Tint

I have 20% + 35% in the front, 5% on the sides and 2x 20% in the back and I dont have any problems with the heat. Im from Puerto Rico and the law here is no less than 35%. But Im a industrial tint installer for a few years and if you dont have problems with the law just put 35% all around, otherwise if your car have sunroof you can put 20% all around but be careful and if you see a cop just pull out the sunroof cover and you'll not have problems because the sunroof let enter an huge amount of light.

Gosh, I looked at most states current tint laws and I must say that CALIFORNIA SUCKS! we are allowed any % on the rear windows, but only 70% on the front! how retarded would I look with 5% and 70%...IM NOT A LIMO!

Ours is worse. As dark as we want on the back passenger and back windscreen, nothing on the front at all.........mismatch much?

All you guys thought your tint laws are retarded.. look at PA's.

Front Side Windows Must allow more than 70% of light in.
Back Side Windows Must allow more than 70% of light in.
Rear Window Must allow more than 70% of light in.

Oh, and no strip on the top of your windshield.

What is factory tint anyway? I figure it would be about 70% or so...

Damn PA laws.

I just got nailed for a tint ticket last week by a state trooper. First time ever they've stopped me just for tint. Most cops I know and talk to don't give a rats ass, and have their vehicles tinted as well. More than anything else, just a revenue generator.

Here's a nice listing of the state by state tint laws:

http://www.tintdude.com/laws.html

Last edited:
All you guys thought your tint laws are retarded.. look at PA's.

Front Side Windows Must allow more than 70% of light in.
Back Side Windows Must allow more than 70% of light in.
Rear Window Must allow more than 70% of light in.

Oh, and no strip on the top of your windshield.

What is factory tint anyway? I figure it would be about 70% or so...

Damn PA laws.

I'm in PA and this is how mine looks...20%...only had 1 warning so far in 2.5 years (knock on wood)
car3.jpg

Got a $240 fix it ticket in Oregon for 15% all around in my SER Spec V. Just tell the judge its fixed and its dropped lol. Legal here is 25% i believe.

good info tunersteve.. i wish i lived in NM now.. 20% all around is legal.. thats awsome.. here in MD its 35% all around.. blah.. and cops are dicks here too.. my friends just got 20%'s on his jeep.. pulled out of DNL (tint shop) and got pulled over 5 mins after getting tinted.. had to roll his window down and the tint was all scrunched up accordian style when he rolled it back up. BEATT.. and i got ticketed 4 days after getting my 20's.

I had 18% on mine. It looks dark if you take a picture with a camera or its a low light situation (raining / cloudy during the day) but during the normal Houston Sun you could see through it pretty well.

I had it redone 5% (limo) all the way around (except for windshield obviously) and couldn't be happier. Houston cops don't care unless your driving around a bad area. State Troopers can be a pain but I just roll them down if I seem em.

Worst part is having to pay off someone for my inspection but that's life.

Only visibility issues are if your driving down a road with no street lights and backing up / looking at the curb in low light situations. Sometimes I find myself leaning forward looking through the windshield to see but its worth it to me.

just had 35% put all the way around with a Huge 5% visor strip.. it looks siiick.. the rear triangular windows are peel a tiny bit in the corner so im gunna take it back today and have it redone.

I also wanted to get my windows tinted... don't the speed 6's come with tinted windows stock? They're not very dark but they definetly have some type of film. I can tell when I park beside a non-tinted car. I was wondering what the stock tint is (maybe 40%?) so I can get an idea when I go for something darker (around 20%, I have a friend who has 18% :|)

i believe the stock tint is a film and not a dye.. and i think its 70%.. its not much.. but better then nothing.. and my 35% would probably read out on a meter closer to 25% because 35% of 70% is 24.5% and same the other way around.. and i got 3M.. i would strongly reccomend them.. and im curious now if anyone knows how the math works to figure out what % tint you actually have when you mix 2 different films such as the 35% and 70%.. i believe it just multiplication but i honestly dont know.

IMO 20% is too dark but i live in MD and the tint laws around here suck but as for Ontario i dont know.. just ask around to ppl who have tints and ask is they have gotten puled over for them.. i had 20% for 4 days.. thats it.. and got pulled over and handed a repair order.

no they dont.. i watched them just slap mine on yesterday and they look great.. as i said im not 100% sure the stock tint is film.. it may be die.. id have to look it up.. but i have seen ppl get the 50% film and over lap it with 35% and its dark as shittt

Looks like tint, but I may be wrong. Haven't heard of putting new tint over the existing one. I guess I'd have to ask the tint shop...

well unfortunately my knock on wood didn't work as i got pulled over for 20% and got a $110 fine. he said i can pay the fine and leave it on and risk getting pulled over again, not by him though, he said he doesn't target people again, but i have so much other stuff with buying a new house to pay for that i'm just going to take it off so i dont' have to pay the fine and keep worrying about it. it was nice while i had it for 2.5 years though.

well unfortunately my knock on wood didn't work as i got pulled over for 20% and got a $110 fine. he said i can pay the fine and leave it on and risk getting pulled over again, not by him though, he said he doesn't target people again, but i have so much other stuff with buying a new house to pay for that i'm just going to take it off so i dont' have to pay the fine and keep worrying about it. it was nice while i had it for 2.5 years though.

You could pull it, have the fine waived, then wait and do it again if you're really wanting it. I can't imagine doing the front windows again would cost more than $110.

i have to take it off all the windows. the hardest one is going to be the rear and not screw up the defrosters, but my friend has a guy that works for him that does tinting so he is going to take it off for me. or i might just leave it on the rear so they don't get screwed up and see if they say anything about it.

i have to take it off all the windows. the hardest one is going to be the rear and not screw up the defrosters, but my friend has a guy that works for him that does tinting so he is going to take it off for me. or i might just leave it on the rear so they don't get screwed up and see if they say anything about it.

Totally forgot that PA law is goofy like that. I've got a court hearing tomorrow for my front windows, cops can write it up as a fix it or a fine, and the state cop nailed me for 'obstruction of view', which isn't a defective equip. ticket. I have a statement from a dealer saying the tint was removed and I'm hoping they'll drop the ticket. My car will be in the garage instead of at the courthouse.

now im curious tho.. does anyone here know the formula for if ur stock tint is.. lets say 70% and you get 35% tints put on.. what percent tint do you have after that??

Back