The Never-ending Question...What happens to the CX-5 Next Year (2025)?

GTXT23

LightFoot
I decided to dip back into the Marianas Trench of CX-5 internet data on the coming changes in 2025 for the CX-5 !
My fellow Mazda 247 participants usually have more up to date information than I, but , Im going for it here .
Some sources are saying the CX-5 will NOT be eliminated due to strong sales and its appeal ...in other words ...its making Mazda lots of money !
So even when everything seems to be just fine , manufacturers inevitably love breaking grampas rule..... " if it ain't broke don't fix it ! "
So fix they ...will ?? We all know that gas mileage is not only appealing , but mandated, which is bs imo.
I dont know what the electric mandate is because it causes a gag reflex - So reading that the CX-5 will be going to a "hybrid - 4-cyl" and or using the Mazda 6 cyl in place of the Turbo in 2025 is big news ? Even though I am not a turbo owner, it as an absolute blast of a vehicle that causes many an adrenaline dump to occur , thus creating a loyal following -- and the NA 4 , pegged as " lackluster " and " underpowered " appeals to people like me , who just want A-B transpo with old-skewel technology that can be maintained in ones home garage - and gets great AWD gas mileage -
So the point ?--- The 4 cyl NA with CD thats pretty basic will be replaced by a no-doubt costly "Hybrid-4" meaning 2 engines- ( gas / elec ) , and an expensive battery and near complete drivetrain reengineering to marry the power delivery- , Then the question , on the Turbo , is resolved by the newly launched inline 6 which delivers similar power to the 4-T but obviously with different characteristics - I can't say this is gospel ....but I will take a " lackluster " NA-4 cyl with CD over a $15K more expensive "Hybrid " 4 that delivers maybe 3 more mpg ? For the Turbo people --- I would like to hear your opinions as well, on giving up the T-4 for the inline 6 and ..yes or course more money !

If the CX-5 remains on the small car platform, it will not support the new inline-6 or the transmission. They wouldn't physically fit under the hood. That's a part of the reason the new CX-90 fares poorly compared to the TNGA-K based Grand Highlander- that extra 6 inches of space between the front axle and dash for the engine and longitudinal transmission in the CX-90 goes straight towards 3rd row legroom. I would like to see a new 8 speed, call it FW8A if you'd like, or at least Aisin's 8 speed used in the Tiguan and RAV4. The 2.5L NA engine is in need of a boost with these cars creeping up on 4000 lbs, and Toyota's hybrid system seems to fit the bill. However with a new 8 speed we could theoretically not have to deal with the eCVT transmission found in Toyota products. We see this in Mazda's 8 speed in the CX-60/90, Mercedes 9Gtronic, many Hyundai DCT hybrids, and I think the ZF8. Mazda could also scale up Skyactiv-X to 2.5L, which does result in some gains in horsepower/torque over Skyactiv-G, but I think it requires 93 octane fuel and technically involves a supercharger, so that's no longer fitting the simple naturally aspirated bill. Your 3 mpg increase estimate on going hybrid seems a little pessimistic. RAV4 gas is EPA rated at 27 city 35 highway. RAV4 hybrid is EPA rated at 41 city(!) and 38 highway. If you do a fully highway commute you may see little benefit with the RAV4 hybrid, but it does also come with a 20 HP gain, less noise from the engine, no spinning rear drive axle, and doesn't need to be plugged in. Not to mention if you're a real person who sees some stop and go commute, so you see a 14 MPG improvement. I don't see the downside.

If they keep it, it needs a body update. I have a 2023 cx5 turbo and the more I see it the more dated it looks. it looks like a grandma car..It definitely needs a bit more power. first few miles i thought it did pretty well on giddy up but now that I am used to it I think about 40-50hp more hp would be nice. I agree there is no way the I6 would really work. I do like that the cx90 is rear wheel bias tho and be cool if the cx5 did something like that too.

