Torn Front Motor Mount = Big Exhaust Leak???

Keno1542

Yellow Jacket
:
Mazda MP3
I just noticed my front motor mount is torn and today I got huge Exhaust leak. I cant figure out where it is coming from, but it seems like somewhere around the header.

Anyone got any ideas? Already got a mount on order, btw.

um.. no but check your exhuast bolts and make sure that they are tight.

well, i havent really been able to try anything because i am at school and my dad is driving the car back at home. I am going home this weekend, so i am just trying to get some ideas to try out this weekend.

it's possible to tear the exhaust apart because of excessive movement, especially with aftermarket parts that forgo certain OEM mounting brackets and stuff.... happened to my corolla beater... some dumbass that worked on it before was lazy and didn't bolt the stock exhaust manifold back onto a bracket that secured/stabilized/reinforced it so with the blown motor mounts on that car (I'm not spending the money to replace it... it's a beater!) it cracked the manifold in half! I got it replaced with a $20 junk yard one and the bracket is now on too.... so far so good

would there be any way to pinpoint where the exhaust is leaking from? like throw something into the gas or something?

i was thinking that, but i just did the seafoam treatment like 2 months ago, so i dont know how much smoke i would get.

anything else?

eh its 8 bucks and I'll asure you wil get another smoke show. I've done two treatments back to back and still got a good smoke show.

Torn mounts will definitely lead to some sort of exhaust failure due to the extra vibration. Hell, my solid mounts caused me no end of grief until I installed a flex-pipe to take the strain off of the exhaust. Quieted the car down, too.

i guess ill try the seafoam again, and i am just going to have to try to find the leak and i will go from there.

Have a buddy cover the exhaust for short periods of time and put your hand by the pipe connections. The back pressure will cause the exhaust to leak out of any existing leaks and you'll be able to feel the exhaust on your hand. Just do it when the car is cold so neither of you burn yourselves (your friend should wear gloves to be safe..)

ya, so this was no exhaust leak...my spark plug had completely come out of the hole(guess i did not tighten them down enough when i changed them). Luckily no damage to the motor, even though my dad drove back home with the car like this(like 5 mins).

Back