touring steering wheel on sport?

So i've been itching to get a mazda2 touring in white manual, unfortunately i cant have all of them, its either they have have it on white manual sport or touring in grey. I really want the touring model cause of the cruise control. but no one in my area has a white touring. so now the plan is get me a white sport and ask my brother in japan to look for a demio steering wheel with cruise control. any takes on this?

Last edited:
The main problem I see with the steering swap is that the steering wheel MIGHT be dash cluster dependent. I know that the LCD display on the bottom right of the dash cluster on the touring is bigger than the sport and displays a lot more information. I'm not sure if you'd be able to simply install the steering wheel and sacrifice some of the functionality of the controls, or if you'd have to change the cluster to match.

There are companies that make aftermarket cruise control though.

Well I found a Touring Wheel at a junk yard online and will get it this week. I will try it out and report back...

We have 0 Mazda 2's on our lot right now, so I can't confirm :( Pictures and manuals can only go so far...

After scouring the parts list (can't get my hands on an owners manual yet) I think the steering wheel and airbag swap should work also. The only part number differences I saw were for the steering wheel, airbag unit, and gauge cluster.

The multifunction display certainly ties in, but I think it will only affect the menu buttons. Cruise control (maybe stereo too?) should just be a matter of plugging it in.

Of course, I've been wrong before.

After scouring the parts list (can't get my hands on an owners manual yet) I think the steering wheel and airbag swap should work also. The only part number differences I saw were for the steering wheel, airbag unit, and gauge cluster.

The multifunction display certainly ties in, but I think it will only affect the menu buttons. Cruise control (maybe stereo too?) should just be a matter of plugging it in.

Of course, I've been wrong before.

I installed cruise control on my non cruise control 2008 mazda 3, and it was a matter of the steering wheels controls (just popped out) and some sort of switch under the dash. It was super simple. If we get a couple of 2's on the lot, I'll chime in. Unless you work at Mazda, or have some deep connections, good luck on getting any sort of manual...

I'm going to talk to my parts guy tomorrow and see what we can figure out. So far, it's not looking good. There are a lot of components in the cruise control system, but it doesn't say if they are already there or not on a base model, stay tuned!

Cool! I should get the steering Wheel tomorrow, it would be good to know if I need more parts. All I really care about working is the cc and stereo controls, not worried about the menu stuff...

Well I got the touring steering wheel today. Observations:

1.) It must take more then just the wheel for the cruise to work because it doesn't work with just the wheel.
2.) The airbags are different between the sport and the touring, so if you try the swap get both the steering wheel and air bag.
3.) I tried to trim the steering wheel to make the airbag work, I wasn't successful.... I chose to try the wheel b/c I don't know what air bags cost and didn't want to f up my stock one...

Bummed.

wow that sucks i really thought it would be a simple swap of wheel. im just curios did u order a jdm steering wheel or usdm?

wow that sucks i really thought it would be a simple swap of wheel. im just curios did u order a jdm steering wheel or usdm?

Tell me about it. It was from a US junk yard so usdm I would assume. I was really bummed that the air bag was different as I would have kept the leather wheel on even with dead controls as its just a nicer wheel....

No, I thought about it but could find my camera and just wanted to get it done... sorry. I wish we had access to a catalog or manual for this thing...

I've attached the entirety of what mazda motorsports lists as available for the steering wheel components of the the 2. I assume STG.SWITCH is cruise control / audio, but I'm not sure either way.

Obviously, they may not have every part available through here, so this isn't any sort of answer, but it is a crapload of part numbers that we can start talking to dealers about making work.

Also, looking at airbags, they only list one airbag module available (Part # DR61-57-K30A). Again, they may not have all parts available, but usually if there are 2 different air bags, they'd mention in the notes that it only works for one trim.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-09-07 at 4.30.33 PM.png
    Screen shot 2011-09-07 at 4.30.33 PM.png
    74.5 KB · Views: 291
I hate to resurrect this thread, but has anyone ever figured this out? I would really like to have stereo controls on my sport model. I don't care so much about the cruise control.

I hate to resurrect this thread, but has anyone ever figured this out? I would really like to have stereo controls on my sport model. I don't care so much about the cruise control.

Jwurm - I've actually gotten a Touring wheel for my Sport. The steering wheel controls work fine, since the Sport has the exact same wiring harness. There are two problems with just getting the touring wheel, however: 1) You have to get the touring airbag with it, because the shroud covering the Sport airbag module is cut differently (so the Sport one won't fit properly. You can bolt it on in a pinch, but you'll have no horn) and 2) The horn for the Touring wheel actually has a separate wiring harness, as opposed to the Sport wheel that is just wired and grounded into the horn button behind the airbag module.

Another big problem is that the cruise control buttons won't work out of the box. They connect into the stock wiring harness just fine, but the ECU/PCM for the Sport comes from the factory with cruise control disabled, so far as I can tell. It should (hopefully) just be a matter of having your ECU reflashed. I haven't checked with my dealership yet to see if they actually will do it, but since the cruise control is electronic and the car has a fly-by-wire throttle (as opposed to a vacuum system for the cruise control), it should work once the ECU knows the buttons are there. The Sport model DOES have a cruise light in the instrument cluster...I'd like to think if this was impossible it would have just been blacked out, much the same as the fact that we don't get the trip computer on the Sport.

Edit: Bolded the part you really wanted to know :)

Awesome, all I care about is the stereo controls.

So I need:
Steering wheel with airbag and I'm good.

Does the sport model already have the connection for the touring horn and it's just not being used? Or will I have to modify something?

Back