Stuck in the snow? Don't do this!

I live near a beach you can drive on. Several times each year, someone will get stuck in the sand and continue to spin the tires and dig in deeper until the vehicle catches fire. It’s usually the transmission oil that overheats and ignites.

They make special emergency tools that fit in the glove box that can shatter windows and cut seat belts. Not a bad idea. And having a small fire extinguisher in a car can be the difference between easily extinguishing a minor electrical or fuel-related fire versus having your car burn to the ground.

- Mark

The story is missing some key information. Was he keeping it floored, or cycling it. Maybe he was jammed against the accelerator or something and wasn't revving it intentionally.

edit: When I posted, it had been a while since I'd read the story. It sounds like the driver repeatedly revved it. I don't want to speak ill of the dead, … tragic, so I'll limit my commentary.

Last edited:
This scares me. This week with the 12 inches of snow we got in the northeast, I also got stuck on a uphill road in a bank of snow. Thankfully with a bit of shoveling around the wheels with most traction, I was able to get the car out but I did rev it up to 5k a bit but only for a few seconds before letting off the gas to let the engine/transmission and drivetrain cool down.

Sad story indeed.

Unfortunately, this type of situation is all too common in areas that normally don't get heavy snow.
Drivers aren't accustomed to it, no-one has snow tires, and almost no-one knows what to do (and more importantly, what not to do) when they get stuck in a snow bank.
Revving the engine and spinning the wheels is the last thing you should be doing when stuck in the snow.
It's interesting to note that here in snowy Ottawa, we never get stories like this of people getting into a jam like this guy did.
On a personal note, I'm a senior now, and I can honestly say I haven't gotten stuck in the snow in about 40 plus years. Experience counts for a lot in these conditions.
It's a sad story that this gentleman lost his life, but it was entirely avoidable.

Couldn’t agree more. With age comes experience and wisdom. Not belittling the youngsters, but thankful to have survived most of life’s lessons “relatively” unscathed. Driving on ice/snow is, if not at the top of my list, it’s pretty close.

Unfortunately, this type of situation is all too common in areas that normally don't get heavy snow.
Drivers aren't accustomed to it, no-one has snow tires, and almost no-one knows what to do (and more importantly, what not to do) when they get stuck in a snow bank.
I agree with almost everything except that Northern NJ gets a lot of heavy snow. Down here in AC area (whole different country! I’m from Northern Jersey originally) we get a fraction of what they see up north.

If the driver was local for any number of years, they should be accustomed to driving in inclement winter weather.

What ever happened to a shovel and bag of cat litter in the trunk?

Revving the engine and spinning the wheels is the last thing you should be doing when stuck in the snow.
It's interesting to note that here in snowy Ottawa, we never get stories like this of people getting into a jam like this guy did.
On a personal note, I'm a senior now, and I can honestly say I haven't gotten stuck in the snow in about 40 plus years. Experience counts for a lot in these conditions.
It's a sad story that this gentleman lost his life, but it was entirely avoidable.
You were more tactful than I in describing this. I'm an engineer, and often forget that not everybody understands, or even thinks about, how devices work when they are using them. When driving in snow the tach should never reach even 3000 RPM.

You make a very good point. Many people don't realize that with an 'open ' differential (non- posi traction) that if one wheel is stationary then the other is spinning at twice the speedometer reading. Excessive wheel speed has known to cause failure due to lubrication breakdown due to localized overheating.

You were more tactful than I in describing this. I'm an engineer, and often forget that not everybody understands, or even thinks about, how devices work when they are using them. When driving in snow the tach should never reach even 3000 RPM.
What if we’re out in the snow just trying to have some fun in a open field with traction control off?

Around here it seems that even the people who should know better and should know how to drive in the snow seem to forget how until after the first few snowfalls.

As for driving in the snow, everyone is aware of 2nd Gear Fixed Mode, right?
When the shift lever is tapped back (
index.85.gif
) while the vehicle is stopped or driven at about 9.3 km/h (5.7 mph) or less, the transaxle is set in the second gear fixed mode. The gear is fixed in second while in this mode for easier starting and driving on slippery roads. If the shift lever is tapped back (
index.86.gif
) or forward (
index.87.gif
) while in the second gear fixed mode, the mode will be canceled.

