Start Button Yellow

Pitter

Pitter
Contributor
:
2020 CX-5 Signature Azul Metalico
When the start button is yellow, can you operate the radio without running the battery down?

No matter what color the start button is the radio will eventually run the battery down.

And the radio will drain a fully charged battery in a little over 2 hours. It tries to prevent this by shutting off every twenty minutes or so but if you keep turning it back on...and yeah, I learned that the hard way.

When the start button is yellow, can you operate the radio without running the battery down?
Did you think that somehow the color of the start button would protect the battery?

In days of old there was an ignition switch position ACC that allowed radio use for a period of time without the same draw on the battery that would occur with the ignition set to "on" prior to cranking. I was wondering if perhaps the start button on the CX-5 illuminated yellow would be similar. I have driven American, European and Japanese cars and trucks for sixty years. I have at least a little experience with ignition systems used on vehicles during those years.

In days of old there was an ignition switch position ACC that allowed radio use for a period of time without the same draw on the battery that would occur with the ignition set to "on" prior to cranking. I was wondering if perhaps the start button on the CX-5 illuminated yellow would be similar. I have driven American, European and Japanese cars and trucks for sixty years. I have at least a little experience with ignition systems used on vehicles during those years.
One push is ACC, two pushes is ON, a third push is OFF.
So just push once and only the radio will work, when ON, but engine not running, electric windows and so on will work but as you know this will draw more power than just ACC.
So basically like the old ignition with a key :)

No matter what color the start button is the radio will eventually run the battery down.
Come on now. I think we all knew that he meant the indicator light on the start button being yellow, not the actual physical button being yellow.
Personally, I think it leans more towards orange, but at the end of the day, does it really matter what colour it is?

One push is ACC, two pushes is ON, a third push is OFF.
So just push once and only the radio will work, when ON, but engine not running, electric windows and so on will work but as you know this will draw more power than just ACC.
So basically like the old ignition with a key :)
One push on “Start” button without the foot on the brake pedal to get to the ACC mode. Or the engine will get started. ;)

The rule of thumb is if your radio is on without all warning lights in the instrument cluster, you’re in ACC mode.

And the radio will drain a fully charged battery in a little over 2 hours. It tries to prevent this by shutting off every twenty minutes or so but if you keep turning it back on...and yeah, I learned that the hard way.
The radio, or the accessary mode, will be off automatically in about 30 minutes. From my experience, I listened to the radio (USB stick) for more than 2 hours many times and I’ve never drained my factory battery out. Started the engine afterwards without any sign of weak battery.

Last edited:
One push on “Start” button without the foot on the brake pedal to get to the ACC mode. Or the engine will get started. ;)

The rule of thumb is if your radio is on without all warning lights in the instrument cluster, you’re in ACC mode.
Ah, yes...good catch I completely forgot to mention that 🙂

I went out to see if I could turn my start button yellow. No dice. There are only orange and green LED's on the US version. Green means press the brake and start. Orange means you're in ACCY mode, which is the same as turning a physical key backwards in the old days. Does the South American version have another option that turns the LED yellow, or did you mean orange?

This has been gone over before but I'll say it again here for your benefit.

While the CX is still running and the gear selector is in Park. While holding the shifter button in, press the Start button to turn off the car. The Start button will turn orange and the car will be in ACC mode. It will remain in that mode for a number of minutes, 15 I believe, maybe 20?

If you turn the car off without putting the gear selector in Park it will also remain in ACC mode and, in my experience, it will remain in ACC until something is done to take it out of that mode. In other words, it'll run down the battery if left that way.

This has been gone over before but I'll say it again here for your benefit.

While the CX is still running and the gear selector is in Park. While holding the shifter button in, press the Start button to turn off the car. The Start button will turn orange and the car will be in ACC mode. It will remain in that mode for a number of minutes, 15 I believe, maybe 20?

If you turn the car off without putting the gear selector in Park it will also remain in ACC mode and, in my experience, it will remain in ACC until something is done to take it out of that mode. In other words, it'll run down the battery if left that way.
Didn’t know that. I always thought the ACC mode will always be cut off in preset 30 minutes.

Back