Suspension question

Ty07allstar

:
03 Protege ES
I have a 2003 Protege ES and I am looking at getting new struts and springs all around come spring time. I would like the car to look evenly dropped all around but would also like it to perform well during autocross. I am also leaning towards something that is adjustable because in the winter the roads can be bad so I would like to raise it up a bit in the winter and lower it down for the spring and summer. What would be the best combination of strut/spring or should I go with coilovers? I am not looking to spend tons of money but want to spend enough to make it worth the upgrade. I was looking at the Tokico HP/Illumina, not sure, struts with H&R springs or Eibach springs. Or the Tokico HP struts with the Groundcontrol coliover sleeves so I could adjust the height. I really don't know what to get so let me hear your opinions. Thanks

I would really recommend going with BC or Yellowspeed coil-overs they are decently priced, perform well in AutoX and they have the full adjustable.

I would really recommend going with BC or Yellowspeed coil-overs they are decently priced, perform well in AutoX and they have the full adjustable.

I would love to get the coilovers but I really don't want to spend $1000. I really like the Illuminas but am not sure about what springs to get. I like the H&R's but think that they might be a little too stiff. Any other suggestions?

i used the racingbeat, they were pretty pliable and handled decently. I'm told the tein S-techs ride is comfortable as well.

the teins are not comfortable, trust me. i reccomend just getting the illuminas and run H&r or tein springs. if you get illuminas you will be able to adjust them to make them stiff for the track or soft for the street

after about 1 year my Tokico blues (HPK247) started leaking on the rear shocks. Looking into my warranty terms, because, having not raced the car at all, I think it's pretty ridiculous that they'd be in that bad of shape after 14 months. If I could go back and do it over, I wouldn't have bought Tokicos . . .

Now have KW variant 2s and love 'em. Just as firm (without being harsh) as the Tokicos. Now, are they worth nearly 3x the price of Tokico's? Well, for me they are (car is a daily driver). Of course if KW v2s are out of your price range, then it's a moot point.

Not only that, if you want to Lower/Raise the vehicle, you HAVE to have coil-overs. i've yet to hear of spring/strut combo that lets you raise the vehicle...

Back