Swapping a 2009 Mazda3 2.0L engine for a 2012 2.0L possible?

I would like to know, can I swap a 2009 Mazda3 2.0L engine for a 2012 2.0L unit...If so, what problems will I run into..?

Side note here...I saw you posted a duplicate thread in the Lounge which has been removed (Site Rules). To help you with this original thread, I've made your title more descriptive.

As for the swap in question, I don't have a Mazda3 or personal experience with such a swap but I did find this video of a 2005 Mazda3 swap that might help to give you some idea of what's involved...

It appears that the second generation Mazda3 2.0L is a carry-over from the first generation Mazda3...BUT...The 2012 Mazda3 received an update including a SkyActiv-G 2.0-liter.

I'm no expert but if the 2012 2.0L engine you have in mind is a SkyActiv version, that would presumably make such a swap a lot more complicated.

If the 2012 2.0L engine is not SkyActiv then it may be possible (without major complications) but again I'm no expert...Hopefully someone a lot more familiar with Mazda3 swaps can chime in here!

Ps...The smoothest path (if you're just looking to replace the engine) I would think is to find the exact same type of engine (same year, model etc) in good condition and use that for the swap.

Upvote 0
Side note here...I saw you posted a duplicate thread in the Lounge which has been removed (Site Rules). To help you with this original thread, I've made your title more descriptive.

As for the swap in question, I don't have a Mazda3 or personal experience with such a swap but I did find this video of a 2005 Mazda3 swap that might help to give you some idea of what's involved...

It appears that the second generation Mazda3 2.0L is a carry-over from the first generation Mazda3...BUT...The 2012 Mazda3 received an update including a SkyActiv-G 2.0-liter.

I'm no expert but if the 2012 2.0L engine you have in mind is a SkyActiv version, that would presumably make such a swap a lot more complicated.

If the 2012 2.0L engine is not SkyActiv then it may be possible (without major complications) but again I'm no expert...Hopefully someone a lot more familiar with Mazda3 swaps can chime in here!

Ps...The smoothest path (if you're just looking to replace the engine) I would think is to find the exact same type of engine (same year, model etc) in good condition and use that for the swap.
Yes on the swap, finding the same engine, same year and same model would be a great but it's hard to do...This 2012 has got 92,000 miles on it and for $350 bucks that's going to be hard to find something like that but I appreciate that Antoine...We never did get a chance to talk but I hope everything's going well for you and your family and I'm sure we'll be talking some more...

Upvote 0
Yes on the swap, finding the same engine, same year and same model would be a great but it's hard to do...This 2012 has got 92,000 miles on it and for $350 bucks that's going to be hard to find something like that but I appreciate that Antoine...We never did get a chance to talk but I hope everything's going well for you and your family and I'm sure we'll be talking some more...
Good point...In any case, I wish you the best of luck and please do keep us updated if possible on what you end up doing...Thanks for the well wishes and the same to you and yours...

Upvote 1
Back