Towing Experiences

wtpanther

Hi, Im thinking about replacing my 06 f150 for a new cx5 to split my fuel costs in half. Only concern I have is its towing ability. It claims to have a tow rating of 2000lbs but Id like to hear from members' towing experiences and how the cx5 handles the load. I have a smaller 16ft fiberglass speed boat i need to haul (about 1650lbs give or take) but I dont want to be having serious transmission issues down the road.

So, do any of you tow anything similar in weight? and if so how is your cx5 handling it?

Oh and i should add that I am not towing more than a 30 mile round trip, and probably not more than 10 times a year

Last edited:
Have a look through this thread, it should provide some insight. I think we'll see more input on this topic as time goes by and more people give the towing capability a test, though I recall now reading some reports on Edmunds and possibly here (might have been the same gent, was traveling between MN and TX), and the results were favorable I want to say. That's one reason I bought the car, I want to tow a small trailer and go camping.

WT,

On 12-28-2012 my wife and I drove to Steven's Point Wisc. to pick up our new teardrop camper it weighs about 1,000#. We started back with it Saturday morning on snowy roads. The roads were hilly, at 60 mph we averaged about 22 mpg. I slowed down to 55 mph and the milage climbed to 27 mpg. The distance home was about 400 miles. Until this trip our average since buying the CX-5 was 33.9 mph (automatic trans). We now have 15,000 miles on the CX-5. I known this is not comparable to plans, but it is what i personnally can pass on. All in all, I'm pleased.

BobH.

Thanks for the info guys.. I THINK i may wait a little longer to make the move. Nothing wrong with waiting, but we will see. Im dying to get into something that doesnt cost a fortune to drive everyday. Im curious to test drive the diesel model when they come out. LandB, how often do you tow your camper?

Thanks for the info guys.. I THINK i may wait a little longer to make the move. Nothing wrong with waiting, but we will see. Im dying to get into something that doesnt cost a fortune to drive everyday. Im curious to test drive the diesel model when they come out. LandB, how often do you tow your camper?

WT,
The plan is to tow it to our son's home twice a year (1200 miles one way) and use it about every 6 weeks locally. We haven't camped in years, I'm really looking forward to it. We purchased an extended warrenty on the CX-5, hope we never need it.

LandB

Thanks for the info guys.. I THINK i may wait a little longer to make the move. Nothing wrong with waiting, but we will see. Im dying to get into something that doesnt cost a fortune to drive everyday. Im curious to test drive the diesel model when they come out.

Diesels may be awhile but the 2.5L Gas is expected out later this month. The extra HP & Torque should benefit any towing.

Back