Trade In 2020 Signature?

Pitter

Pitter
Contributor
:
2020 CX-5 Signature Azul Metalico
I'm getting email offers from local Mazda dealers sugestiong I trade in my 2020 Signature for new. I understand their sales effort but number 1 my car is in perfect condition (well apart from three repairs to the body for damage by moto drivers). And number 2 the only significant upgrade I'm seeing on the 2022 model is an "off road" switch to make the car go in situations where the 2020 version wouldn't. I've seen the YouTube videos but I'm very sceptical about the usefulness of that function. While the car's computer may play tricks with braking this wheel or that I doubt there's any comparison with the "locking rear end" offered on vehicles intended to travel off road. That being the case (despite the fact that genuinely improved off road traction could be a benefit in my case) I'm not seeing any incentive to trade in at this time. Should a horsepower upgrade be offered I may be knocking at their door but so far I haven't seen anything along those lines in the works.

It's like Vegas. The house always wins.
You take the big depreciation hit, the dealer gets the car for cheap trade in value, sells you new one for profit, you pay taxes and tags all over again. Not to mention the top end bank interest you paid the first two years. Unless they give you top dollar for your trade, don't do it.

You raise good points and that's good advise. I pay in cash so bank interest isn't an issue. Only motive for trade in would be if new model offers significant advantages...and it doesn't appear so.

Why would you even want to? Could turn out to be very expensive for marginal gains. I mean, how much better would the new one drive or be more comfortable or be more reliable. I see the question really being as do you really WANT to trade it in (or even been thinking about it) or did a high trade in value or even the suggestion of it just capture your interest.

I'm in agreement with the above posters Pitter. There were so many upgrades from our 2020 GT to the 22 Signature that I'm completely satisfied moving from a 2020 to a 2022, but for you there doesn't seem to be enough of a difference between the two to make it a worthwhile trade. If you have some free time to take your dealer up on his offer it would be interesting to hear your impressions of a back-to-back comparison test drive. Since my dealer had zero 2022 Signatures in stock my comparison drive was with a 2021 model, and now that I have a '22 I couldn't really tell much difference between the two, on surface roads and highway driving anyway.

I'm getting email offers from local Mazda dealers sugestiong I trade in my 2020 Signature for new. I understand their sales effort but number 1 my car is in perfect condition (well apart from three repairs to the body for damage by moto drivers). And number 2 the only significant upgrade I'm seeing on the 2022 model is an "off road" switch to make the car go in situations where the 2020 version wouldn't. I've seen the YouTube videos but I'm very sceptical about the usefulness of that function. While the car's computer may play tricks with braking this wheel or that I doubt there's any comparison with the "locking rear end" offered on vehicles intended to travel off road. That being the case (despite the fact that genuinely improved off road traction could be a benefit in my case) I'm not seeing any incentive to trade in at this time. Should a horsepower upgrade be offered I may be knocking at their door but so far I haven't seen anything along those lines in the works.
It depends. You're in South America, right? Is it Colombia? What's the used car market like? How much are they demanding for new vehicles?

If the market is anything like the US, where the spread between the MSRP on a new one and the trade value on a 2 or 3 year old with relatively low mileage has narrowed substantially, the spread could pay for itself. If you're in the habit of trading every 3, 4, 5 years anyway the trade could pay for itself in the longer run when you trade that new one with 2 or 3 fewer years and fewer miles on it. When you get to 8 vs. 10 years the difference drops pretty sharply.

I doubt more horsepower is the answer to getting stuck in your rutty, twisty climb to 10,000 ft., if memory serves. The answer to that would be a 4x4. That's if you can stand loss of sportiness, worse gas mileage, and maybe a higher price point with a pickup or, say, a 4Runner. I would observe that if you watch programs featuring desert terrorists or archeologists, more often than not you'll see them in Toyota pickups and 4Runners and I don't think they are being sponsored. ;) That's probably because however capable some Jeeps and Land Rovers might be, reliability in the middle of the desert is paramount. The sheiks with Land Rovers probably have a 4Runner trailing the pack just in case. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
It depends. You're in South America, right? Is it Colombia? What's the used car market like? How much are they demanding for new vehicles?

