Surface Rust on CX-9 Tailgate

jackert

:
2008 CX9
The vehicle is just over 6 months old and I've noticed rust pitting on the tailgate. We've had a hellish winter here in Eastern Ontario, losts of salt on the road, but the CX gets a wash at least once a week.

Any other owners have this problem?

I also discovered rust on my CX9 a couple of weeks ago, just above the license plate, the color matched/chrome insert that fits into the tailgate. Rust is starting in the joint area between the insert and the tailgate at several locations. I took it to the dealer they took some photos and said that they would contact Mazda for repair process. They contacted me about a week later and then we set up an appointment for repairs at their body shop tomorrow.

I have had surface rust on my VW and CX-9. It happens in some vehicles due to the amount of metals in their paint. The best way to get rid of it is catch it early when you are washing and get some buffing paste. Uses some with a hand cloth to rub out the rust and wipe off.

I have the white CX-9 and have noticed the same problem with a large rust spot above the license plate.. upon closer inspection I noticed what appears like tiny rust specs all over the tailgate. Has anyone else had these issues? The dealer said they would fix the rust (the large, obvious portion), but the small flecks would need to go to the shop a get buffed out for $200 as they say I needed to wash my car more often.. yeah right. I'm going to ask them to show me the car wash fequency in the owners manual.

Buy a clay bar kit and do the whole car. It'll cost you less than $20 and an hour's work. If you haven't done this before, it's easy. Claying the car pulls the little specks out of the paint.

All new cars come with contaminants more or less embedded in the surface of the paint. One big culprit is nasty dust picked up from railroad cars on the ride from the port. Basically, the particles get stuck in the clearcoat and do not come off with washing, no matter how frequent.

I would be very reluctant to let just anyone buff out a brand new car's paint on the recommendation of a stealer.

FWIW, I think the CX-9 paint job is not very good and very thin. The slightest touch scratches it. You just don't get a good paint job anymore in any car under $50k.

+1 on claying

but if your doing it right, and its your first time doing it, clayings gonna take longer than an hour...

Back