen filled tires. They could accommodate my extras, but that would be on top of the $1,200 BS. I politely left. Going to visit the other close dealership on July 1st.

Wow, you did WAY better than I would have. I certainly would have walked out the door but my comments on the way out wouldn't have been very polite...

None of that is "mandatory". I'd call Mazda customer service and let corporate know the shenanigans that stealership is up to.
Why would Mazda care? This isn’t “shenanigans” but instead is a standard practice with dealers for many manufacturers, the solution is to tell them “no I don’t want that“. If they insist, get them to drop the price, or just walk. No reason to get shi**y with them, just leave quietly.

When I bought my CE it already had the “desert package” installed for $800. I told them I didn’t want to pay for it, we finally settled for $200. I’d have spent almost that on the included items I wanted, they got most of their cost covered so win-win.

Why would Mazda care? This isn’t “shenanigans” but instead is a standard practice with dealers for many manufacturers, the solution is to tell them “no I don’t want that“. If they insist, get them to drop the price, or just walk. No reason to get shi**y with them, just leave quietly.

When I bought my CE it already had the “desert package” installed for $800. I told them I didn’t want to pay for it, we finally settled for $200. I’d have spent almost that on the included items I wanted, they got most of their cost covered so win-win.
What was in the desert package? I'm thousands of miles from the nearest desert.

Just curious: wouldn't be cheaper to go and buy it from a different state? Wherever it's available what you're looking for?

I thought about that. Not sure how that works as far as registering it back home, etc. Also, it would have to be flat-bedded back home as well. At the end of the day I think I am going to find it's a terrible time to purchase a vehicle. Might end up shooting for next year. Looks like a recession is coming. When that happens people will refrain from making big purchases. I see interest rates are climbing as well. I could have an awfully large down payment next year, and maybe the stealerships will be offering low rates to attract customers. Don't need a vehicle now. The winter daily driver has 198,000k on it and is starting to rust out- but still runs great. It needs a timing belt preventatively and I don't wish to enter the money pit era with it. The other daily driver is a truck in great shape. Would like to just "park" it for when I need a truck. I really wished to just be ready with nice ride in the garage I can use year round.

I thought about that. Not sure how that works as far as registering it back home, etc. Also, it would have to be flat-bedded back home as well.
The dealer can probably register it for your state and you can drive it home with temp tags. I know I bought a car several years ago from a neighboring state (at least) and that's how it worked for me.

The dealer can probably register it for your state and you can drive it home with temp tags. I know I bought a car several years ago from a neighboring state (at least) and that's how it worked for me.
That is correct. Op should absolutely buy out of state for best deal and drive it home

And, if you buy it out of state, you can use that to negotiate getting rid of those insane "doc fees", because you won't be paying their local title, tax, and tag. Just tell them you'll take care of that at your local DMV yourself.

I've bought several vehicles out of state, and at least in my home state of SC, they simply need the Bill of Sale. (Interestingly enough, no BoS needed if buying local here).

I would probably wait it out. I read that many cars are showing up with no power lift gate or Bose stereo due to the chip shortage,. They give you a monetary credit for the missing items but the stock Mazda stereo is pretty crappy. I also feel that would make for a less desirable car down the road if you went to sell or trade it..

Back