Tire Pressure for different wheel size

:
Canada
:
2020 CX-5 GT
Hi,

I changed my stock Toyo 225/55/19 with winter Michelin X-Snow 225/65/17.

Should the tire pressure be the same 35PSI even on different wheel?

I read some thread about tire pressure but didn't find exact answer to my question.

Thanks!

It could if the new tire is XL or L rated. Then the psi corresponds to the weight of the vehicle so if you use the P rated psi on the door jam it will be way to low.
In my case my XL rated all weather tires use 42 psi each.

For P225/65R17 100H tires (they come on the Sport/Touring), the manual says 34psi. The X-Snows have a lower speed rating though (106T), so I'm not sure how/if that plays in

If you did not change tire width and diameter, the contact patch remains the same size.
In this case, I think you can keep the same PSI.
If you go wider tires, you can go lower in PSI.

contactPatchInInchesSq * tirePSI * 4 = supporting weight (lbs) of vehicle.
In general, that is.
Assume contact patch is 25 inch^2..
25 * 35 * 4 = 3500 lbs.

@johnrm Thanks! The Michelin winter tires shows Extra Load printed on the tire.

@dunhillmc Yeah, the x-snows has slower speed rating. I don't drive more than 125km/h. I will have to read more about speed ratings. Thanks!

@ceric As far as I know the winter tires sill have the same width and diameter. I bought it from Mazda dealership last year and they installed it, that is why I don't know about tires. But this winter I decided to learn more about my car and save money switching tires during summer and winter. Thanks!

@FerrariF1 Thank you for the link, very helpful. If I entered the correct info, it shows 32psi.

Tire Pressure.jpg

Setting 35psi for winter tires to account for -20C temp would be ok?

Last edited:
Correct me if I am wrong here.
Don't people set to lower PSI for winter driving? For better traction, I believe.

Don't people set to lower PSI for winter driving? For better traction, I believe.

It's only better traction in snow and ice, not on cold, wet roads. Most of the time the roads are plowed and salted, in which case proper pressure is better.

If you lower the air pressure A LOT, like down to the ' teens, the tire will flatten out some a 'supposedly' give more traction.

I don't think lowering from 35psi down just a few pounds will help, unless 35psi is causing the tire to ride on the center tread, which means it was overinflated.

I always add some air this time of year to compensate for the air's reduced volume at lower temps. I think about one psi per ten degrees F' will work.

Here is some information from Tire Rack about increasing tire pressure during colder temperatures
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/tech-page.jsp?techid=168

On the Michelin website they note… Winter guide | Get ready for winter | Michelin Canada

“Adjusting pressure in cold temperatures​

If you are adjusting your tire pressure outside in ambient temperature, set it to the vehicle manufacturers’ recommended pressures.”

Take your pick of information. I normally set the pressure specific to the vehicle’s manufacturer as noted on the inside sill of the drivers door.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link!

It seems adding 3psi above what is on the sticker is safe. It's also convenient for me since I don't check tire pressure every month. Temp will be below 0C next month, I guess it will just even out.

Back