Test drove an awd touring and a fwd manual sport today. My opinion.......

Nah, I only own an RX-8 (and a Civic) and I'm looking for something a little less stressful and more efficient, lol. Considering the CX-5, as I love the handling, but I dunno how to give up nearly 100 hp ;)

Have you looked at the Kia Sportage SX? I forget the power and price, but I think it's really fast...

or 2.0L turbo Escape... Yes, they are both much quicker than CX-5, not really fast (0-60 around 7 seconds), not especially economical either. Both SX and new Escape handle well.

or 2.0L turbo Escape... Yes, they are both much quicker than CX-5, not really fast (0-60 around 7 seconds), not especially economical either.

Hmm...you guys forgot the most important item on my list which is the transmission.

Hmm...you guys forgot the most important item on my list which is the transmission.

If you require a manual, true.

Otherwise the best manual mode (BMW-like complete w/throttleblipping downshifts) of the auto-trannys is found on the least powerful and most economical CX-5.

If you require a manual, true.

Otherwise the best manual mode (BMW-like complete w/throttleblipping downshifts) of the auto-trannys is found on the least powerful and most economical CX-5.

HAHA...you sound like a mazda sales guy. But I want H gate 3 pedal manual. (burnout)

HAHA...you sound like a mazda sales guy. But I want H gate 3 pedal manual. (burnout)

Good one, but the (2) salespeople never mentioned it, but I never expect them to be useful. The 3 pedal setup is a bit dated, I've had too many to count...

Good one, but the (2) salespeople never mentioned it, but I never expect them to be useful. The 3 pedal setup is a bit dated, I've had too many to count...

Yup, it's dated for sure but it's also the only transmission that you can take full control and know exactly which gear you are in every sec / every minute. Steering wheel / manual mode shifts (how do you know what gear you are in? constantly looking at dashboard?). This should apply to you since you've owned so many m/t. If no one saves the m/t soon the US will be full of lazy drivers (one hand on wheel, the other with a 32 oz soda). Not a good sign.

Yup, it's dated for sure but it's also the only transmission that you can take full control and know exactly which gear you are in every sec / every minute. Steering wheel / manual mode shifts (how do you know what gear you are in? constantly looking at dashboard?). This should apply to you since you've owned so many m/t. If no one saves the m/t soon the US will be full of lazy drivers (one hand on wheel, the other with a 32 oz soda). Not a good sign.

Been there done that, it's overrated. I've owned 3 stick shift Porsches and one stick shift Mustang GT for reference and too many Honda/Acura sticks to remember, it's still possible to be a poor driver if fat and lazy. Having a clutch pedal doesn't guarantee full control of anything.

How do I know what gear I'm in? I have ears, sense of feel, a tach, I'm mechanically astute and aware.

Last edited:
Been there done that, it's overrated. I've owned 3 stick shift Porsches and one stick shift Mustang GT for reference and too many Honda/Acura sticks to remember, it's still possible to be a poor driver if fat and lazy. Having a clutch pedal doesn't guarantee full control of anything.

How do I know what gear I'm in? I have ears, sense of feel, a tach, I'm mechanically astute.

To each his own of course. Ears/feels for which gears <---wow...that's beyond me...no offense but I am certainly not at that level.

To each his own of course. Ears/feels for which gears <---wow...that's beyond me...no offense but I am certainly not at that level.

Hey I'm on the same page as you and very much enjoy a stick too. If I buy another Porsche for weekend car, 100% sure it will be a stick, Porsche Tip trannys are not that impressive.

Hey I'm on the same page as you and very much enjoy a stick too. If I buy another Porsche for weekend car, 100% sure it will be a stick, Porsche tip trannys are not that impressive.

I've not driven porsche's before although a friend has a m/t 911 and invited me to try. Anyway, no automatics / dsg / pdk/ manual auto clutch dual whatever matic impresses me. You pedal to the medal and just wait for things to happen. Driving my own two auto slushbox puts me to sleep. (yawn) .My brother who currently owns a mustang gt m/t. All his previous cars were m/t and he refuses to ever buy an automatic.

I've not driven porsche's before although a friend has a m/t 911 and invited me to try. Anyway, no automatics / dsg / pdk/ manual auto clutch dual whatever matic impresses me. You pedal to the medal and just wait for things to happen. Driving my own two auto slushbox puts me to sleep. (yawn) .My brother who currently owns a mustang gt m/t. All his previous cars were m/t and he refuses to ever buy an automatic.

The key difference here is were are not talking about appropriate transmissions for cars like RX8, 911, GT, Boxster, Miata.

We are talking about the best tranny for a compact SUV used primarily as a family/dink, all-weather, commuter vehicle (not a sports car). The state of the art auto tranny is a pretty good choice for even experienced and demanding drivers.

Note: CX-5 auto tranny is not same as the old-tech slush-boxes in your older vehicles, the only thing worse than those dated slush-boxes are CVTs.

Last edited:
The key difference here is were are not talking about appropriate transmissions for cars like RX8, 911, GT, Boxster, Miata.

We are talking about the best tranny for a compact SUV used primarily as a family/dink, all-weather, commuter vehicle (not a sports car). The state of the art auto tranny is a pretty good choice for even experienced and demanding drivers.

Note: CX-5 auto tranny is not same as the old-tech slush-boxes in your older vehicles, the only thing worse than those dated slush-boxes are CVTs.