Well I may not have the age, but I do have the experience from growing up 9k feet up in Colorado Rockies. You better believe I had to learn how to drive properly in the snow and what to do and what not to do when stuck. Honestly, it's not hard. I think people who just aren't used to it panic a bit.

Quick personal story that helped me immensely in my youth:
My first job was with Bell Canada (the phone Company).
They took safety seriously, and every new employee had to take a two day winter driving course.
We have a huge lake in the middle of town (Ottawa), and every winter they'd clear the snow off and we'd go out and drive on it. Two days of ripping around in a Company van on a frozen lake.
No 4wd, no anti lock brakes. You learned quickly.
It was fun, and it has served me well all these many years later.

Quick personal story that helped me immensely in my youth:
My first job was with Bell Canada (the phone Company).
They took safety seriously, and every new employee had to take a two day winter driving course.
We have a huge lake in the middle of town (Ottawa), and every winter they'd clear the snow off and we'd go out and drive on it. Two days of ripping around in a Company van on a frozen lake.
No 4wd, no anti lock brakes. You learned quickly.
It was fun, and it has served me well all these many years later.

Sounds fun and educational.
I'm a self taught winter driver (like most people).
I've made a few mistakes, nothing dramatic, and learned from them.

Even just driving in an empty, snow covered parking lot by yourself, you can learn a lot.

Sounds fun and educational.
I'm a self taught winter driver (like most people).
I've made a few mistakes, nothing dramatic, and learned from them.

Even just driving in an empty, snow covered parking lot by yourself, you can learn a lot.
Yeah, much of driving in snow or ice isn't intuitive to most folks, and I don't claim to be an expert.

It took me a couple of seasons to get the hang of getting out of our uphill driveway when its snowy or icy. With my front wheel drive Acura sedan, I learned that when I just couldn't quite make it, I could get out by reversing up the hill, so more weight was on the drive wheels.

But often it was a dance of gaining a just enough momentum when there was traction, and keeping wheel spin down between the patches of better traction.

To me it sounds like the driver did not have all his mental faculties. All he had to do was open the door and get out when he saw smoke.
Back in the day when we would find a large parking lot and drive our rear wheel drive cars around and get the back loose. I learned fast that sometimes one can not turn the steering wheel fast enough to keep the back of the car in the back.

Taking your car to an empty snow covered parking lot can be great fun! Not only that but it can be a great learning experience. I would recommend this to anyone who drives in the snow.

Bad thing about the CX-5 and the e-parking brake. No way to grab a handful of parking brake and slide the azz end around. I loved doing that! The only car that I own that will still do that is my MX-5 and that car never gets driven in bad weather.

EDIT

Wanted to revise my statement. I still have a pickup truck that I can lock up the rear wheels on and slide the rear end around in the snow. I only did this once since it's the type of parking brake that you use your foot to press in and it locks in the process. The brake release must be held so that you can let off on the p brake. Which means that only one hand will be on the steering wheel. Not a good thing. That's why I've only done this once.

Last edited:
Taking your car to an empty snow covered parking lot can be great fun! Not only that but it can be a great learning experience. I would recommend this to anyone who drives in the snow.

Bad thing about the CX-5 and the e-parking brake. No way to grab a handful of parking brake and slide the azz end around. I loved doing that! The only car that I own that will still do that is my MX-5 and that car never gets driven in bad weather.

Funny you mention the e-brake. That was one of the mistakes I made.
Driving down an empty road at about 20mph and yanked the e-brake handle in my mom's old Camry.
The car's back end shot sideways so I naturally move the e-brake hand back to the steering wheel to compensate. Well, I didn't release the e-brake so it's still locked (rear wheels stopped) I'm sawing the steering wheel back and forth to keep the car going straight. In the end, I did a 180 spin and came to a stop in the middle of the road. No damage or injuries (other than pride). Luckily no one was around.

Back