Tie rod question (2008 CX-9)

emann029

:
Mazda, CX-9 GT
I have a 08 CX-9 GT with about 118000 miles on it.. about 50000 miles ago, I purchased some tires (pirelli scorpion STR's) from tirerack.com. Two weeks ago I noticed that my 2 front tires were badly worn on the insides. Worn to steel belt under the tread. It was an emergency to buy new tires again. The warranty was expired for about 5000 miles so I pretty much summed it up to "old tires". My rear tires were also changed about 50000 miles ago too.. The rear tires however have about 50% tread left on them. So I went to tirerack.com and ordered 2 new tires. I had them installed yesterday and my trustworthy mechanic told me that I had an issue with my tie rods (inner and outer). He said they were a critical part of a front end alignment. he also suggested that I have both sides replaced. They quoted me about $800 parts labor and alignment. I think that is a little high for short notice repair. I was able to find the parts online for about $150 shipped. I am wondering if anyone had these parts replaced on their CX-9 before and if so, did you do it yourself?? I consider myself very handy as I perform my own maintenance like oil changes, brakes, and I recently replaced my spark plugs. I want to attempt to replace the tie rods myself and only pay the mechanic for an alignment. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

You can change the tie rods yourself, just remember to get an alignment right away. what brand did you buy? Moog are very good replacement and you can get them from rockauto.

I haven't done cx-9 tie rods but I have on other cars and it isn't generally a very big deal. On most cars removal of the outer tie rod requires removing a cotter pin and castle nut. Then you break the outer tie rod free from the knuckle by striking the knuckle (with a BFH) where the tie rod goes through. You can also use a pickle fork since you aren't concerned with preserving the rubber boot on the outer tie rod.

The inner tie rod can be a bit harder and *may* require a special tool. EricTheCarGuy has a useful video showing how to use a pipe wrench to remove and install an inner tie rod without the special tool. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZ9w7LXPXbY) This works if you have sufficient clearance to get the pipe wrench around the inner tie rod. If not, you will need to purchase or rent the special tool.

Thanks for the replies guys.. I have not purchased the tie rods yet but have been trying to price out the alternatives to see if it can be done.. I am going to attempt to to the replacement and if I get stuck, I will just pay the money..

08 with 118k should not need inner tie rods. Tire shops love to replace tie rods that are perfectly fine. Go to another place for another opinion. Another way to tell is to un-bolt the outer tie rod from the knuckle, use your handy dandy tie rod wedge tool, pop it out of the knuckle, and see if the outer tie rod is loose as a goose and moves freely all around.

Sounds Good!! will try.. parts and tools will be aboutt $200 if I do it myself with an $89 alignnment, that is a total of about almost $300. Waaay cheaper than the $800 i was quoted..

Thanks for the feedback guys

You may simply be out of alignment - toe and/or camber out of spec (especially toe) will eat up the inside of the tires in a hurry - like within a few thousand miles if it is bad out of spec.

are you rotating your tires on a regular basis?

i want to say yes but i have been changing my oil myself lately so I didn't rotate the tires.. I have been in FWD mode for most of my life.. I will now with these new tires.. lol

if i were you, first i would get the alignment actually checked to see if it is in spec. not clear if your mechanic did that first before recommending repairs or not. and then maybe get it checked again a couple months after to see if it holds, before replacing tie rods.

50k on a set of tires isn't all that bad, but if you weren't rotating them either (or hadn't in awhile) you can definitely shorten the life.

if i were you, first i would get the alignment actually checked to see if it is in spec. not clear if your mechanic did that first before recommending repairs or not. and then maybe get it checked again a couple months after to see if it holds, before replacing tie rods.

50k on a set of tires isn't all that bad, but if you weren't rotating them either (or hadn't in awhile) you can definitely shorten the life.

I did ask to look into why the tires were worn in the inside and he (my mechanic) said that my outer tie rod was shot. He said there is play in my front wheel causing it to wiggle slightly when in motion. That movement caused my tires to wear faster. However I was about 10K past the tire's factory warranty. I am really considering changing the outer tie rods first because it seems like a relatively simple job

My 2010 has 80K and my dealer told my inner tie rod (on one side) was starting to show a little play. They quoted me $425 for right side inner tie rod and an alignment.

I've never replaced tie rods before 100K, but I'll have to take a look myself to find out how much play. I've done control arms and ball joints on other cars, but never tried tie rods. Does not look terribly difficult.

Takes about twenty minutes a side to change tie rods. There is a video on youtube of a guy changing the tie rod ends for a CX-9.

I have a 08 CX-9 GT with about 118000 miles on it.. about 50000 miles ago, I purchased some tires (pirelli scorpion STR's) from tirerack.com. Two weeks ago I noticed that my 2 front tires were badly worn on the insides. Worn to steel belt under the tread. It was an emergency to buy new tires again. The warranty was expired for about 5000 miles so I pretty much summed it up to "old tires". My rear tires were also changed about 50000 miles ago too.. The rear tires however have about 50% tread left on them. So I went to tirerack.com and ordered 2 new tires. I had them installed yesterday and my trustworthy mechanic told me that I had an issue with my tie rods (inner and outer). He said they were a critical part of a front end alignment. he also suggested that I have both sides replaced. They quoted me about $800 parts labor and alignment. I think that is a little high for short notice repair. I was able to find the parts online for about $150 shipped. I am wondering if anyone had these parts replaced on their CX-9 before and if so, did you do it yourself?? I consider myself very handy as I perform my own maintenance like oil changes, brakes, and I recently replaced my spark plugs. I want to attempt to replace the tie rods myself and only pay the mechanic for an alignment. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
It's pretty much easy get your inner tie rod tool an everything else is easy.

Back