Stock Protege Engine in Mazdaspeed Protege

New to the forum, I've had a stock protege for a while now, fresh rebuild on engine. Just found a Mazdaspeed Protege that runs bad, I can pick it up for $300. My current protege is the base model, crank windows, boring light grey interior, no tachometer, minimal features. Anyway I'm wondering how much work it will be to take my engine and swap it over to the other one. From what I understand, internally they are the same engine, the mazdaspeed just has a turbo on it. Is this true? If so, I assume the swap would be pretty easy, and then I've got myself a faster car with a nicer interior, and a clean title, (my current is a rebuilt/restored title), all for relatively cheap. Both cars are 2003, both 5 speed manual. My biggest concern, assuming the engine will bolt up to everything correctly, is piston ring gap. I didn't do the engine rebuild, but I assume the ring gap was set to stock specs for a naturally aspirated. Will I need to pull the engine back apart and widen the gap? Or will it be ok, as it's not an incredibly high boost application? Also, are the transmissions the same? I've been told that the protege has a weak transmission, so I thought maybe the Speed has a more heavy duty trans. if they are the same, I will transfer mine over with the engine, since it has new fluid in it, and i know it shifts well. if they are different, I guess ill be keeping the Speed trans in the Speed. Any info helps, thanks.

Last edited:
there is a lot of info on this forum regarding this "swap"..

it's easy, especially if you're doing engine and trans at the same time. The transmissions are identical except that the msp has an LSD. The engines are identical(as long as we are talking 2.0-2.0) except for the turbo, windage tray, and spark plugs(gap is different). You will need the msp ecu as well.

regarding boost- don't go past 7psi without supporting mods- FMIC, intake, exhaust/dp.

^^ Dpwhitehead is right. there is only a few differences between the two. You may want to check stock VS MSP compression ratios as well. I'm not sure about the rings... This forum site has everything and all the info you will need. Try using the search at the top to find answers before posting questions or get ready to constantly hear "search for it" from others...

I assume you are putting the stock motor/trans into the MSP...? How's the MSP's body, paint and over all quality compared to the stock???? For $300 I wouldn't expect it to be mint condition.
If the MSP is in terrible shape just take the MSP parts off and put on your stock car.{ worth considering} however you will loose the MSP VIN #

Good luck!

For the most part, the blocks are the same. If you're going to take your engine and drop it in (best idea) you'll need to add the oil cooler, and turbo parts to it. The MSPs all had ABS and they use the wheel speed sensors for vehicle speed/speedo, whereas regular proteges used a gear on the diff to drive a speed sensor. If the MSP transmission is good, then that will save some work.

Lots of information on the forums, you'll just have to dig deeper. But if you have the MSP as a parts car this is definitely a feasible swap.

^^ Dpwhitehead is right. there is only a few differences between the two. You may want to check stock VS MSP compression ratios as well. I'm not sure about the rings... This forum site has everything and all the info you will need. Try using the search at the top to find answers before posting questions or get ready to constantly hear "search for it" from others...

I assume you are putting the stock motor/trans into the MSP...? How's the MSP's body, paint and over all quality compared to the stock???? For $300 I wouldn't expect it to be mint condition.
If the MSP is in terrible shape just take the MSP parts off and put on your stock car.{ worth considering} however you will loose the MSP VIN #

Good luck!

I ended up getting it for $200. its not in bad shape physically, no rust, hood needs repainted, few little dents, interior is decent. the big problem is the engine. I'm trying to decide if i want to swap my protege transmission over with the engine, or keep the msp trans. looks like the only difference is the limited slip, but i've read that that can be a problem. i'm in college and have way limited money, so if the lsd is gonna put my car out, ill swap the transmissions too. The reasons I want to use the msp rather than swapping the msp parts over are that my protege has a rebuilt/restored title, also it is the base with crank windows and no power anything, so the msp is a bit of an upgrade on top of just performance.

I ended up getting it for $200. its not in bad shape physically, no rust, hood needs repainted, few little dents, interior is decent. the big problem is the engine. I'm trying to decide if i want to swap my protege transmission over with the engine, or keep the msp trans. looks like the only difference is the limited slip, but i've read that that can be a problem. i'm in college and have way limited money, so if the lsd is gonna put my car out, ill swap the transmissions too. The reasons I want to use the msp rather than swapping the msp parts over are that my protege has a rebuilt/restored title, also it is the base with crank windows and no power anything, so the msp is a bit of an upgrade on top of just performance.

That's a steal, good job! Some LSDs have failed over the years(not likely on stock power), but the LSD really makes the car batter. Definitely use the MSP trans and clutch if you can, and stock MSP axles are beefier than regular protege ones too.

your insurance will also be more for a msp.

That's a steal, good job! Some LSDs have failed over the years(not likely on stock power), but the LSD really makes the car batter. Definitely use the MSP trans and clutch if you can, and stock MSP axles are beefier than regular protege ones too.

this^^^

Back