starting issue

Tzar177

Contributor
Well I have been battling this for over a year now. Intermittently, my car will not start. It just clicks under the dash and under the hood. It will take several times of turning the key back n forth to start. I replaced the starter with a new one last fall but that did not fix. I've replaced the battery with no dice. I checked the resistance in the wires going to the starter and they were well within limits. Theres no corrosion as battery is brand new and battery cables and terminals are fairly new as well. Ground cables are good too. What can I check next or what parts can I start replacing that could contribute to this problem?

I had the same problem. it turned out to be that alarm disable button under the dash. I was sure it was a bad starter solenoid, but once the new starter was in it was the same deal. pressed one little button under the dash, and she started right up.

(edit: unless of course the MP3 doesnt have an alarm, then idk)

Alarm reset, hold for 10ish seconds. Then try to start. I've been having that issue for years now. Last month even holding the button didn't work, so I unplugged the yellow sensor for the alarm and it fired right up. Doors didn't lock unless I did it manually but now I have it back in and it start up normal. Kinda annoying. Stock alarm sucks.

The alarm won't let the car even attempt to crank so I wouldn't waste time checking the alarm if you hear it click. Could be corrosion inside the cables but I'm betting it's the battery or a loose connection. Possibly alt but less likely.

I don't have factory alarm. I have a viper one. I tried pushing the kill starter button and that did not help. I also cut those wires and spliced them together incase there was something wrong with it. Still no dice. My problem exist whether I have it in gear or neutral. Does replacing the ignition switch involve using a new key? I thought the ignition switch was somewhere up under the dash?

Back