Top Speed?

Pitter

Pitter
Contributor
:
2020 CX-5 Signature Azul Metalico
What is the top speed of the CX-5 with turbo and has it been tested by any car magazines like Road & Track?

How did I confirm 130MPH top speed? How so did it take a long time to get there?

Flat road; no traffic due to travel restrictions; accelerator pedal pressed to floor; drive straight.. wait for the vehicle to reach max speed . At about 110 MPH the vehicle really starts to fade in acceleration.. 120 MPH and the vehicle simply feels like power is all but maxed.. another 5 minutes later 130MPH is reached.. and the vehicle is not happy to deliver the speed..

Yes I meant the latter. Thanks for your account of the test.

220 km/h or 137.5 mph. the car is not turbo, it is still 2.5 NA with reflash ecu, remove top speed limiter, some aftermarket exhaust set up. with speeds above 200, the car feels like it's out of breath

is it something wrong that I cant get speed pass 121mph on 2021 Signature? I do have the SRI from cork sport with heatshield install and 19x8.5" rim with 245/50/19 on them. I found that the sport mode actually makes the car slower. After 110 its a hell of an experience to get more speed with this car?

is it something wrong that I cant get speed pass 121mph on 2021 Signature? I do have the SRI from cork sport with heatshield install and 19x8.5" rim with 245/50/19 on them. I found that the sport mode actually makes the car slower. After 110 its a hell of an experience to get more speed with this car?
Where are you driving 120 MPH in an SUV?

Does the fact it is a SUV (or CUV) really matter?

I could cite several examples from my younger reckless days but really any road that is smooth, flat, straight, lightly traveled and with good visibility for cops and people entering the roadway can work. The biggest risk is a deer or other animal crossing the road or hitting a pothole. Well paved expressways with controlled access that are fenced and where you can straddle the center line or take a middle lane on a 3-laner would be the obvious choice.

For Canadians, the 402 going west out of London to the Michigan border has some good stretches depending on the day of the week and time of the day. But really there are many remote stretches of expressway across the US and Canada that fit the bill.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe accross desert sands in Saudi Arabia:LOL:
No deer in the Saudi Desert. Are there feral camels?

Then there are the sands of Nevada depending on where and when. Or when I was a kid you could drive right off a Utah two-laner onto the salt flats. Donno if that's still doable. The old man let me take the Olds 88 out for some donuts. You could run to the horizon if you wanted to.

The best place I ever encountered was the autostrada causeway going into Venice many years ago. The speed limit was not enforced on the autostrada in those days; I don't know if that has changed.
Flat as a pancake, water on both sides so no risk of animals and no entrances or exits, 3 or 4 lanes across, I can't recall exactly. I got a rented 4 cylinder Lancia (that had a manual choke by the way, lol) up to 110 mph and the Mercedes and Alfas were blowing by me like I was standing still.

Pardon the trip down memory lane.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is not that I race or driving recklessly. I just wanted to see whats the max speed it can output. And Texas there are a lot of good toll roads that are very nice to drive at a higher speed I haven't seen cops on that toll road yet. And it's good to know the max speed this car can output just in case had to pass someone using oncoming traffic roads on country roads.

The fastest I've ever gone in a car is about 180Km/hr, or about 110mph. I wanted to see what the car could do. It was a 2003 Nissan Sentra Se-R with the bigger engine.
I didn't have the nerve to push it higher, even though it was not topped out.
Maybe it was the car, but I was scared of losing control at that speed, or maybe blowing a tire.
I can't imagine going 130mph, or beyond. Not for me.
(I was on a straight stretch of the 401 (Ontario Canada) at about 2 in the morning with no traffic.)

The fastest I've ever gone in a car is about 180Km/hr, or about 110mph. I wanted to see what the car could do. It was a 2003 Nissan Sentra Se-R with the bigger engine.
I didn't have the nerve to push it higher, even though it was not topped out.
Maybe it was the car, but I was scared of losing control at that speed, or maybe blowing a tire.
I can't imagine going 130mph, or beyond. Not for me.
(I was on a straight stretch of the 401 (Ontario Canada) at about 2 in the morning with no traffic.)
Ditto on the nerves in my fastest run, 120 mph in an Accord V6 The pedal was not all the way to the floor, the vehicle's top speed was rated around 140 mph, then the thought of a pothole, a blown tire or a deer crept in. That'll give you a shiver. That was in broad daylight. NIght? You could outrun the headlights.

One time on a fenced interstate, I saw a buck jump the fence and run smack into the side of a car about 1,000 feet in front of me. That deer hit flat out on the pavement, spun like a pinwheel, got up, and ran back to the fence and jumped it. Beware the deer.

Back