Thule Roof Rack for 14 3 S GT Hatchback

:
2014 Mazda3 S Grand Touring
OK, I've read completely though the thread at www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123834607-Roof-Rack-options-for-2014-Mazda3. I've also done the requisite Google search of the interwebz and lookup on Thule's website fit guide. I have a very specific question that I did not see an answer for. I suspect that may be because the answer is "no", but hope springs eternal.

QUESTION: Can I mount a Thule AeroBlade rack to the hard mount points on a '14 3S Grand Touring Hatchback? The above thread references mainly the factory aftermarket rack, which is a Yakima. Other searches show Thule having a solution for models through '13 (using their KIT3069 & 460R foot kit, that bolts into the hard points under the roof trim). However, the Thule fit guide doesn't show this as a solution for the '14 and later. Thule does have a fit kit that clamps to the door area - UGLY. Did the '14 body style change significantly? Has anyone used the Thule solution on a '14+ successfully?

Alternately I might consider a Yak solution that allows the use of longer crossbars, as long as they are the Whisper bars.

I have two considerations: I have a fair amount of Thule stuff, so I want the look and feel to be the same as well as everything keyed the same. Also, I'd like to have the bars stick out a little bit giving me a wider platform to mount things.

Thanks!

Oh, BTW, new forum member, just bought my Mazda3, first Mazda I will have owned. So far liking it, but only had it for a day.

Well, looks like disappointment from Thule on mounting to the hard points. Thought I'd update so others can benefit.

Response Via Email(Michael) - 01/26/2015 03:17 PM
Thank you for contacting Thule! For the 2014 and 2015 model Mazda 3 hatchback with the fixed points, unfortunately we do not recommend a kit that attaches to the fixed points due to a very low weight capacity, which is a safety concern for your equipment and other motorists on the road. We can only recommend the clamp fit style application, even if you do have the fixed points, simply from a safety standpoint. The weight limit is very low, so once you figure in all the wind and movement at highway speed, it is inadvisable to go with that style of mounting, hence we do not offer it as a fit in our Buyer's Guide. Thank you for the inquiry and have a great day!

OK, results, and they are good.

Went to REI this weekend. I figured the 2013 couldn't be that much different than the 2014. I got the Thule AeroBlade 47", Foot kit 460R, and fit kit 3069. It went on like a champ, and fits perfectly. I initially thought I was going to experience wind noise, but I put in the rubber strip into the T-slot and it went away. Looks great, fits great. All I ahve to do is drill the trim pieces for the threaded rod (or get the replacement pieces with the little doors) and re-install.

I'm lovin' it! Oh, and kudos to REI for letting me take the stuff out and make sure it fit first. REI rocks!

Back