There will be a new CX-5 in 2 years...Mazda said

Hope they make it bigger :)
Rav4 and the new CRV are already there while the CX5 is small compared to them like a lifted hatchback and is also starting to show its age after 6 years...
i agree they should make it bigger to remain competitive, but i don't think it has to be much bigger. don't forget they also have the cx-50. the cx-30 is the one that's more-or-less a jacked up AWD mazda 3; this is bigger. the only thing that i would really like to see bigger would be the back seat area (more foot room).

i agree they should make it bigger to remain competitive, but i don't think it has to be much bigger. don't forget they also have the cx-50. the cx-30 is the one that's more-or-less a jacked up AWD mazda 3; this is bigger. the only thing that i would really like to see bigger would be the back seat area (more foot room).
And a little bit bigger back hatch area.

And better gas mileage
It will probably be a hybrid or ZEV. I don't know what Mazda is going to do in my state. Dealers must sell 43% zero emmision vehicles starting in 2026 and the % rises each year until it hits 100% on 2035. Insanity. Wonder what the dealers are gonna do with all those vehicles gathering dust on their lots. There's been a lot of pushback but I don't think the lib politicans care. It's not like our state has bad air pollution, in fact we're below the EPA state standards.

Last edited:
PHEV counts as EV...
I'm not sure it will here, waiting for more details from our state rep. Doesn't the PHEV still use gas?
If that's the case they seem hell-bent on getting rid of anything that uses gas.

They're so crazy they reclassified NG as a renewable so they could pay Bloom Energy to build a big fuel cell plant to supply some of our electricity. Of course we rate payers footed the bill. I have roughly $7.00 tacked onto my electric bill each month to give to Bloom. They also lied to the state on how many people they would employ.

Doesn't Mazda have something bigger....the CX-9? Or are we overlapping now? I think the CX-5 is just fine the size it is.

I like my 5 just how it is. Do not have a big family, prefer a little power over fuel economy, and cargo volume- well, it can get the groceries just fine. My priorities may be different from that of others, but for me it is a perfect fit.

I'm not sure it will here, waiting for more details from our state rep. Doesn't the PHEV still use gas?
If that's the case they seem hell-bent on getting rid of anything that uses gas.

They're so crazy they reclassified NG as a renewable so they could pay Bloom Energy to build a big fuel cell plant to supply some of our electricity. Of course we rate payers footed the bill. I have roughly $7.00 tacked onto my electric bill each month to give to Bloom. They also lied to the state on how many people they would employ.
wlong01,
When some states said they will stop sale of vehicles with gasoline/diesel engines in 203x, they meant 100% ZEVs and PHEVs...

Hence, PHEVs count as ZEVs (or BEVs). That's what I meant.
Of course, PHEVs need to meet certain criteria to qualify... pure battery range of 50 miles for CA. ZEVs need to have at least 150 miles of range.

wlong01,
When some states said they will stop sale of vehicles with gasoline/diesel engines in 203x, they meant 100% ZEVs and PHEVs...

Hence, PHEVs count as ZEVs (or BEVs). That's what I meant.
Of course, PHEVs need to meet certain criteria to qualify... pure battery range of 50 miles for CA. ZEVs need to have at least 150 miles of range.
Hopefully Mazda will come out with something decent in the timeframe. I'm sure that's one of the reasons they partnered with Toyota.

nice but 7 years between a redesign/refresh is a tad long! they should have focused on the CX5 instead of introducing new models like the cx50 & cx90. what i liked about mazda was they did not have a zillion different models o_O

what i liked about mazda was they did not have a zillion different models o_O
What Mazda has done however is increase the number of trim levels for it's various models. Way more confusing then when I bought my 2019 CX-5 GTR.

Doesn't Mazda have something bigger....the CX-9? Or are we overlapping now? I think the CX-5 is just fine the size it is.
i think the current cx-5 is just about big enough, but it is small at least in the back seat and hatch area compared to the newer japanese compact SUVs. it also handles better though, and might not if made much bigger. for families that want to stick with a compact SUV i can understand wanting the cx-5 to get bigger to fit their growing kids and belongings. as a bachelor, i'm happy with the current size.

It will probably be a hybrid or ZEV. I don't know what Mazda is going to do in my state. Dealers must sell 43% zero emmision vehicles starting in 2026 and the % rises each year until it hits 100% on 2035. Insanity. Wonder what the dealers are gonna do with all those vehicles gathering dust on their lots. There's been a lot of pushback but I don't think the lib politicans care. It's not like our state has bad air pollution, in fact we're below the EPA state standards.
i'm not concerned for the environmental aspects so much (nor do i pretend to like a lot of people seem to), but i want better gas mileage. maybe that makes me selfish, who knows. i think a lot of people are in this camp though.

I hope Mazda will put the new 8-speed into the next CX-5.
That alone should help with MPG (at least highway MPG).

I also don't want it to be bigger.
The current size is just right.
Don't mess with success (50% sale of Mazda USA from CX-5).
More features, memory mirror, telescopic steering column .... you name it. The more, the merrier. At no extra cost... of course.. ;)

Back