For 2025... my predictions for CX-5. It will stay with us.

1. Refined handling with a similar size and chassis.
2. 2.5G, 2.5T and 2.5G+PHEV (maybe 2.5G will disappears from US, but retained for other countries)
3. 8-speed auto transmission
4. Upgrades in ADAS.

If the CX-5 remains on the small car platform, it will not support the new inline-6 or the transmission. They wouldn't physically fit under the hood.
Plus, nearly all manufacturers have done away with 6 cyl engines for the mass market and gone to turbo 4's for fuel economy and emissions. I don't see that changing.

But I don't agree with the timeline. I don't think Mazda releases a new CX-5 until MY 2026.

As previously mentioned, the six cylinder twin turbo will not fit into the CX five engine bay due to the addition of the 2 turbos. The only reason they were able to fit the six cylinder twin turbo in the CX nine was because there was more room in the engine bay compartment. Also, as others mentioned why sell your bread and butter CX five when it’s out sells the CX 50. I think they’re gonna pull a Nissan and keep it on sale next to the CX 50 for a long time. Personally, I find the CX five much better looking than the CX 50 also less how many people actually take their Mazda off-road (cx-5/cx50).
Finally, the CX 50 rear suspension is not nearly as good as the independent rear suspension found on the CX five. Both cars are pavement, prowlers more than off-road vehicles. The CX 50 looks more rugged, but the CX five looks much sexier, especially in the signature trim.

I have two CX fives and one CX 50 in the family. The CX 50 is NA and it’s a dog compared to the CX five NA and the CX five turbo.

Last edited:
From KBB:

Tougher Suspension

Mazda is pretty good at engines, but great at suspensions. The secret sauce in most Mazda products is a carefully tuned suspension that makes driving at neighborhood speeds more fun.

The CX-50’s suspension, unsurprisingly, is key to its off-road skills. The CX-5 and CX-50 share a similar suspension setup in front. But in the rear, the CX-50 loses the independent multi-link rear suspension common to other Mazdas. Instead, a tougher torsion beam setup keeps the rear under control.

Designing a rugged off-road suspension to deliver the Mazda driving feel on the road is another level of magic. But Mazda has pulled it off.

It looks like Mazda is planning a big update to Skyactiv-X in 2025.

at the same meeting, the brand announced that in 2025 it will launch a profound evolution of its flagship Skyactiv X mechanics that will presumably increase its power, decrease its consumption and improve its performance.

It looks like Mazda is planning a big update to Skyactiv-X in 2025.

Sounds like progress.....those engineers need to keep getting paychecks - Im happy with my 2.5NA- Ive had a strange feeling that getting a hold of a traditional 16v -inline -4 with dohc - would be ending soon - lets hope not !

I have a 2023 cx5 turbo and the more I see it the more dated it looks. it looks like a grandma car..
I've always maintained that from the external look department, Gen 1 CX-5 > Gen 2 CX-5.

Not at all to say that the Gen 2's aren't clearly the nicer cars, but I don't know, too much chrome added and I don't like how they changed a lot of the lines the Gen 1 had.

I think you can look to the CX-60 and CX-70 for Mazda's current design language.

If they already share a lot of lines with the CX-5, I wouldn't expect a radical departure for a 2025 CX-5. There's nothing that shows their thoughts on design have changed much. Take a close look at the 70/90 hatch, fenders, etc, and tell me you don't see it.

That said, I'm trying to think what niche Mazda needs to fill.

They have midsize premium/luxury in the 70 and 90.
They have that outdoorsy feel going with the 50.
And compact premium sport is filled by the 30.
The 5 remains as small sport premium SUV, I suppose. I hope they keep that.

I'm not crazy about the direction they are going. I think the Mazda 6 and CX-5 are the better looking cars and on the better platform than the 30 and 50. There are too many quirks about those two that just bug me when I test drive them. Sales are telling Mazda loud and clear that they need to continue the 5...they just need to find its place and capitalize on it.

