Taking her in for pinging, last chance for anyone with a similar problem?

Please please can anyone send me this TSB? I have a 2010 CX-9 with the exact same issue. When engine is cold I can hear the knocking under moderate load. When its at operating temperature, then the knocking goes away. I have also noticed that knocking is less when its raining or humidity is high (After rain).
I am going to the dealer tomorrow as my car is at 59K miles!

nfn2000 after really troubleshooting this issue, I determined that although a reflash of the computer seems to help a little, 95% of it is the fuel going into the tank. The CX-9 and 87 octane don't get along well. It works, but at a price. Your best sure fire method of keeping her happy is to rotate 89 octane in about every 2nd or third tank, and pour a can of Seafoam in the gas tank about every 5k miles. You will find your pinging will start to go away. Either do that, or get a different car, but other than that, there's nothing else to be done.

i haven't heard pinging in any car i've been in (driver or passenger) since... got to be mid 90's. (ironically enough, see link below for why)

i thought that was a problem that was long ago solved with modern electronics.

the engine was designed and tested for 87. sounds like you have an un-diagnosed issue.

http://www.cartalk.com/content/premium-vs-regular-1

S197GT those were my exact thoughts! I heard pinging on my 89 geo metro in college days when its tiny 3-cyl 60hp engine use to groan when going up freeway ramps. When I heard it again in my 270hp cx-9 engine I was like "that cant be engine pinging!"
Anyway, I did find that TSB thankfully. I had gone before to the dealer and he told me to leave the car overnight and come back in the morning and testdrive it with the mechanic. I don't have time for all that! He said the same thing today but then I put the TSB in front of his face and acted like a really squeaky wheel. He then agreed to do the re-flash and if it didn't solve the problem, I'd have to come back using the overnight thing. The reflash was done in about an hour (got it documented just because my odo reads 59K). Just came back from work after car cooled down in 39F temperature. No More Pinging! Yoohoo I can keep using 87octane! My car is 2010 cx-9 sport (no tow package). BTW, when it did ping before, I noticed that putting the gear in M used to make the pinging almost go away (even without high-RPM-ing). So that did point towards an ECU program issue. Second thing I noticed was that my fuel computer showed 19.5 mpg average (over 4 months). It used to show around 18.7. So my car was more fuel efficient when it was pinging. I reset the fuel comp today and hope it stays that way now:). PS: pinging used to almost go away in rainy weather so humidity definitely changed engine behavior.
thanks y'all.

Back