Trailer hitch for bike rack - what size?

MazdaDriverNJ

Contributor
:
2013 Mazda CX-5 Touring FWD
Quick question, maybe someone could offer some advice: I want to install a trailer hitch (standard) to carry 2 bikes. I looked into a couple different brands but what puzzles me is that trailer hitch for class I come in 1.25" size, but the bike rack seems to need 2" hitch. Or am I totally wrong? This is the first time I'm contemplating a trailer hitch install - never had it before on any other of my cars, so any advice is appreciated. I'm not planning to tow anything, just get a bike rack.
I was looking at CURT hitch and CURT bike rack (they come in different colors!)

Thanks!

Both Yakima and Thule offer hitch mounts that fit both 1.25 and 2 out of the box. 1.25 is plenty for most applications. The 2" is only needed for 5 bikes, 4 bike Swing designs or a 4 bike tray system. So we need a bit more info on how often you'll be using the rack, type and qty of bikes (nicer bikes warrant a better rack than the Kmart special).

The Curt Class II (still 1.25) is rated with a tongue load of 350lbs and that's what I installed. The Class I is rated for less and I'm not sure Curt even makes one for the CX-5. I had a Class I on my Mazda 6s and that was shaky with more than 2 bikes.

Also think about the fit of the bike on the mount before color of the rack. That Curt Bike rack really only works with a traditional diamond shaped steel frame. I wouldn't use it with other materials or nicer bikes. There is too much pressure on the middle of the top tube and it doesn't accommodate larger tubing or irregular shapes.

If your using the hitch for any real towing then I'd go for the 2 inch, but if you are just carrying a couple of bikes, the 1.25 is fine. I'm a Yakima rep for New England so I've installed, used and sold a bunch of these. Ask away if you have any other specific questions.

It looks like rjdee is prepared to give you all the info you need (and possibly more!). I will simply add that I had a Curt hitch on my Frontier pickup and they make a dynamite product at a very reasonable cost. I plan on using their hitch on my CX-5 for the same reason you are. I will carry two bikes and will reuse the Allen bike carrier I bought on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned) for $69. It's very sturdy and gets the job done for me. For my purposes, I would not spend the kind of money that Yakima or Thule command for their racks unless you have some very special needs. BTW, the Allen rack has provisions for both 1.25" and 2" hitch size.

Thank you to both of you guys for responses. Yes Yakima and Thule are great products but a bit more than I was hoping to spend.. We have Thule cargo carrier and have been happy with it.
My use would be for 2 bikes, very recreational. My daughter and I have already explored almost everything there is in our immediate area, so now she's been asking if we can go to a park, and other places, to ride bikes. I do not plan to tow anything.

After I posted, I started thinking - I have a sporty bike, and while I really like it, I just got a "cruiser" type just because I want to enjoy the ride, not to race anyone (let alone a 9-year old ;)). We just like to ride around and explore. So comfort takes priority over speed. With that being said, the cruiser bike does not have a straight bar in it's frame like my sporty bike (this is the bike I got: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Huffy-Cranbrook-26-Ladies-Cruiser-Bike/17012389). I wonder - how will that hold up on the carrier, with the curved frame?

I also looked at this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned) but will need to research if a youth-sized bike would be ok for this carrier.

Thank you for your advice!

Last edited:
Well I carry my wife's bike on mine and it has no upper bar. You can rotate the mounting points on the carrier arms so that they catch appropriate points on a frame like yours. My guess is you could make it work. Only reservation I would have is that the handlebars on your bike might interfere with positioning it next to your daughter's bike. But that's a long shot.

Thanks paris1. I started reading the reviews for the rack I was considering (the SportRack) and they are not that great, lots of issues, terrible customer service... so now I'm looking at the one you recommended. Thanks again!

Allen bike carrier I bought on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned) for $69.

We picked up that exact carrier a few dollars less used on Craigslist. It's built like a tank, but heavy for the wife to use when loaded.

Mated with the easily installed Curt hitch, it's a great (inexpensive) setup for the CX-5.

attachment.php

Back