Thought I might add my 2 cents about MY09 GT Upgrades

:
Mazda 5 GT
Thought I might add my 2 cents about MY09 GT:

Thank you to to all the contributors to this forum, I've enjoyed reading all the helpful hints to make the MZ5 a great mini,mini van.

My Story on MY09 GT:

Dyno- matted and sound insulated entire interior (took one month/everyday/retired), New JL Audio TR 570-CXi Speakers, stock Navigation head unit= sounds great, no need to put in amplifier, some wind and road noise still...but much quieter!!! and the Clunking/knocking Noise!!!

Nitto Motivo Tires = Quiet and Grippy, Now Conti DWS 06 225/45-18 = quiet and grippy.

Update:

The noise I that I can still hear is probably from the low profile tires, Continental DWS 06,225/45-18 inflated to 37 psi to provide even wear.
It sounds more like riding on a over inflated balloon tire that is hollow with a thumpy sound. Happy with all sound deadening I preformed on the 5. Again its not a Lexus, maybe an Acura.

Tired of the knocking noise in the front since i bought the MZ5 used. with 19K miles, now 60k...

To quiet down the van: I Did Everything... Koni FDS, Moog end links F/R, installed prothane RSB bushes-still made clunky noise and squeeked-removed them, then replaced with Updated OEM FSB/ MS3 RSB, ,, to no avail..., the clunking continued about a week after replacing the OEM FSB bushes...frustrating, maybe the clunk will disappear after the PMM is replaced. (eric the car guy on youtube sugguested it might be the motor mount)

Update;

I've installed the Second Generation PMM and the Ford Focus E RMM and agree with the above comments: Slight vibrations at in drive at stop lights and no slipping or spinning wheels at hard acceleration from stand still.

Still have Clunking!

I found out the clunking noise was the "new" installed Moog front end links, noise came back one week after install. Didn't think it was end links because the FSB bushes were replaced at the same time. This was tested by disconnecting sway bar end of the end link on one side The upper ball joint had enough movement that caused the clunk/click. Maybe I installed the wrong part on the 5. The struts were Koni 4045 for the MS3 and used the MS3 specified Moog front link (cad plated discs at both ends w zerk fittings that interfere with strut housing). Going to try the new improved Moog end link "Problem Solver"for the MZ5, solid black joints, off set zerk fittings... hopefully this will work![/B]

SPC adjustable camber arms (even tire wear,raised tire pressure to 38 psi), Stock Mz5 Springs, MS3 Front Calipers with Centric Hi Carbon Rotors, SS brake lines, Hawk HPS 50 Pads, 2010 MS3 18" Rims (5 have bent on roads in the Bay Area+ soft stock MS3 rims),

Although the EXE rear exhaust makes the MZ5 sound more sporty, the van can out manuver and out brake the Elise, plus can carry bags of dirt for the Mrs.(nana)

Update:
I found out the clunking noise was the "new" installed Moog front end links, noise came back one week after install. Didn't think it was end links because the FSB bushes were replaced at the same time. This was tested by disconnecting sway bar end of the end link on one side The upper ball joint had enough movement that caused the clunk/click. Maybe I installed the wrong part on the 5. The struts were Koni 4045 for the MS3 and used the MS3 specified Moog front link (cad plated discs at both ends w zerk fittings that interfere with strut housing). Going to try the new improved Moog end link "Problem Solver"for the MZ5, solid black joints, off set zerk fittings... hopefully this will work!

The noise I that I can still hear is probably from the low profile tires, Continental DWS 06,225/45-18 inflated to 37 psi to provide even wear.

It sounds more like riding on a over inflated balloon tire that is hollow with a thumpy sound. Happy with all sound deadening I preformed on the 5. Again its not a Lexus, maybe an Acura.

Update...the MZ5 is running great and nothing to fix!!! GOT RID OF THE CLUNK!

I have replaced my Front and Rear Sway Bar Bushes with Upgraded and Current OEM Bushes,Energy Suspension Poly Bushes and Moog K200675 Blue Bush FSB. The Moog proved to be the MOST EFFECTIVE replacement bushing for me! I bought them thru RockAuto.com.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....202106&jsn=399

The OEM bush lasted a few months before Clunked Again!

The Energy Suspension bushed squeeked w/in a few months even with the approved lubricant!

The Moog Blue Bushing was Nirvana! No Clunk or Noise....this was after I did everything except changing the LCA bushes...I mean every thing!

Top Hats on suspension, Koni FSD, Moog End Links, Motor Mounts all except Trans Mount...Used E Focus RMM, no wheel hop!

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Hahahahahaha... haHAHAAHA! (cryhard)(cryhard)

Lotus Elise weight = 1600 lbs
Mazda5 weight = 3300 lbs

No.

The numbers are spot on, yet the Mazda has the edge.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/5vZjknmQ6A0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I have an Elise

I also have a mazda5 modified . It is a fun van, no where near the Elise

0aaaaht1.jpg

We just recently were dealing with clunking on our 09 gt. We took it in because we were getting noises front and rear. First they replaced all the endlinks. That solved the problem in the rear but not the front. They put the front endlinks back on and replaced the bushings. No more clunks for us at all now. Our 5 only has about 36k miles on it...

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Back