M/t set aside, ok for suv an auto is probably the best transmission but that may not apply to cx-5 because it's already under power. Then again other people's argument is mpg. Under power engine on a suv and throwing in auto and awd does not help. 200 extra pounds and slower transmission on a slow suv does not make too much sense. I like the cx-5 (I have to say that again) but hypothetically speaking 180 horses (Cr-v level) I would buy this...155 (still thinking). Obviously the more the better in my case.

M/t set aside, ok for suv an auto is probably the best transmission but that may not apply to cx-5 because it's already under power. Then again other people's argument is mpg. Under power engine on a suv and throwing in auto and awd does not help. 200 extra pounds and slower transmission on a slow suv does not make too much sense. I like the cx-5 (I have to say that again) but hypothetically speaking 180 horses (Cr-v level) I would buy this...155 (still thinking). Obviously the more the better in my case.

In looking at a recent Car and Driver article though, the odd thing is the CX-5 is only slowest in 0-60 compared to it's competitors. In most of the other acceleration statistics it placed midpack or at the very least tied for last with other CUV's... and yet those vehicles aren't picked on nearly as much as the CX-5. I sometimes think the CX-5's near sport sedan handling leads people to expect sports sedan acceleration. If the CX-5 wallowed and flopped around, I bet the power would seem more appropriate, lol.

In looking at a recent Car and Driver article though, the odd thing is the CX-5 is only slowest in 0-60 compared to it's competitors. In most of the other acceleration statistics it placed midpack or at the very least tied for last with other CUV's... and yet those vehicles aren't picked on nearly as much as the CX-5. I sometimes think the CX-5's near sport sedan handling leads people to expect sports sedan acceleration. If the CX-5 wallowed and flopped around, I bet the power would seem more appropriate, lol.

Yes, some consistent themes reported regarding acceleration of CX-5. And always the CX-5 has best fuel economy no matter who did the testing.

Good point, classic case of a very capable chassis that could handle much more power and still be good safe handler.

Early Porsche Boxster with 2.5L 200 hp was another example. So was the original Miata.

When you call yourself zoom zoom, has commercials saying "if you drive it we build it (or something like that), comes out with a car like handling suv, slogans like "sky activ", etc, people will attack you left and right...

I think if CRV takes 15 secs from 0-60, no one would give a crap nor would anyone care

I choose to believe the CX-5 is a wonderful tall-ish sport wagon not a SUV (or worse yet a CUV). Hence, need that damn third pedal! Plus I'm going to enjoy 36-37ish mpg driving between Vegas and Orange County next month.

I choose to believe the CX-5 is a wonderful tall-ish sport wagon not a SUV (or worse yet a CUV). Hence, need that damn third pedal! Plus I'm going to enjoy 36-37ish mpg driving between Vegas and Orange County next month.

Agreed, the choice of a manual is a good option for Mazda to offer, even if the resulting incremental sales are small.

Smoking highway mileage too. What speeds did you cruise at?

Oh - I am totally speculating. Vegas to SoCal is somewhat downhill. I've gotten 32 mpg in my Bimmer manual so I'm just guessing I can get 37 mpg based on what seem people get on here. :) I'm not getting my Sport Manual for a month.

Not trying to start a pissing match about auto vs manual. I've only driven the latter and sure the auto is good. To me though, the car will be a wagon not a truck. Don't plan on living anywhere it snows and my love of skiing has waned so don't need AWD. Have never been on a desert road where FWD wouldn't work.

All CX-5's get good gas mileage when compared to any compact SUV, no doubt the CX-5 fwd/manual tranny gets best mileage of all the configurations.

Agreed, even if it's tall like a CUV/SUV (and with the advantages), the handling is very car-like.

Interesting thread, just wanted to put in my 2 cents here as well. I picked up the M/T sport and have no regrets, the car I traded in was a 2009 Subaru STI, and I got a lot of laughs from my friends when I made this transition!

But here's what I learned: If you can only have one car to own as a daily driver, it made no sense to own a high horsepower sports car, even if it's a wagon - try commuting with a 17MPG car through traffic! especially where the engine requires premium gas!! Now, yes, you can take the car to the track on weekends, and I did that too, about a total of 5 times over the course of 2 years, driving 100 miles to Willow Springs raceway here in SoCal. The problem with a sports car/daily driver is that once on the track, you (or at least in my case) tend to drive it tenderly, because even though you're on a racetrack, in the back of your mind, you need to remind yourself that this same car will still need to make it's way back home at the end of the day, and then to work the next day! Even with run-offs, it's not fool proof! One of the track days, we witnessed an S2000 take a turn too aggressively and it ended up getting totaled, and unable to drive on it's own power.

One day, driving home from work, I realized that of the 50,000 miles on my STI, I estimated that only 0.1 % was used for it's intended engineering purpose as a sports car, and it just didn't make sense to me! So, to Mazda dealerships I went!

With the CX-5, I get the practicality of an SUV (and a pseudo-truck, with the roof rack), the ability to tow 2000 lbs (maybe a stripped down track-only miata soon?), awesome MPGs, and three pedals to keep my feet happy!

As a side note regarding the discussion of AT vs MT - personally, I think the appeal of an MT is not the ability to choose your own gears, it's more about the "analog-ness" of the clutch pedal, the art of modulation between "on and off" of each gear, and the satisfaction you get after perfecting a smooth heal-toe downshift (even if its during your daily commute! for the CX-5, you'll need to install some aftermarket pedals to get this right!). It just makes driving more interesting and interactive, where each trip is more event-like, and going from point A to B becomes A-C-B where C makes the drive noteworthy, rather than just a chore.

Sorry for the long post, I'm usually a forum-lurker, but decided to speak up in this thread!

Happy Shifting! =]

Back