Swirl marks

In all the years I've been on detailing forums I have never once ran across a thread saying to stay away from IPA wipe downs. Granted I haven't gone looking for them but many a pro detailer will do an IPA wipe down after polishing before coating. I guess I should have clarified that I use a 15% IPA solution so it's not very strong. Its IPA mixed with distilled water, I wouldn't use straight IPA. It can be somewhat difficult to figure out the right concentration since not all IPAs are the same, some are 100% or 90% or 70% seems to be the most common. And come to think of it I don't recall spraying and wiping the headlights since I didn't polish them. If one is worried about the IPA there are panel wipe solutions that are sold that do the same thing, remove any remaining oils from the polish and totally clean the panels.

Also in that video the guy is using a Rotary polisher. I would consider that a quite a bit more advanced then a DA since if done wrong you can destroy the paint and it's very easy to induce halograms in the paint. Which look like this:

Horrendous001.jpg

The Idea is to get a panel to look like this:

HologramFree03.jpg

If used properly a rotary polisher can be much more effective and faster at removing defects then the DA's (standard DA's) There are some very nice DA's that are out now that claim the speed and correction ability of a rotary with the ease of use of a DA. I haven't dropped the $300-$500 on such machines such as the Flex forced drive DA which will always keep the pad spinning, and the Long throw DA's that a 15mm or 21mm orbit compared to the standard 8mm of something like the Porter Cable. I own a rotary but rarely do I bust it out. The time I used it was after respraying a hood panel at my uncles shop for my ford probe, it turned out with some pretty good orange peel, but I knew there was plenty of clear so I wet sanded the panel and buffed with the rotary, but then did a finish polish with the DA. Some pro's are able to get perfect finishing results with the rotary's but I prefer the finishing of a DA.

Last edited:
$2000 to plastic wrap a car? Stoopid waste of perfectly eligible cash.

I don't even like clear bras, sheer bras are where it's at (and a Google search will confirm)! A decent one is only $75 or so.
Nothing wrong with a sheer bra, we can agree.

As to a clear bra being a waste...you drive a base CX-5. You make/made 7 figures a year. I wouldn't think there was much that you DIDN'T find a waste of money.

I have them too. Car wash? Either way, it's a fact of life. The sooner you accept that, the less heartburn it will cause; my Bimmer has them as well. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have them too. Car wash? Either way, it's a fact of life. The sooner you accept that, the less heartburn it will cause; my Bimmer has them as well. [emoji106]

THIS! It's a CUV. Who cares? It's part of the joy of owning a utility vehicle. You don't have to get all OCD about it. I remember the stress of owning a nice car and "don't follow too close" and "gotta wash the brake dust off" and blah blah blah that plagued my sense of OCD.

THIS! It's a CUV. Who cares? It's part of the joy of owning a utility vehicle. You don't have to get all OCD about it. I remember the stress of owning a nice car and "don't follow too close" and "gotta wash the brake dust off" and blah blah blah that plagued my sense of OCD.

Matte black rims are VERY low maintenance. I love them.

Back