taking out the stock sterio system

Jayjumper

:
2002 Mazda Protege5
Anyone knows how to remove the factory stereo system? me and my friend tried taking it out all night long last night but won't be able to do it. or are there any other thread shows u step by step how to take it out?

Last edited:
Anyone knows how to remove the factory stereo system? me and my friend tried taking it out all night long last night but won't be able to do it. or are there any other thread shows u step by step how to take it out?

Pretty easy

1. Take off the 2 plastic doohicky's off each side of the radio

2. Purchase 2 sets of DIY U shaped stereo remover tools. Looks like a U with little circles at the ends.

3. Put into the 4 holes on the side of the radio, pull the tools outward and yank.

Should be it.

i honestly think i used a coat hanger(wire) cut to about 8 inches. bent each piece is half and slightly bent the ends.....if you buy a new headunit it should havethe tools you need to pull the stock out

Pretty easy

1. Take off the 2 plastic doohicky's off each side of the radio

2. Purchase 2 sets of DIY U shaped stereo remover tools. Looks like a U with little circles at the ends.

3. Put into the 4 holes on the side of the radio, pull the tools outward and yank.

Should be it.

4 holes as in 4 little round holes? there's a longer hole on each side.. i saw people sticking in there instead. thanks guys

4 holes as in 4 little round holes? there's a longer hole on each side.. i saw people sticking in there instead. thanks guys

Well, there really is 2 small ones and one big one in the middle. You have to put the tools (both of them) in the big one first, then the little ones.

I can say from experience that getting the stocker out is a b****. I went thru two sets of removal tools and I dont know how many coat hangers, then finally after all that it just came out real easy, and dont know how. lol good luck

Good luck dude it's a pain in the ass! Don't get impatient and scratch up the trim like I did on my P5.

Good luck dude it's a pain in the ass! Don't get impatient and scratch up the trim like I did on my P5.

i already did make bunch of scratches lol but i finally took it out.. i ended up went get a set of car stereo removal kit.. but i can return them lol

Back