the question that is asked a thousand times over and over

i8urgti

once again here is another thread of which tunning solution to go with

Cobb v StandBack v Hypertech

my performance mods as of today are Cobb SF Intake and TIP, SU 2.5 inch TP, CP-E single cat back with resonator, no muffler. my future plans are ETS or SU TMIC (i dont want a FMIC for numerous reasons), some set of spark plugs that i still have to decide on, and may be a downpipe if i can be convinced i wont be smoking like a diesel truck.

i know i need a rmm and rear diff mounts, im working on that next aside from the ascetics. and please reasoning for the tunning solutions. i would like to not spend the money on a tuner then have to keep tunning over and over as a get a new mod.

haha, no like all out? Basically anything past whats listed. Like big turbo with meth and a blah blah blah. Or do you plan on keeping things the way you have it or pretty close to the way you have it?

with the mods you want i would say stay away from the hypertech. IMO its still too new and you never buy the first generation lol.
The accessport is pretty well known by the automotive community. The SB is a little narrower.

The accessport has a sick help manual that describes every change you can make to the tables and what the outcome will be. With the cpe sb i cant comment on that because i dont have one. sb is a piggy back, its not limited like the stock ecu is on the ap is (right now, It will be changing soon, but who knows when).

haha, no like all out? Basically anything past whats listed. Like big turbo with meth and a blah blah blah. Or do you plan on keeping things the way you have it or pretty close to the way you have it?

with the mods you want i would say stay away from the hypertech. IMO its still too new and you never buy the first generation lol.
The accessport is pretty well known by the automotive community. The SB is a little narrower.

The accessport has a sick help manual that describes every change you can make to the tables and what the outcome will be. With the cpe sb i cant comment on that because i dont have one. sb is a piggy back, its not limited like the stock ecu is on the ap is (right now, It will be changing soon, but who knows when).

Ohh ok lol well no, what I listed is what I intend to go for at most for future mods ( although we all know that can change). I can only afford one car at this time so I do not have the money for the inevitable downtime that comes with going big turbo. At most I would get a reworked K04 but that's still a stretch.

I too am a believer in the don't go for the first generation, but if I remember correctly we both own 06 MS6's and it was the first of its kind for mazda lol. So with the hypertech, on MSF it seems to be working out pretty well and seems a little on the conservative side. I have a lot to read up on the AP (which I am most leaning towards) because I am far to unfamiliar with tuning to be messing with maps and tables.

modding your tits can probably get you free mods if done correctly haha

LOL!

I'd rather pay for the bigger tits on my girlfriend, but then they'd be too big for my taste anyway.

You can always try using some whipped cream if you change your mind..

once again here is another thread of which tunning solution to go with

Cobb v StandBack v Hypertech

I'm not familiar with the Standback, as I have an AP, but I've only heard good things about the Standback by and large. If you don't want to/have time to learn how to tune, AND you don't want to get a pro-tune done either, you maaay consider the hypertech. After learning a bit about tuning myself, I think the Hypertech thing is a waste. Car are running afr's in the low 10s, which is ridiculously rich. I don't know how they are making any power at all.

The AP is great, but there's a decent learning curve when you get into tuning. So, it can be very time consuming. It's also really cool (imo) and you'll learn a TON that you wouldn't otherwise. I was in the same spot as you in terms of a pro-tune. I wanted a pro-tune, but I wasn't going to pay for one after every mod, so I learned how to do it on my own. I'm adding meth this week, and as soon as I can afford a catted-DP, I'm getting a pro-tune just to maximize power... I'll be done modding for awhile. I still won't have an exhaust mani and BT, but if I ever scrounge up the funds for those, I'm going to get them both at the same time, and get another pro-tune (prob like 1 year out). I figure 2 isn't bad. I've heard some places will charge you ~$500 for the first pro-tune, and $300 for future ones when adding bolts ons.

Oh, and if you decided to learn tuning on your own, you're going to have to take datalogs, and monitor stuff. A DashHawk is your best friend. It live monitors everything, and you can set alerts, etc.. so you don't have to be constantly logging, or driving "blind."

Perhaps someone w/ a Standback can chime in on that? I have never seen the tables or interface.

Last edited:
You can always try using some whipped cream if you change your mind..

I'm not familiar with the Standback, as I have an AP, but I've only heard good things about the Standback by and large. If you don't want to/have time to learn how to tune, AND you don't want to get a pro-tune done either, you maaay consider the hypertech. After learning a bit about tuning myself, I think the Hypertech thing is a waste. Car are running afr's in the low 10s, which is ridiculously rich. I don't know how they are making any power at all.

