Strange clunking noise

brentmc79

My wife has an 06 Mazda5 and recently its started making this weird clunking noise when she drives around, especially over bumps and whatnot. It sounds like its some sort of loose suspension component, but everything seems to be in order. I jacked it up and checked everything out and nothing appeared loose. I also had a similar problem a while back with my Protege5 and it turned out that the strut mount was loose, so I tightened it down and everything was fine. That doesn't seem to be the case with the Mazda5.

Does anybody have any suggestions as to what it might be?

Also, I'm thinking of just sending her to the dealership, but we no longer live near the dealer that we bought the car from. I'm concerned that they'll give me a hard time about the warranty if its not the original dealer. Do you guys think this will be a problem, and if so, what can I do about it?

Thanks.

I had this same problem during the first 2 months. Culprit :
1.Replace suspension bushings (polyurethane bushings scraping metal causing the squeeking/groaning sound. and add lubrication.
2.Replaced blown rear shocks (left rear shocks are shot) clanking noise

After doing these no more noise. Lets see this time around so far with yesterdays winter storm still no noise.

Try also to see if you have loose tools in the spare tire area or the jack area.

Last edited:
I posted this on another forum, this should fix your problem.

"About a month ago, I had posted saying that I was hearing an occasional "knock" or "pop" coming from the right front suspension area. Well...after much nagging to the dealer they performed the front sway bar bushing bulletin with the most updated part (#CC29-34-156C) and voila! two weeks later after fix and no more noise and even the steering feels a lot more precise. Freakin dealers, why does one have to go to the extent to nagging them so much to do something that it is under warranty and there's a bulletin for!!! OH! I know because techs want the gravy jobs rather then the lower paying warranty work. Gee good grief! Nonetheless my MZ5 is fixed and feels great."

Well, I took it to the dealership and it turned out to be a problem with the steering system. I'm not sure exactly what, but fortunately it was covered by the warranty, so no cost to me, thankfully.

Well, I took it to the dealership and it turned out to be a problem with the steering system. I'm not sure exactly what, but fortunately it was covered by the warranty, so no cost to me, thankfully.

Good to know. Would it be possible to get what's in the work order from the dealer you got (i.e. parts used?)

Thanks!

Back