Sport Compact Car's coverage of MSP

Apparently, in the October issue of SCC, there is a dyno of the MSp-155lb-ft torque and 151hp at wheels. I am dying to see this article. Please, could someone who has received it scan it in and post it.

ive looked through the whole sept issue there is no article what so ever , it has a mp3 review thats it, and it shows a yellow mp3 with a body kit but thats all i dont think oct issue is out, cause the one is saw is the new issue.

this has already been in a thread on this board and discussed in signifiacnt detail. It is indeed in the october issue of SCC. I got it a cple weeks ago, no scanner or i would scan it. Full write up on test drive os MS, and MS is pictured on top of cover............Z car is on cover.

From Sport Compact Car 10/02 Mazdaspeed Protege review:

"this car is our new benchmark for production car front-drive performance".

Great write-up and photos.

Here's some interesting parts of this article:

Mazdaspeed_SCC_1.jpg

Mazdaspeed_SCC_2.jpg

Love to, but SCC usually doesn't come out in this area for another couple of weeks.

Not cheap, just anxious!!(wiggle)

Last edited:
well i just got the article and it says that the boost is only at 6psi, and they got the 151hp/150tq numbers. i wonder if this is a mis-print of the boost pressure or if this means the actual production vechile will produce more power.

The hp and torque numbers are at the wheels, as opposed to the flywheel. Power is lost in the process. These numbers at the wheels are excellent for the wheels- where it matters. Almost Type R range. But with its handling and braking, it will kill the Type R on the track- also where it matters.

MMMatheart, sorry but I don't have the time right now to scan the full article. Also, I don't have enough place to host the pictures.

MMMatheart, sorry but I don't have the time right now to scan the full article. Also, I don't have enough place to host the pictures.

Just for comparison purposes, I'll post what I've found comparing the HP/Torque numbers of the MS Protege vs. Nissan SE-R Spec V.

Factory Ratings
MS Protege - 170hp @ 5500rpm - 155 lb-ft torque @ 4500rpm
Spec-V - 175hp @ 6000rpm - 180 lb-ft torque @ 4000rpm

Actual Wheel Horsepower
MS Protege
(SCC Dyno) - 151hp @ 5800rpm - 150 lb-ft torque @ 3800rpm
Spec-V
(SCC Dyno) - 141hp @~5800rpm - 150 lb-ft torque @~3800rpm
Spec-V
(freakishly high numbers for a stock Spec-V, as found in this thread.)
155.1hp @ 6000rpm - 159.4 lb-ft torque @ 3750 rpm

Integra Type-Rs typically dyno at 160-165hp and 110-115 lb-ft torque (factory ratings 195hp and 130 lb-ft torque.)

I guess I'm trying to illustrate the difference between crank HP and wheel HP, as well as dispel the myth that Spec-Vs are super-powerful. (If the engines make the power that Nissan says they do, then the amount of friction in the driveline is scary.)

That's all. Take it for what it's worth.

Jason

It will be nice to see some real-life head to head battles with the MSP and the Spec V...definitely two worthy competitors. Still have to go for the styling of the Protege as well as the fact that it's far more limited.

Here at least, it was really rare to see the Spec V, now I see it so often and the fact the bodywise it looks so similar to the other Sentras, I always thought was a little unfair for someone dishing out the extra coin.

I bought the latest SCC yesterday, and I remember them hinting at a comparisson test needing to be done when all the new super compacts come out next year.

Back