Tire size question.

abovie3

Ok so i recently bought a set of wheels. Size is 18x7.5 with a 42 offset. Ive decided on the Yokohama S drive for tires. I need help trying to decide what size tire to pick. any help is appreciated.

still little bit indecisive about the tires. im looking for a summer tire with great grip in dry and wet conditions, and that will last me.

225/45 or 235/40 should fit nicely. I don't remember if the s drive's are available in both sizes, though. For what it's worth, I put 225/45s on RX-8 wheels. They touch the rear fenders every now and then, usually when both rear wheels drop at the same time (driveway transitions).

How much are you looking to spend on the tires? I would go with 225/40 R18 for size.

In terms of models, I would say look at three: the Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec, Bridgestone Potenza RE-01R, and the Falken Azenis RT-615.

It all depends on what you are looking to spend. If you're willing to spend about $170+ per tire, look at the Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec and the Bridgestone Potenza RE-01R. Those are both GREAT tires for dry/wet conditions.

If you're looking for something less expensive, look at the Falken Azenis RT-615. It is about $140 per tire, and will get you great traction in the dry and wet. However, it may not last you as long as the pricier options.

my only concern with the azenis is how poor they react to heat cycling (see this post: http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123728920 ) Here in NJ temperatures can swing pretty crazily, and I want to get the most out of these tires. Theyll be for dd, and need to perform well autox and occasional drag strip. there pretty much the same price as the s.drives, and ive seen only great reviews on the s. drives.

yeah, I can understand your concern for sure. I hadn't heard of that happening with the Azenis....although I HAD heard that their tread-life was pretty short.

Honestly, I would go with the Dunlops (Star Specs) if you're looking for the best overall tire. For $170, I don't think you can find a much better tire out there in terms of street performance. Once my stock tires wear down, those are probably what I will get.

Anyway, you sound like you have a good idea of what you want :) Let us know what you end up deciding.

Don't forget the Kumho XS:

100_0941.jpg

100_0967.jpg

They just hit the market this past fall. Kumho supposedly used the Bridgestone RE01R and Dunlop Z1 Star Specs as two of their design benchmarks, yet they're priced slightly lower than the Dunlops.

I'm really like mine so far.

Last edited:
the XS looks like a good tire, good price too. My only concern with the XS or Star Spec is how many miles I can get out of them. They both have a pretty low treadwear and the starspecs are at the top of my price range. I dont expect to get 60k out of a tire that will be driven on aggressively, but would like to get at least 20k out of them before becoming slicks.

Don't forget the Kumho XS:

They just hit the market this past fall. Kumho supposedly used the Bridgestone RE01R and Dunlop Z1 Star Specs as two of their design benchmarks, yet they're priced slightly lower than the Dunlops.

I'm really like mine so far.

How grippy are the Kumho XS...looking at a set for my AutoX miata. Are they grippier than the Falken Azenis RT-615's?

How about the bf goodrich kdw2?

The RE01-R are good tires, but treadlife won't last long though as they are soft compound performance tires. They'd grip like hell though and I've heard very good wet performance as well.

I'm running Parada Spec2 right now but gonna retire them soon for either the RE070 or the RE01-R's

the XS looks like a good tire, good price too. My only concern with the XS or Star Spec is how many miles I can get out of them. They both have a pretty low treadwear and the starspecs are at the top of my price range. I dont expect to get 60k out of a tire that will be driven on aggressively, but would like to get at least 20k out of them before becoming slicks.

I expect to get at least as many miles out of these XSs as I did out of the stock Potenza RE050As (I know that you can't reliably compare UTQG ratings across different tire manufacturers, but the OEM tires carried a 140 rating whereas the XS and Star Specs carry 180 and 200 ratings, respectively).

I put about 10K miles on the RE050As (about ~200 of which were VERY hard track miles) before taking them off with about 1-2/32" of useable tread left (before reaching the wear bars).

mr_mazda329 said:
How grippy are the Kumho XS...looking at a set for my AutoX miata. Are they grippier than the Falken Azenis RT-615's?

It's hard for me to say definitively since I've only had them on for about 1200 miles and I put them on in December (where the temps range from high 30s at night at the very coldest to high 70s during the day) and haven't been driving in completely optimal conditions for the tires. Also, I never had the RT-615s on my MS3, and only experienced them on my considerably less powerful (though considerably more set-up suspension-wise) Ford Focus.

That being said, I think they are at least as grippy if not grippier than the RT-615s if I had to give my assessment. I'm anxious to begin the new autocross season soon and also hope to be able to squeeze in a few track days this year with them as well. I'll be sure to post up impressions as I go with them. :)

I only have 5.5k miles on my MS3, so I am nowhere near ready for new tires yet. But my last 2 sets of tires on my MINI Cooper S were Yokohama S Drives. I had previously used Falken Azeni, Yokohama Parada Spec II, and Kumho Ecsta MX, all with good performance results. Problem was, I didn't get 20k miles out of ANY of them. The S-Drives cost maybe $5-10 per tire more than the others, but performed well in daily semi-aggressive driving, and got me 25k+ miles. Plus, they were far quieter on the highway than the others.

You can get stickier tires, you can get cheaper tires, and to each his own. But I found the S Drives to be a very good balance of price, performance, & wear without sacrificing in any one category.

well i pulled the trigger last night and got a set of s. drives, cant wait to wrap them on the new wheels and test them out, although the cold weather in jersey is preventing that. cant wait for spring so i can stop starring at them and put em on the car!

Ok so i recently bought a set of wheels. Size is 18x7.5 with a 42 offset. Ive decided on the Yokohama S drive for tires. I need help trying to decide what size tire to pick. any help is appreciated.

Go with 225/40/18
Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec.
There is no better tire on Extreme Summer category, not even the Potenzas RE01R

Go with 225/40/18
Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec.
There is no better tire on Extreme Summer category, not even the Potenzas RE01R

Actually, I'm pretty sure the jury's still out on that one.

Take a look at this year's SCCA Solo 2 Street Tire class results:

http://cms.scca.com/documents/solo_results/final results for book.pdf

Also, the Kumho XS has yet to be tested against either of those in SCCA competition, so it'll be interesting to see how they do as well...

As far as bang for the buck goes, the Dunlops might still be king, but seeing as how the Kumhos are generally cheaper they could be in for a de-throning come next season. Only time will tell.

Last edited:
I have been looking at all the options in the catagory as well. One thing I noticed is that some are good for autox but for a DD with a load the rating on many of the tires are less than stock. The stock is an extra load variant.
A few of the Extreme performance tires in 225/40/18 are ok however.

The 235/40R18 Kumho XS has a load rating of 1521 lbs (95W XL), which bests the stock tires' rating considerably (93Y XL 1433 lbs).

Back