Three-Door and/or AWD?

CentralPAZoom

:
2002 P5, Midnight Blue Metallic 5-spd
Hey all:

Anyone know any news on the possibility of the three-door and/or AWD in the US?

Three-door---
I think every generation of the Protege/323 has had a three-door variant in at least one market, if not the US (maybe not Gen3), but I did see in a variety of articles (Car & Driver) to name one, mention of a three-door in development.

I won't be ready for a new car 'til 2006 (my '02 P5 is just fine for now, and I can spend my hard earned money on some vacations) so i've got time. Just wondering if anyone has seen or heard info on the 3-door. I'd hate for it to have the same rear profile as the 5-door like the Focus has, but rather maybe have a profile like the M-B C230 hatch.

Maybe someone with the skills and a lot of time on their hands can Photochop (and post) what a Mazda3 three-door might look like... take a 3 from front bumper to just aft of the B-pillar (of course lengthening the door just a bit) and grafting on the rear quarter profile of a C230, followed by the taillights/rear of a Mazda3 four-door...

AWD---
In many other non-US markets, an AWD version of the 323 has existed for some time. Anyone hear anything about an AWD version of the Mazda3 here in the US? I'd hate to have to switch to a Subie for these northeastern winters, and tired of parking my P5 when it gets slick out--not wanting to buy winter treads--and having to drive the 4Runner instead.

Anyone, anyone? Bueller, Bueller?

Well the sources haven't always been the best, there have been a few rumors about the possibility of AWD in the form of the Mazdaspeed3. I believe it was in either Fortune or Money magazine that they mentioned it as a possibility.

A three-door AWD model would be the perfect Mazdaspeed3 in my opinion

Back