Thinking of buying an ms3

protege02

:
2002 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V
i just have a few questions. 1. what are the difference between the 08 and 09 ms3s. i've read about a different turbo, but are there any other differences? 2. im looking for a used 08 or 09 for around $20k walking out of the door with around 15k to 20k miles on it, is this a reasonable price? also do these cars still have motor mount issues, and are there any other issues that they have? 3. what's some plus's and minus's of owning this car? thanks for the replies and reading.

There's no difference in engine or drivetrain. The turbo is exactly the same in both models as far as I know.

The differences are the interior trim (07-08 having a gray trim, 08.5-09 having a piano black trim), the seats, something about CDs that play MP3s, and a red Mazdaspeed sticker on the interior in the 08.5-09. Oh, and color options.

There's no difference in engine or drivetrain. The turbo is exactly the same in both models as far as I know.

The differences are the interior trim (07-08 having a gray trim, 08.5-09 having a piano black trim), the seats, something about CDs that play MP3s, and a red Mazdaspeed sticker on the interior in the 08.5-09. Oh, and color options.

Late 08s, aka 08.5 models and 09 models seat/door panels are leather and alcantara whereas the earlier models are leather and cloth...

Last edited:
my 08 has leather and alcantara??

hehe yes. I hate when people try to call it something different like an 08.5, like when people talk about 64.5 ford mustangs. Its still a 64, just like the 08.5 is STILL an 08. Just happens to come with a different interior material in it.

i personally dislike the piano black, but like the door inserts and seats that you get :)

for the OP. I got a 2008 model with only 4K miles on it for 20K from a private seller. Already had the mazdaspeed cold air intake and painted the stockers professionally done a Nissan Titan dark gray and had the whole car tinted. So that stuff along saved me upwards of almost $800-$1000 for all that stuff.

Just have to search craigslist or your autotrader.com My seller was in the same parking lot I work in and the car was out there and I never knew it was there so I scooped it up. You SHOULD be able to find one in your price range with that mileage for sure. Not sure how many people with an 09 model have 15-20K miles on them already tho

plus's of the car are......you can modify it(yippy)

minuses are that modifying cost money......(eek2)

that's any car, but i'll keep that in mind. the reason i said 15 to 20k miles is because i have an 02 spec v now, and it has 89xxx miles on it, and i have an extended warranty till 105k miles(trying to be nice to whoever owns the car after me and get the warranty to fix everything that will possible break or need to be changed because i would hate if i bought a car that crapped out on me), so once 104k miles come by i'll be looking for one. im thinking i'll be there by may or june the latest. so basically mazda is doing the samething that they did with the ms protege. change colors, body panels, discontinue car, and come out with something new or a new body style. once again thanks for all the info.

In addition to the above changes for '08.5, '09s have a revised ECU. This is evident by the fact that existing Cobb Access Port ECU-flasher programs will not work on '09s. Whether or not the factory revision is any upgrade over the 08.5 is still up for debate.

Anyone that tells you that "09s are just relabelled 08.5s" has no idea what they are talking about.

are the sunlight silver metallic mica one's(i think that's the color, but i could be wrong) for 07's only? the 09's come in black, white, red, and a dark titanium/grey color. i went by the dealer today, and they offered me 21xxx for a red sport and 23xxx for a grand tour. what do 08's come in? I'm thinking of a silver, black, or red one, but red will be a last resort.

if you want to spend 20 out the door for a used one, i'll tell you i spent 25 out the door for my brand new one...

i'm not sure if 5,000 is a lot for you or not, but maybe consider waiting a little, saving up some more and treating yourself to that new car smell =]

are the sunlight silver metallic mica one's(i think that's the color, but i could be wrong) for 07's only? the 09's come in black, white, red, and a dark titanium/grey color. i went by the dealer today, and they offered me 21xxx for a red sport and 23xxx for a grand tour. what do 08's come in? I'm thinking of a silver, black, or red one, but red will be a last resort.

The '08s had a mid-year refresh. So the early '08s had the same colors as the '07s (Sunlight Silver, True Red, black, Cosmic Blue), and then the '08.5s and '09s share colors (Metro Grey, True Red, black, white).

Just drive it. Then you would even buy a PINK one!

lol, red looks pretty good. i just test drove a black sport and a red gt. i liked the sport, but the gt isn't bad, but im not a fan of navigation, leather(dont really like leather), and the radio didn't seem that much better. slightly louder, but i have a full aftermarket set all ready, so i'll probably just transfer it. they offered me 21.2k for the black sport w/wheel locks and the auto dimming mirror(dont care for the mirror) with 10 miles on it(it just came off the truck, and i was the first one to test drive it which makes me want it even more now). the gt had alot of options, and they wanted 26.xk for it. i thought the car was fairly nice, and the tc or torque steer system seemed very functional with it being wet outside. they offered 4,900 for my spec v, but i was appraised 5,5xx from carmax and nissan, so if i got it i would finance from 16,000 which isn't too bad i guess as a starting figure and probably be at 20k or around it after everything is said and done. hmmmm, so much to think about now, but oh well, i'll keep you all posted, and once again, thanks for the replies.

So going to thread jack back up to someone who said that the 09's are NOT relabelled 08's. What is the world would make you think they arent? A programming change in the ECU? I can get that update at the dealership...

Back