The TouchScreen in cars debate

How is reaching for the commander knob any better than reaching for the touch screen? To me it's worse, because it takes longer to access something via Mazda's knob and menu system than it does using most of the touch screen systems on the market. And you still have to look at the screen while you're doing it.

IMO, Mazda's system is a misguided attempt to copy a "luxury" feature that originated with BMW, Audi, et al before modern touch screen interfaces were introduced, and has been obsolete for about 10 years now.

Having Idrive for the last 6 years I have learned all the commands without looking at the knob. The advantage is that your not poking at the screen taking your eyes off the road. Example you need to tap the screen 3 times to dig into a specific menu with your eyes staring at each poke. Not to mention the delays between pokes. Memorizing the (Idrive) command knob and buttons I can go through multiple screens without looking at the screen until I am done. Funny thing is the new BMWs now have both options.

They make that very point in the story:

GLINTON: McGehee says the problem with touch screens is unlike radio presets or your AC button, your brain can't automatically map to them. The third time you drive your Aunt Murlene's Cadillac, you know where the volume button is and that the preset number one is smooth jazz. But with a touch screen, you always have to look down.

MCGEHEE: So we have to actually look at the button. We have to find it as a target with our finger and watch our finger literally physically touch that button and then verify that we've executed the volume. It takes a lot more attention to do that than it does to just grab a (Commander) knob.

LOL. /edited

How is reaching for the commander knob any better than reaching for the touch screen? To me it's worse, because it takes longer to access something via Mazda's knob and menu system than it does using most of the touch screen systems on the market. And you still have to look at the screen while you're doing it.

Depends on the task. No way am I going to use a touch screen for volume up or down (Honda looking at you LOL). I'd use the steering wheel or the commander knob's little friend..the volume knob next to it. Muting/pausing a song...volume knob. Adjusting bass/treble/centerpoint...commander knob it. Choosing phone book contacts? Commander knob it. My screen is clean because its never used :) 50/50 commander/volume knob and steering wheel controls.

Right?

No idea why our USA CX-5's didn't have the knobs? Must be good ol' MazdaUSA again...

Had to put the cupholders somewhere. No; really. I'm sure there is some internal back and forth about it, but I bet they can easily produce evidence that having cupholders there instead the knob will move a lot more metal.

Probably not too hard to install the knob if you really want it.

The CX-5 is my first "adult" car and I have no desire to have a touchscreen in my car. Sat in a tesla this weekend and it was an okay dashboard, but I still prefer the buttons. As someone mentioned above you can find and press buttons without having to look. I don't want to dirty another screen in my life.

I don't think I've used the touchscreen a single time since purchasing mine. I don't think I ever will.

No problem using the system in my wife's 3. I actually prefer the steering wheel and console buttons to the touch screen anyway.

As for the 'E'-brake, I haven't missed a real one so far and hill assist has never failed me. That said, it hasn't snowed yet either lol

Kind of related to the topic: do any of you guys use the voice controls? How are they?

Oregon just passed a law forbidding the holding of any electronic device while driving so I struggled a bit with the NAV and it's brutal trying to enter a destination. I just remembered it has voice controls but I've never a tally tried them out.

Back