synthetic oil change interval?

Hey guys, stupid question, but what intervals are you changing your oil if you run synthetic. I usually do every 5,000. Is that ok or should I be doing it more often? Thanks

5000 is plenty frequent.

you can even stretch it to 7500 with synthetic oil in it, if you feel adventurous ;)

I change my synthetic per the owner's manual, every 5,000 miles. Once I get out of warranty I plan on extending that interval...

Although I plan on turbo so maybe I'll keep it there.

im getting an msp and im curious about the warranty. You mention you change your oil every 5000 while its under warranty, which would imply you have to or you will void the warranty......but does this mean in order to keep the warranty you have to take your mazda back to the mazda dealership for an oil change every 5k??????

please say it aint so!

I change my oil every 3500 miles and yes I use sythetic. There are a few different variables that can come into play when trying to determine the best time to change your oil like weather (summer vs. winter), driving habits (Juan Pablo Montoya vs your 90yr old grandma). It's honsetly a personal preference and don't think that since you use synthetic that it makes it ok to stretch the time frame between oil changes. By doing so, you kind of negate the advantages of synthetic. On the occasions that I stretched my oil changes to 4000 miles with Mobil 1, the that came out of my engine was very, thin, very dark, and was also pretty low. This means that with my driving habits and the current weather, stretching the oil changes out to 4000 miles isn't a good idea. Just my .02 cents

slug420 said:
im getting an msp and im curious about the warranty. You mention you change your oil every 5000 while its under warranty, which would imply you have to or you will void the warranty......but does this mean in order to keep the warranty you have to take your mazda back to the mazda dealership for an oil change every 5k??????

please say it aint so!

Actually the Stealership will want you back every 3,000...I change my oil every 5,000 because that is what the maintenance schedule wants. It is just like a little preventative maintenance on my part so that if the motor fails or what not, they can't say they won't fix it under warranty because I didn't change my oil at the proper interval.

so you make it sound like they will try to get you in every 3k for an oil change to make a buck, but you change your own every 5k so they cant say s*** about oil changing voiding the warranty....

So this means you can change your own oil in your garage at home if you so chose? I just didnt know if mazda needed to do it themselves so they couldnt say "well we dont know if you have been changing it as you should have been"

My problem is, my dealer is 1.5 hours away from my house........so driving in there every oil change etc.....is decidedly less than convenient.....

slug420 said:
so you make it sound like they will try to get you in every 3k for an oil change to make a buck, but you change your own every 5k so they cant say s*** about oil changing voiding the warranty....

So this means you can change your own oil in your garage at home if you so chose? I just didnt know if mazda needed to do it themselves so they couldnt say "well we dont know if you have been changing it as you should have been"

My problem is, my dealer is 1.5 hours away from my house........so driving in there every oil change etc.....is decidedly less than convenient.....

Exactly...I log onto mymazda.com, and enter in everytime I do any maintenance on my car. It acutally works out kind of nice becuase I get friendly reminders in the mail from the Mazda dealer I bought the car from. At the same time, it can be rather annoying though.

I use valvoline syn power and change my oil every 1,500 miles and my filter every 5,000 I have that fram easy drain thing it takes me about 1 min but you must rember that I'm CRaaAaZzy!(freak)

what filter are you guys using for the oil change? genuine mazda ones or fram's from the auto-parts store? I guess I should check with the PO on which one he used and continue with that.

Actually 7500 isn't too far a stretch if you're in the middle spectrum of the use/abuse scale. The CX-7 actually has a schedule in the manual for 7500 mile intervals.

I wouldn't recommend it without synthetic oil, and like I said, overly hard, or relatively light use (short trips without a full warm-up) would call for a shorter interval.

The type of oil has everything to do with it. The reccomended maintnance schedule is only a "reccomendation". Synthetic oil last much longer, Royal Purple is suppose to last you 15,000Km. You should change your oil often, like every 5 - 8000. But even then. It's not the lubracation that is the problem, it's the fact that the oil collects lots of crap (dirt, deposits etc..) and also, the main thing, is that the additives in the oil that will loose it's affect if you drive it too long.

I often do 10 000km on mine between oil changes...

I've also worked as a oil changer and there is no need what so ever to change your oil every 3000 never mind every 1500. (you should actualy change the filter and not the oil if you're doing it every 1500)

JoeManNorth said:
The type of oil has everything to do with it. The reccomended maintnance schedule is only a "reccomendation". Synthetic oil last much longer, Royal Purple is suppose to last you 15,000Km. You should change your oil often, like every 5 - 8000. But even then. It's not the lubracation that is the problem, it's the fact that the oil collects lots of crap (dirt, deposits etc..) and also, the main thing, is that the additives in the oil that will loose it's affect if you drive it too long.

I often do 10 000km on mine between oil changes...

I've also worked as a oil changer and there is no need what so ever to change your oil every 3000 never mind every 1500. (you should actualy change the filter and not the oil if you're doing it every 1500)
There are many ideas on oil changes , everyone should do some research and make a choice. It is difficult to to debate right or wrong , be consistent and do what is best for your car. My Honda van just turned 191,000 miles and I change the oil every 3,000 miles that works for me . P5 gets synthetic every 3,000 its at 77,800. Everyone should do what works for them. :)

P5LawnMan said:
There are many ideas on oil changes , everyone should do some research and make a choice. It is difficult to to debate right or wrong , be consistent and do what is best for your car. My Honda van just turned 191,000 miles and I change the oil every 3,000 miles that works for me . P5 gets synthetic every 3,000 its at 77,800. Everyone should do what works for them. :)

That is very true. It also depends alot on how you drive like someone else had said.

AMSOIL for me every 15000km or 9300miles, I need 1 liter in between to top it up. Driving habits are the daily driver type for the most part.

Back