Summer tire reccomendation

daan

:
06 "5"
I have dedicated winter tires for my 06, the previous set of summer tires (Dunlop 8000) are down to the cords, and since it's been, like, four years since I bought those, none of the tires I was familiar with are still around. Well, the crummy ones I can get at my local Walmart are, but I'm not putting those on...
I look over at Tirerack, they have 708970987 choices and the reviews all seem to be either "Best tire ever!" followed by "Don't buy these ever, they stink!" No clear consensus there.
I should probably say here that I'm running 16" wheels, new and/or larger wheels are NOT in the budget. I have 205/55/16s now and they seem about one size narrower than what would fit on the wheels. But I know a "205" of one brand may actually be bigger than another 205... anyway. I drive 40 or so miles a day, mixed in 1/3rds rural freeway, rural back-roads and city. I'm not autocrossing, but don't wanna put "grandpa car" tires on and lose some of what makes the 5 so fun to drive. Man I sound indecisive...

So what tires are you guys running? What do you like? What would you stay away from? Thank you!

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...YR6S04PP&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

Run these on the S2000 right now- they're on special in this size for $106 each with a $70 rebate on top. Damn good deal. This is one of the best "max performance" category tires you can get. Really awesome grip and feedback in the dry, good sidewall compliance without being squishy (after break-in). Really good in the wet- can easily run well above the speed limit in downpours with no issues, and that's 255 section tires all around on a car 600 pounds lighter than the 5.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...ehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes&tab=Specs

These might not be bad either, Continental DW 225/50-16 @ $105 each. Same overall diameter but wider. Continental tends to run really high in the ratings for the DW and DWS lines of tires. I've never bought a set myself, but the feedback I hear from a few friends that have actually run them is really positive. I've never driven them myself. Note that the 225/50 will bulge a bit more on the 16x6.5 wheel compared to the 205/55, but it's still within allowable wheel width. Between these two I'd pick the S04.

I'd go with the S04. That is a really good deal. To bad I just got some pilot sport sp3 would have preferred the stones.

Pilot Sports are pretty nice too. I HAVE been through quite a few sets of S03s though, so when S04 time came around it was a no brainer. My 5 probably won't ever get a set though.

I have a new set of BF good rich g-force sport comp 2, waiting for the warmer weather to arrive here in Canada. I'll be replacing the rear shocks at the same time as well. I'm looking forward to the refresh of tires and suspension.

I'm running 215/50-R17 Cooper RS3-A's. Haven't had them long, only have about 20K km with lots of tread left, but they are quiet. My previous set of tires were 215/50-R17's; no problems with that size at all. Look way better than the stock 205's.

I checked out all the ones you guys reccomended, I called Tire Rack (where I get all my tires) and the guy there reccomended these (Dunlop Direzza DZ102) 215-50-16 size. The D-8000's I had before were 205-55's, and looked narrower than the wheels so these new ones look properly sized now. They're quiet, grip REALLY well, and cost less than any of the other ones I was looking at. Oh yeah, I had them put on and then we had a couple weeks of unseasonably cold weather (including freezing rain and some light snow!) and these were fine. I was expecting ice-skate levels of grip (like when I had my Miata with Proxes'es, got caught in an early snowstorm and thought I was gonna DIIIIIE) but these really did OK. It's been almost 1K miles and they are great. Now I just gotta rotate them so I don't cord the back ones from the goofy camber issue...

I second the cooper RS3-As. I installed them on my summer wheels in 215/50/17 and they are great. Smooth, quiet and good rain traction.

Back