If the market is anything like the US, where the spread between the MSRP on a new one and the trade value on a 2 or 3 year old with relatively low mileage has narrowed substantially, the spread could pay for itself. If you're in the habit of trading every 3, 4, 5 years anyway the trade could pay for itself in the longer run when you trade that new one with 2 or 3 fewer years and fewer miles on it. When you get to 8 vs. 10 years the difference drops pretty sharply.

I doubt more horsepower is the answer to getting stuck in your rutty, twisty climb to 10,000 ft., if memory serves. The answer to that would be a 4x4. That's if you can stand loss of sportiness, worse gas mileage, and maybe a higher price point with a pickup or, say, a 4Runner. I would observe that if you watch programs featuring desert terrorists or archeologists, more often than not you'll see them in Toyota pickups and 4Runners and I don't think they are being sponsored. ;) That's probably because however capable some Jeeps and Land Rovers might be, reliability in the middle of the desert is paramount. The sheiks with Land Rovers probably have a 4Runner trailing the pack just in case. :rolleyes:
Thats a tough one. Jeep rock climbing ability versus Toyota reliability. Hard choice. Either would be better than the Mazda if that's what his terrain is.

I'm getting email offers from local Mazda dealers suggesting I trade in my 2020 Signature for new.
You didn't mention how many miles you currently have on the 2020. That may be a deciding factor.
If the mileage is high, I suspect that you would be out of warranty by now. This might be a good time to trade, before the value drops and before you start having problems.
If the mileage is low, then I'd probably keep it.
I get the same notices periodically from my dealer that says they have a customer that wants my 2017 6. Ya right.
I have very low mileage (30,000 kms = 18,00 miles), so it's still like new. I'm keeping it for a while.

I appreciate the very helpful responses to to my post. I should clarify things so as not to misrepresent my driving situation. Yes I am in Colombia but like most North Americans the vast majority of my driving is on paved roads. I do have a one and a half kilometer stretch of rather rough unpaved road before getting to my house. It doesn't normaly require 4wd but has you jouncing around uncomfortably a lot. There was an exception a few years ago when I still had my Renault Duster with lockable 4wd. I had arrived late at night to Colombia from a trip to the US and when I got to the unpaved section something was amiss. The road was really, really muddy and I had to shift into 4wd to keep going. I'm not sure how the CX-5 would have done. It turned out it was election time and a local politician decided he was going to "fix" the road to get votes. A road grader had come through and churned up the road prior to a roller coming through to flatten it out but in the mean time it rained...The night I came home it was impassable for 2wd vehicles. I don't think he got the votes he'd hoped for. But no I haven't encountered situations since owning my CX-5 where locked 4wd was required. Another time still with the Duster a friend and I went to visit a guy with a country place in the mountains. There was a hundred meter or so "driveway" down to his place that was so steep I didn't think my Duster could pull it even with it's "granny" first gear so parked at the top and walked down. The usual visitors to the guys place were fifties era Willys Jeeps with very low low range. To this day I wonder if my CX-5 Turbo with all it's torque and power could have pulled it. Of course if not it would be a long wait for a Willys to come along to tow me up.

Anyway you're all quite right. No point whatsoever in trading in at this point. I only have 38,000 kilometers on the car.

The 22 has new front and rear facias and full LED headlights/tail lights, and a new grill. They removed the fog lights on all models. Sig models have body colored plastic trim along the bottom edges and wheel wells of the car now. Supposedly increased to 256hp from 250hp on premium (same 227hp on regular). Transmission is supposedly improved. Seats are said to be more comfortable. As you said new drive modes as well. I would say keep yours but if they have a 22 in stock, why not try it out and see what they offer?

the price they ask for a 2022 Signature vs what 2022 offers (not much real difference to 2020 except the new infotainment and screen) its not worth it to me. the rest is external looks mainly and some good marketing :)
lower non-turbo trims ...may be there is some logic there but again doubtful if we compare to 2020. If we compare 2022 to 2018 models and older there it is a huge upgrade there.

Last edited:
Back