Tailgate to bumper gap

Maxfly

:
Mazda CX5 AWD 2.2 Diesel
Hi, new year from South Africa. Collected my new CX5 AWD diesel (soul red) just less than 2 weeks ago.

Tailgate opens and closes correctly but I only saw 2 days after collection that the gap between the tailgate and bumper is very small. Normal seems to be around 5-6 mm (0.2-0.25"). Mine is around 1-1.5mm (0.04") and slight rubbing of the paint had already occurred - could polish out the marks. The corner gaps are fine, the small gap is across the area in the vicinity of the latch.

The striker plate is already at the max adjustable position, the bumper itself does not seem to be adjustable so for now I have added a washer each side under the striker until I can get the car back to the dealer (has to go back in anycase to get the tow hitch fitted). The washers gave me around 2-2.5mm clearance so at least there is no chance of rubbing.

Is it a known problem on the CX5? I can confirm that I did a very thorough check to confirm that the vehicle is in fact new from factory in all respects, it has definitely not seen panel work!

If anyone has experience with this, can you advise how it can be corrected? The latch nor the tailgate mounting at the hinges do not seem to be adjustable. Any advise will be appreciated, I can work with my hands and would rather do it myself if there is an easy method.

I also have the airbag related deformations in the dashboard passenger side - called a 'lump' in another thread - this is of course purely cosmetic. Apart from these 2 issue is the build, fit and finish looks to be very good and it drives so well!

Found the problem. There are 3 brackets to locater the bumper under the tailgate area. The bumper was installed with the 'tongues' in the bumper cover located on top of and not into the slots in the 3 brackets.

By removing 2 screws on the bumper cover at the sides of the tailgate I could manage to pull the top of the bumper back far enough to locate the 'tongues' in to the slots - perfect fit and gap is now normal. Re-adjusted the striker and all is good now.

Either the bumper was incorrectly installed at the factory or it was removed for some reason, absolutely no indications of it having been re-sprayed. Will always remain a mystery, just glad it is corrected and any permament paint chafing damage was prevented.

So far very impressed with the diesel - engine is so powerful making for an effortless drive. Love the sporty way it drives and handles. My 2nd car is a 2004 Mini Cooper S Works so I am used and spoilt with driving responsive, sporty and well handling cars. CX stacks up surprisingly well against the Mini and it really does not feel like driving a diesel at all!

Glad you found the problem. I wish we had diesels available here, I would have definitely purchased one.

Back