Tooth Pic Motors?

M0DERATOR

:
crappy VW
So I've oogled a MS Protege for a while now and as an alternate daily to my built 50mpg VW TDI, I think it would be a fun car. But I've read that as soon as you turn the boost and fueling up, these motors will blow higher than David Hasseloff eating a cheeseburger, is that true?

As with just about any motor out there; if you dramatically increase the air and fuel without upgrading to forged internals, you take the chance of the rods and/or pistons falling short of holding up under the increased load. You can safely up the boost to 9psi (or controversially; 10psi), and with a few other upgrades i.e. intake, charge piping, etc, you can easily get the car running safely at 200hp give or take. Anything more than that and you need to start thinking about pistons and rods, fuel injectors and delivery, exhaust, list goes on and on.

Another thing to keep in mind is that they only made 4500 of these released in the US (250 in Canada). Theres a lot of parts that are specific the the speeds, and some are not easy to find and/or afford. If you want parts for these cars, oem or otherwise, you,re going to pay for them one way or the other. That being said, to some like myself and most of the other people in the MSP subforum, these cars (when operating nominally) are ******* badass and worth every amount of effort and money necessary to own/maintain one. But if you're afraid of commitment, you'd be better off with the cheeseburger.

Last edited:
200hp in a 2800lb car is more fun than you would expect. They are a lot lighter than VWs

14lbs of boost 12 years since new. 260+whp it's in the tune that was on stock turbo and block and internals.

It is correct that that aftermarket ir even stock replacement parts are expensive and few nd far between, but 99% of the msp can be fished any of the million billion protege es, lx2.0 or protege 5. Or 626,mx6 from similar vintage.
This makes motors and chassis parts cheap and easy to come by. Particularly non lsd transmissions ect.

The car has its issues but super easy to work on and if your not dumping the clutch at redline like an idiot, quite reliable.

The car has its issues but super easy to work on and if your not dumping the clutch at redline like an idiot, quite reliable.
I take offense to that! I've never dumped the clutch! And I'm on engine 7 and transmission 8! LAWLZ.

Back