suspension knock from front right strut

steve1103

:
2001 mazda sp20
hey guys

this is my first post on here and i need some advice i have a knock coming from my front drivers side strut and still cant figure out or what it is or where it is coming from i have pulled the strut out dismantled it then put it all back together but still have the noise.has anyone had this problem before i have ordered new sway bar links and waiting for them to arrive to install to see if it fixes the problem.any info would be great.cheers steve

The most common way I have found a blown shock is by a thumping noise when hitting rough road or gravel. Or if you push on the hood and the car bounces back more then once most likely the strut is bad. Or as you said the sway bar endlink could be the culprit. I had a clunking kind of noise in my front driver side and found it to be the endlink pulled apart. Good luck

thanks for that.i'll see what happens when i replace them.the shock seems to be in good condition so could eliminate that from the equation.thanks

I replaced the struts on my fiance's Civic and the right front started making a knocking sound. The nut on the top of the shaft of the strut was loose. I think the springs had settled or something once all the weight of the car was on there. I just tightened them (driver's side was loose, too, just wasn't making a noise yet) and the noise went away. Might check that if you haven't yet.

Back