Transmission Making Metal

My 2019 CX-9 started making a noise that was random as well as repetitive. It's most noticeable when I let off of the accelerator. At times it sounds almost like a grease gun (slow firing machine gun) The Mazda service center said that there is metal in the transmission pan. The car has 63k miles on it. I heard the noise in the pan while on the lift but it didn't sound like the noise that I was hearing in the car. Anyway, they tell me that I need a new transmission. Anyone else had a problem like this? The transmission shifts fine. Thanks!

That doesn't sound right to me and if the transmission shifts fine then their diagnosis is horrendously questionable. Did they even hook up a scan tool to check for tcm codes or drive it with tool connected to capture live and freeze frame data and look at the shift points for slippage? If not, take it to another shop. You don't diagnose a noise by just saying you need a transmission and the likelihood of such a young car with little miles on it needing one is very low. Btw, there is always metal in the pan that gets worn off and adhered to the magnet inside the pan.

That doesn't sound right to me and if the transmission shifts fine then their diagnosis is horrendously questionable. Did they even hook up a scan tool to check for tcm codes or drive it with tool connected to capture live and freeze frame data and look at the shift points for slippage? If not, take it to another shop. You don't diagnose a noise by just saying you need a transmission and the likelihood of such a young car with little miles on it needing one is very low. Btw, there is always metal in the pan that gets worn off and adhered to the magnet inside the pan.
It's the Mazda dealership where I bought the car new. I have argued with them that I don't think that they have found the problem that I brought it in for. They are adamant that the transmission is the problem. I find it very difficult to believe since the transmission shifted perfectly.

There was a time when the first dealership I took my 89 MX6 GT to couldn't figure out what was wrong so I took it to one with a better mechanic. That guy had no problem diagnosing and fixing the issue.
So my advice is to take it to a different dealership. Your warranty is good at any Mazda dealership.

On the other hand, this person with a 202 just had his transmission changed under warranty, so maybe there is an issue with the transmissions.

.... So my advice is to take it to a different dealership. Your warranty is good at any Mazda dealership. ....
If there was an active warranty, this thread wouldn't even exist;)

To the OP - you wrote that they let you listen to 'noise from the pan' while the vehicle was on the lift. But did they drain the ATF from your vehicle to inspect it? If not, and you don't DIY, then take it to an independent shop, tell them what the stealership said, and first ask for their opinion. If they have a completely different diagnosis, then you can decide if you want to allow them to continue with that or not.

However, if they also believe a damaged tranny is a possibility, then ask them to drain the fluid, and take a look at what comes out of the pan with your own eyes. Before taking it in, buy 5 quarts of whatever ATF fluid is specified in your owner's manual, in order for the tranny to be properly refilled by the shop.

I think that after only 3 years of ownership, even if the odometer number is beyond the factory warranty, Mazda should pay for at least half of the bill for a new trans. Some manufacturer's dealerships will install a factory refurbished (with new upgraded components) at a good discount. If the trans is indeed in need of replacement, the OP should check to see if these options are available.

Back