The AP is great, but there's a decent learning curve when you get into tuning. So, it can be very time consuming. It's also really cool (imo) and you'll learn a TON that you wouldn't otherwise. I was in the same spot as you in terms of a pro-tune. I wanted a pro-tune, but I wasn't going to pay for one after every mod, so I learned how to do it on my own. I'm adding meth this week, and as soon as I can afford a catted-DP, I'm getting a pro-tune just to maximize power... I'll be done modding for awhile. I still won't have an exhaust mani and BT, but if I ever scrounge up the funds for those, I'm going to get them both at the same time, and get another pro-tune (prob like 1 year out). I figure 2 isn't bad. I've heard some places will charge you ~$500 for the first pro-tune, and $300 for future ones when adding bolts ons.

Oh, and if you decided to learn tuning on your own, you're going to have to take datalogs, and monitor stuff. A DashHawk is your best friend. It live monitors everything, and you can set alerts, etc.. so you don't have to be constantly logging, or driving "blind."

Perhaps someone w/ a Standback can chime in on that? I have never seen the tables or interface.

Funny story about the uses of whipped cream. I went to A&P on valentines day this past year for obvious reasons at approx 8pm and I got the last can in the whole store lol

Back to the tunning question. I think I will just get a Dashhawk so I can monitor what's going on with my car. What would be a great idea is if someone had made a spread sheet w/ everything a Dashhawk logs, with the safe ranges of each, and what is extremely high and extremely low. Or is there a list on one of the forums I can get with the safe LTFT, KR, fuel pump pressure, ect.

Funny story about the uses of whipped cream. I went to A&P on valentines day this past year for obvious reasons at approx 8pm and I got the last can in the whole store lol

Back to the tunning question. I think I will just get a Dashhawk so I can monitor what's going on with my car. What would be a great idea is if someone had made a spread sheet w/ everything a Dashhawk logs, with the safe ranges of each, and what is extremely high and extremely low. Or is there a list on one of the forums I can get with the safe LTFT, KR, fuel pump pressure, ect.

The DH can monitor everything. Go to their website, and download the manual so you can get a jump start... that's what I did, and it helped. Some of the PIDs are Mazda specific (there's a Mazda section to select things to monitor) and a lot of them are in the general section as they are the same for all cars.

You want your LTFT's within (+/- 5), although the Helpfile says anything within +/- 8 or 9 is fine. You want KR to be 0 or no greater than 1, especially under WOT. Fuel pressure should be 1,600+ PSI under WOT through redline. The Helpfile says if it drops to 1,200 PSI you need to replace it w/ an aftermarket pump... you should do that anyways. My stocker held pressure great, but then started to fizzle out after 6 weeks. One of the most important things to keep an eye on is your actual AFRs. You really need to spend time reading the Helpfile, as it covers all this stuff. GL

Thanks for the info. Looks like I will be buying a DashHawk next, along w/ assorted mounts.

You're welcome. Sorry, I assumed that you had an AccessPort when I said to "read the helpfile." You can get to the Helpfile on msf... it's a sticky in the Access Tuner Race Support section. If you plan on getting an AP anytime soon, reading ahead of time is a good idea.. it's pretty dense. I had my AP for several weeks before getting a DH, so when I got mine, I already knew exactly what I wanted to watch, etc. etc.

You're welcome. Sorry, I assumed that you had an AccessPort when I said to "read the helpfile." You can get to the Helpfile on msf... it's a sticky in the Access Tuner Race Support section. If you plan on getting an AP anytime soon, reading ahead of time is a good idea.. it's pretty dense. I had my AP for several weeks before getting a DH, so when I got mine, I already knew exactly what I wanted to watch, etc. etc.

you've been a big help. looks like i now have some new reading material for the shitter

the help file is also in the atr download. its a menu option which opens as a pdf. print it, read it, learn it.

hey douge, just curious on how come you think the Hypertech is a waste?
for a moderately modified car it seems on the money, less expensive than a cobb, less of a learning curve for tuning (and less aggressive of tunes).

ofc, heavily modified i 100% agree a person should go with teh cobb AP for obvious reasons. just curious cause i havent heard of any problems with the HP yet, but i also havent read the HP therad on MSF for the last month...

Soo whats the verdict as I was about to post up and ask between Hypertech or Cobb AP ;)

And is there an acronym listing for all this ? I'm good with the IT acronyms but tuning has a completely different set.

Back