Tire recommendation

I know this was a while back, but now I'm further into the actual step of buying new tires.

I'm between the generalist altimax rt43 or the bf goodrich advantage t/a LT sport

both have good ratings on tirerack. NJ driving (winters, some highway, mostly town)

I was between the 2 but going with the Generals. Having them installed tomorrow (225/55R19)

I almost locked to Pirelli P7 but it was only H rated, so now back to a choice between Yoko GTX, Michelin LTX, and Continetal CrossContact.

I almost locked to Pirelli P7 but it was only H rated, so now back to a choice between Yoko GTX, Michelin LTX, and Continetal CrossContact.
I can never understand why some CX-5 owners insisting V-rated tires. Based on specification from Mazda, the governor limited top speed is 120 mph. H-rated tires are safe to run up to 130 mph. Even Mazda itself uses H-rated tires on CX-5 Sport and Touring trims!

I understand that and thought the same but read a couple of articles to keep OEM speed rating tires. I doubt there is some special in GT model but just wanted to stick with that.

I was between the 2 but going with the Generals. Having them installed tomorrow (225/55R19)

First impressions: Happy with my decision to go with the General AltiMax RT43 225/55R19 99H. Inflated to 38 PSI (+2 over Mazda recommended). Really like the tread design, they are quiet, perform admirably in the rain and dry. Definitely a good value. Not looking forward to snow yet but confident they will do well based on previous reviews.

I can never understand why some CX-5 owners insisting V-rated tires. Based on specification from Mazda, the governor limited top speed is 120 mph. H-rated tires are safe to run up to 130 mph. Even Mazda itself uses H-rated tires on CX-5 Sport and Touring trims!

Because it is not just about top speed.
A V-rated tire will have better performance characteristics than an H-rated tire at lower speeds.

Article by Tire Rack...
Technically, speed rating is only a measure of the tire's top speed capability. However, there is almost always a correlation between handling and speed rating since higher performance tires tend to be capable of maintaining higher top speeds for a longer period of time. While this is not always true, in the majority of cases lower speed rated tires tend to have slower steering responses and reduced dry grip.

Because it is not just about top speed.
A V-rated tire will have better performance characteristics than an H-rated tire at lower speeds.

Article by Tire Rack...
Technically, speed rating is only a measure of the tire's top speed capability. However, there is almost always a correlation between handling and speed rating since higher performance tires tend to be capable of maintaining higher top speeds for a longer period of time. While this is not always true, in the majority of cases lower speed rated tires tend to have slower steering responses and reduced dry grip.

Point taken but it's like putting dancing shoes on someone with 2 left feet. Although the equipment can perform better, if you're running with stock suspension components, I would think the effects of the V rated tires would be negligible to the common driver who usually doesn't push their CX-5 anywhere close to it's limits.

Point taken but it's like putting dancing shoes on someone with 2 left feet. Although the equipment can perform better, if you're running with stock suspension components, I would think the effects of the V rated tires would be negligible to the common driver who usually doesn't push their CX-5 anywhere close to it's limits.
Well said. For most car owners the performance advantage on V-rated tires is negligible especially on a CUV like CX-5. Besides, some H-rated tires can definitely perform better than V-rated tires with different brand or model. In other words, we can only compare the performance difference on same model between H-rated and V-rated tires, otherwise its meaningless.

Glad you like your new General AltiMAX RT43!

Your theory is not supported by the facts.
Tires are the only connection your vehicle has to the road.
Tire selection has a major impact on performance, regardless of whether or not you are "running with stock suspension components."

You are correct in one regard...
If you always putter around in your CX-5 like a grandma driving to church, you will notice little/no difference in performance.
You could have the cheapest T (or lower) rated tires ever made and you wouldn't be able to tell a difference.
In fact, you could drive around on 4 temporary spares and not notice a difference.

However, if you enjoy spirited driving on occasion and are an attentive driver, you will notice a difference.

Your theory is not supported by the facts.

I beg to differ since my theory was "if you're running with stock suspension components, I would think the effects of the V rated tires would be negligible to the common driver who usually doesn't push their CX-5 anywhere close to it's limits" .

You chose to dissect it and break it up into 2 arguments.

OTOH, run with whatever makes you happy. If you think you're going to get a better driving experience with V rated tires, go for it!

I might have considered moving down to H rated all seasons in the past but since Mazda recommends V rated for my GT I opted to stick with that speed rating. In particular I had considered the Pirelli P7 which rates quite highly, BUT, the sticker on the Pirelli's clearly states that you must not use their tire if it has a speed rating lower than that recommended by the vehicle manufacturer. So if you buy an H rated Pirelli for a GS or GT make sure your dealer is prepared to cover you for any warranty issues with your tire(s) as Pirelli may not!!

Last edited:
I might have considered moving down to H rated all seasons in the past but since Mazda recommends V rated for my GT I opted to stick with that speed rating. In particular I had considered the Pirelli P7 which rates quite highly, BUT, the sticker on the Pirelli's clearly states that you must not use their tire if it has a speed rating lower than that recommended by the vehicle manufacturer. So if you buy an H rated Pirelli for a GS or GT make sure your dealer is prepared to cover you for any warranty issues with your tire(s) as Pirelli may not!!

Was just considering these, too, because Tire Rack is blowing them out at a pretty crazy price, but I’m not sure I want to drop down to H rating. I know they’d be better than the stock tires I have on there now, though.

Was just considering these, too, because Tire Rack is blowing them out at a pretty crazy price, but I’m not sure I want to drop down to H rating. I know they’d be better than the stock tires I have on there now, though.
They also do notably poorly in wet braking which makes them a non-starter here. Otherwise I was considering buying some to just hold onto until I need replacements. The price is insane.

They also do notably poorly in wet braking which makes them a non-starter here. Otherwise I was considering buying some to just hold onto until I need replacements. The price is insane.

Yep seeing the ratings they are pretty abysmal in wet and light snow.

When the oem Toyo's on my previous CX-5 wore out I went to the Michelin Premier LTX which I absolutely loved, so they will be on my shortlist once again when my current Toyo's wear out.

Back