Transmission noise/vibration in 6th gear

I just picked up 2021.5 CX-5 GS with comfort package. It was less than 200km on it but I’ve noticed that while driving on the highway the transmission makes almost a whine/droning noise around 2000RPM. The sound will go away just under 1500RPM and below or 2300RPM and above. It can be slightly felt in the steering wheel and throughout the body of the vehicle, though I will admit most people may not notice.

It’s hard to describe but noticeable enough that I picked up on it the first time I drove on the highway.

Has anyone else noticed this? Before I make a service appointment I wanted to make sure it’s not a characteristic of the vehicle.

⋯ Has anyone else noticed this? Before I make a service appointment I wanted to make sure it’s not a characteristic of the vehicle.
The best way to clear your doubt is while at your dealership, try to drive another new CX-5 and see if you can duplicate the same noise like yours under the same condition.

Found a new tsb, around the whining/drone noise, however there isnt much information published. is there a way to get a the full report?

Mazda TSB SA-006-22 — 2016 CX-5 | CarComplaints.com
There's a little more info about that TSB at the link below. It's a warning to service departments that wheel bearing whine is being misdiagnosed as a trans issue. Note there are two postings of that TSB; the second identifies the component as "Front suspension wheel bearing". I don't see a separate 2021 TSB for wheel bearings so this looks like just an advisory.

The recommendation in post #2 makes sense. Or get a tech in your vehicle and recreate the problem, if it is a problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back