Last edited:
I'm waiting for a Plugin Hybrid with about the size and elegance of the 2nd gen CX-5. I was hoping the CX-70 would be close enough, but its way too big.

Unfortunately rumor is that the CX-5 will just get a conventional hybrid :(.

It would be great if the reason they made the CX-70 just a trim of the CX-90 is because they are still going to build that car but call it the 3rd gen CX-5.

I keep wondering if strategically they are preparing CX60 to hit NA market to make CX5 crowd choose between CX50 and CX60
The problem is that neither drives as good as CX5 :(

I've always maintained that from the external look department, Gen 1 CX-5 > Gen 2 CX-5.
I agree there, but with the exception of the front end/grill.

I'm not crazy about the direction they are going. I think the Mazda 6 and CX-5 are the better looking cars and on the better platform than the 30 and 50. There are too many quirks about those two that just bug me when I test drive them.
Sorry, but the CX-50 is the best looking one by a hair over the 6, then the CX-5 takes the bronze. The CX-60/70/90's though, are just flat out ugly. :p

I keep wondering if strategically they are preparing CX60 to hit NA market to make CX5 crowd choose between CX50 and CX60
The problem is that neither drives as good as CX5 :(
Not so. The CX-50 drives better and more responsively than the CX-5. The CX-5 rides a bit better than the CX-50, but that's the tradeoff (we have both so I can compare directly). I haven't driven the -60, so cannot comment on that.

Sorry, but the CX-50 is the best looking one by a hair over the 6, then the CX-5 takes the bronze. The CX-60/70/90's though, are just flat out ugly. :p
Looks are definitely subjective, but I couldn't get over the cladding and the fake vents on the rear.

But by quirks I meant just a whole host of things relating to build quality, the seat belts, seats, door chimes, all kinds of little things.

The CX-50 drives better and more responsively than the CX-5. The CX-5 rides a bit better than the CX-50, but that's the tradeoff (we have both so I can compare directly). I haven't driven the -60, so cannot comment on that.
I think the CX-5 is capable of a lot more but is hampered by the stock springs and tires which seem set up to appease a mass market but disappoint people who want tighter handling.

I was reading an article last night which suggested Mazda may rename the CX-5 as the CX-40 which makes sense with the current nomenclature. They already have a patent for the CX-40 name in the US. It seems they must do something as the chassis is over 10yrs old. If they don't release a new version I will likely be going elsewhere for my next car. The CX-70 is unfortunately too big for my tastes. I was hoping for a CX-60 length vehicle. I am thinking about the Santa Fe and Sorrento now.

But by quirks I meant just a whole host of things relating to build quality, the seat belts, seats, door chimes, all kinds of little things.
Not sure I understand the term "quality" here. I admit that the turn signal chimes are weird, seats are fine IMO (wife actually likes the CX-50 seats more than her CX-5). Seat belts, I don't understand. But chimes and such are software things that will likely be the same in all new Mazda designs, like it or not.

Now some folks have reported quality issues with the CX-50, but my car has been rock solid (knock wood).

I think the CX-5 is capable of a lot more but is hampered by the stock springs and tires which seem set up to appease a mass market but disappoint people who want tighter handling.
Yeah, well that's the trade off, right? If you firmed those things up on the CX-5, you'd probably improve the handling to that of the CX-50, and reduce the ride to that of the CX-50! :)

I agree there, but with the exception of the front end/grill.
The gen 2 grill has grown on me, but I still don't care for how the hood overhangs it and it still has a massive piece of chrome on it vs the Gen 1 which is not my thing. But hey, that's just me.

I'd like Mazda to go back to their Kodo design. Think they have lost the plot lately with their newer offerings with big plastic cladding and goofy lines. I'm not really a fan of the newer models like the CX-50, etc. because of that.

Back