temp gauge shows hot and engine wont start... help

newgen91

:
spicy orange 03 mazdaspeed protege
So my MSP recently stopped starting and when it did I noticed that when I go to turn it on the temp gauge say hot also I notice that I can't hear the fuel pump it will keep cranking but won't start I think it might be the main relay

I had a similar issue with my protege. The temp gauge would go to hot, the CEL light won't light up, the car keeps cranking when I turn the key but it won't start. I checked all my fuses and they were good. Mazda told me the PCM was dead. Next I plan on switching PCMs with a similar make and model and see what happens.

I think that's also a symptom of the main fuse/relay (the green one in the bay) gone bad

Check ur fuse panel by the clutch. I just went through the same problem. The cause was the o2 sensor wire got to hot and melted on the manifold causing a short

Any fix for this yet? My car is doing the same thing I was driving and it just shut down, temp gauge read at the H, but no excessive pressure in the rad when I took the cap off (gurgled a bit but should have sprayed if it really did overheat). I pulled off the relay as the post above said... can't tell if it's toast (nothing else to test in its place right now) but everything appeared to be intact. My O2 sensor though has 2 wires that were burnt a bit touching the manifold... I read this could cause a short in the ECU... how likely is this? I may try and get one from a wrecker's and test it, but is this a viable option?

I've checked fuses and they were OK. There is coolant in the reservoir and the rad. Have not checked thermostat but I don't know that a bad thermostat would cause the temp gauge to stick H (It's not stuck, but when I turn the car to accessories it jumps up to H, will crank but not fire up... if I push the gas while starting it will jitter a bit but still nothing).

Also tried to scan the car and the scanner we used did not appear to be working.

Check ur fuse panel by the clutch. I just went through the same problem. The cause was the o2 sensor wire got to hot and melted on the manifold causing a short

I had this problem last monday. It was my engine fuse inside the car. 10A

same thing happened to me, o2 sensor melted and one of the terminals inside the connector touched the manifold and blow a fuse inside the car. If you know your car isn't oveheating and the temp gauge pegs the H when you turn the key to the Accessory position and the car does nothing but turn over without cranking....more than likely a fuse.

Alright thanks. I'm gonna grab a couple spare fuses and go out to my car and see if one of the interior fuses is the problem

Thanks for the help, was definitely a fuse, I taped up the O2 and replaced the fuse and it started right up. But blew again down the road. Tried a higher amp fuse just to get it home (block away) but that blew too. Turns out when I got run into a ditch a couple months ago the bolt for one of my rad fans snapped and the fan kicked back and got stuck over part of the tranny. It pinched the wire to some sensor in the front (I think the MAF/MAP?). I pulled the fan back to where it's supposed to be and zap-strapped it and taped up the wires on that sensor and it fired right up and got me home. Gonna go over it tomorrow and make sure I've totally eliminated the problem but seems to be running great now.

Thanks for the help!

Back